• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Inital CQ Vid: F3H-2N, F4D, A4D, F7U

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why do they look so woefully underpowered?

Maybe because they were!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One absolute dog, one jet with an unremarkable but successful career, an aviation legend, and the granddaddy of another legend, all doing carrier suit on the same deck. Cool.

The Demon looks to have had some crazy AOA during cat shots at mil. Maybe they only showed the lower-endspeed tests, but the Skyray looked to have a pretty hairy sink rate on launch. I also find it interesting that they differentiate between "taking a cut" and a "power-on technique," both being apparently valid options. A period of transition in Naval Air right before the angled deck and the meatball, it seems.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Question for our more experienced members... Was the shift towards a 15-18 second groove length associated with the installation of the Fresnel lens?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Demon looks to have had some crazy AOA during cat shots at mil. .

Luckily, I never flew it.. but did 2 cruises with a Demon Squadron in the Airwing. An 'All-Weather' fighter, woefully under-powered, with an unreliable AIM-7 Sparrow A/A missile system, & an engine which tended to flameout in heavy clouds at altitude.

Word was that a number of overrun accidents occurred on takeoff when ferrying early, new production F-3Hs from MacDonnell at Lambert Field (STL). As a result, subsequent new production Demons were trucked/barged to various USAF bases with longer runways.

I recall that the CO, VF-53 on TICO in '61, CDR Nick Smith had suffered badly injured legs previously, on a failed takeoff at Lambert, in a new production ferry. He was in constant pain, walking with a marked limp. How he remained in flight status/passed flight physical, I'll never know...tough ol' bird!

*Nittany, the Demon AOA on cat launch was awesome, looked like a 'plan view' after rotation.. even in burner, SCARY!:eek:VF-53-Demon.jpg
BzB

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
That video is terrifying. I can't believe how big the settles were off the cat. No wonder the accident rate was so high during that time.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Looked like all my CQ sims......don't think I had a single cat shot in one that didn't result in E-cat flyaway.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
<<< *Nittany, the Demon AOA on cat launch was awesome, looked like a 'plan view' after rotation.. even in burner, SCARY!:eek:View attachment 10279
BzB

Thanks for the reminder, Hugh...LOL!!

First cruise in Saratoga w/CAG-3... 1963...VF-31 with us, Demon Drivers all...WTH did the Ensign know about F3s.

My first night hop...no big deal at all...I'm being hooked up to cat #1 in my Spad...Demon is on cat #2 just to my left...winding up to 100%...when I thought he'd just exploded, and we'd all be dead in one microsecond...that Alison J71 had a mighty impressive afterburner!! (Shot the hell outta your night vision, tho...)

blackbart22

pilot
Was in the Dog pattern one black-ass night waiting for the Demons to finish up so that I could get my initial night quals in the Gutless Guppy. I saw a series of three flashes on the ship. The first was when the Demon lit his burner. The second second was when the engine mounts failed on the shot and the third was his ejection seat firing. They fished him out, sent the other Lead Sleds home, and gave us a Charlie.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Maybe it's the camera angle, but it looks like the jets are yawing during the cat shot. What's that all about?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was in the Dog pattern one black-ass night...

Ever notice that these three words so often appear in the opening paragraph of the hairiest "there I was..." TINS stories (usually experienced by JOPAE)?:p
BzB

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe it's the camera angle, but it looks like the jets are yawing during the cat shot. What's that all about?
Maybe former Neandrathal prop-drivers thinking they still needed beaucoup rudder on TO? :D

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Well, this former Neanderthal prop-driver was thinking along the following lines: if Ed Heinemann (of Douglas fame) felt his latest center-line thrust creation required the incorporation of a RUDDER...who was I to neglect operationally checking that equipment before becoming airborne...so I always managed to get it in during the cat shot...LOL!!