• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Initial Flight Gear Issue

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Pro tip 2: if/when you need prescription glasses to fly, sometimes NOSTRA inexplicably grinds lenses to something other than your prescription. If your issue eyeglasses instantly give you a headache then congratulations!
Why doesn't the Navy just use Costco optometry/glasses service? A defect free operation if I ever saw one....

BarryD

Contributor
Why doesn't the Navy just use Costco optometry/glasses service? A defect free operation if I ever saw one....
This is the Navy we're talking about here . . . .
Right. Pete flew copilot to Gordo on Gemini 5, and later Dick was Pete's copilot on Gemini 11 - and his CMP on Apollo 12.

View attachment 21403
Pete Conrad doesn't appear to be wearing a Speedmaster on his right wrist. I'm guessing he has it on his left on that other NASA strap.
/endthreadjack

Dontcallmegump

pilot
Right. Why anticipate? Just wear it, or is there some absolutely ridiculous superstition about not wearing it until you're winged?

False. Nothing will identify you more quickly to others as a complete tool than wearing your issued sunglasses. Chuck wears his as often as possible. Need I say more?

It would be a bold move to show up to an API class wearing the leather when its around 80 out, but be sure that when this winter hits I wont hesitate to wear the leather to keep toasty. I don't buy into the "wait until you wing" myth that crumbles to the authority of NAVPERS 6803 and my weakness to withstand cold.

As for the glasses I'll hang onto them but they don't fit my (literately) big head. I've got a good pair of glasses that I've gotten used to wearing under another type of helmet that are in uniform regs.

In defense of little Gump's anticipation, it was eighty degrees in Pensacola today...

... so he could probably only wear that iconic pleather G-1 for about an hour or so.

The sunglasses are perfectly fine sunglasses- good optical quality and durability. If you like them then wear them and don't worry about it. If you don't like them then don't wear them and don't worry about it. Either way you're going to look like every other military dude in Pensacola.

I've never cared for the bayonet-style whatever the things that go back to your ears are called, although that's so they you can put them on and take them off with your helmet on. That ear piece and frame style is the default frame for Navy prescription sunglasses (unless you deliberately ask for one of the other styles before the HMs send your eyeglasses order off to NOSTRA). Pro tip: the metal thing inside the plastic ear piece sometimes slides out if you are wearing a helmet at take the glasses off. Put a tiny dab of krazy glue on the very tip of metal thing, just the tip, and it'll stay put.

The NEX sells the gold frame versions for about thirty bucks, https://www.mynavyexchange.com/eagle-eyes-unisex-freedom-sunglasses/11200283 (there is all sorts of moto stuff in the sale literature about NASA and fighter pilots).

Pro tip 2: if/when you need prescription glasses to fly, sometimes NOSTRA inexplicably grinds lenses to something other than your prescription. If your issue eyeglasses instantly give you a headache then congratulations!

The optometrist at OCS tried to tell me that I didn't have 20/20 vision and would need glasses to fly. At NAMI the HM doing the test laughed when I told him that and said my vision was good enough to fly on all accounts. Ill keep the NOSTRA warning for when I'm not so lucky some day.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The optometrist at OCS tried to tell me that I didn't have 20/20 vision and would need glasses to fly. At NAMI the HM doing the test laughed when I told him that and said my vision was good enough to fly on all accounts. Ill keep the NOSTRA warning for when I'm not so lucky some day.
They're both right but the optometrist is probably more right. Some days you miss one too many letters on the 20/20 line and other days you pass. Some days you're sleep deprived and dehydrated and the eye test machine has dirt on the viewport. Other days the eye chart is in a brightly lit room and easy to read.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
It has your lucky day!!! My employer is a Nigerian Prince who just so happen to give aways many many gold color RANDOLPH standard issue Navy Avyator sunglasses, in Exchange For the graphite grey colour sunglasses. Please to just mail me these unwanted sunglasses in the postal mail, and my supervisor Prince shall send immediately you the Gold RANDOLPH sunglasses for you to possess.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Right. Why anticipate? Just wear it, or is there some absolutely ridiculous superstition about not wearing it until you're winged?

False. Nothing will identify you more quickly to others as a complete tool than wearing your issued sunglasses. Chuck wears his as often as possible. Need I say more?
Brett - did you, or I wear our G1 issued in Aircrew School? Honest question. I think I waited (or was hazed into believing), I WILL wait until I was winged. You?

MGoBrew11

pilot
Brett - did you, or I wear our G1 issued in Aircrew School? Honest question. I think I waited (or was hazed into believing), I WILL wait until I was winged. You?

That’s the way it was when I was going through. Though looking back it was mostly students giving other students a hard time for wearing it pre-winging.

Now having winged and finished a fleet tour I couldn’t care less if an API student wants to wear their jacket when it’s cold.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The descriptions of Randolph optics differs greatly from my experience. The ones I got (silver) were of an optic quality on par with a poop-smeared window. While the prescription-issued glasses are their own level of bad, their optic quality is still way better than the Randolphs I got. I lost my Randolphs many years ago, and never missed them.

Last edited:

Duc'-guy25

pilot

I've never seen a student wear the G-1. Typically students are told to stick with he summer jacker or the fleece until they're winged. I don't think anyone is superstitious about it, but I feel like there would probably be some talk about you in the ready room by the IPs if you showed up to the squadron one morning with the G-1 on. The impression given to me was the right to wear it comes with your wings.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I went through in August, but I did wear it in A-school during the Fall and subsequently. We didn't get winged until getting to our ultimate duty station (about 9 months after NACCS).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I also have never worn my G-1, or whatever garbage knockoff API decided to issue me back in the day. I also haven't worn the govt issue sunglasses one time in my life. I'd trade all of those items, that have literally lived out a decade+ crushed into the bottom of some seabag or random PCS box, for an old style O2 mask. Someone should be rotting in prison serving 25 to life for the new style mask existing......or the integrated harness (which I luckily have not yet been required to succumb to). My career has been exemplified by having an excess of things that are useless to me (and by that, I mean you need something, and half the parts to make it are abundant, but there is one part that is unavailable, thus the entire thing is unobtainable), and having to call upon an act of God to acquire the things that are needed to do my job. I guess that is probably just basic supply/demand, aggravated by basic b*tch government civilians being unwilling to do their jobs, but it is what it is. There is probably someone close to the acquisitions or supply worlds that would gladly explain away some logical reason for all of this. In the end, I just know that we don't get what we need, ever or at all.

Last edited:

Dontcallmegump

pilot
I've never seen a student wear the G-1. Typically students are told to stick with he summer jacker or the fleece until they're winged. I don't think anyone is superstitious about it, but I feel like there would probably be some talk about you in the ready room by the IPs if you showed up to the squadron one morning with the G-1 on. The impression given to me was the right to wear it comes with your wings.
I've gotten that impression as well, I've even heard it compared to being the last hold out of earning your brown shoes, boots etc.

Then again if I were willing to rock the boat a bit I might be tempted to pull the whole "what does the instruction say" similar to when someone asks a question that can easily be answered by reading for a few minutes.

I respect tradition, but it seems odd to 1) issue the jacket and 2) be authorized to wear it then be told not to by what isn't a consensus of winged aviators or the competent authority.