• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

In PRT Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWOdogJon

Enlightened follower of the SWOness
Yes, most people at OCS can do the run in 11:30 or better. In my class alone, there were 5 or 6 of us who could do it under 8:50, and one guy who did it under 8:00! You run quite a bit at OCS, but most of it is in formation at a very slow pace. It is running nonetheless and it is a huge part of PT, and from what I saw it is the one event that people improved the most on during their time there. Like I said, you do the PRT once or twice a week, and then once a week you do an individual 3 mile run as fast as you can usually on Saturday. As long as you go all out, all the time (that is, actually run hard and not slack off during the individual runs) you will get results.

ET1.Colon

You know, I keep getting older, and I keep thinking to myself "Now I can finally get a better score on my run!" My stubby legs don't want to play, though. Good thing I can damn near max out on p/u's and s/u's for my age group.

Anyone here actually train with Marines before going to OCS? I had the opportunity a couple of months ago to train with them for about a month. Not only did they run us everyday, which was fun, but as it was a security force training program, they peppersprayed all of us. It was the best--and most painful--experience of my life. It totally changed my attitude towards my Naval career.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ET1.Colon said:
It totally changed my attitude towards my Naval career.

How's that? What did it make you think differently?

ET1.Colon

What they say about the Navy is true. It's what you make of it. After boot camp I spent my first year and a half going through ther nuke pipeline. as if that wasn't grueling enough, i got to my first ship and spent about a year and a half qualifying. the values taught during boot camp are great, but application of said values by superiors, both enlisted and officer from what i saw as a junior sailor (e-5), was lacking. i saw things like chiefs sleeping with blue shirts, officers sleeping with enlisted, favoritism, etc. it left a really bad taste in my mouth. i finally transferred to shore duty after 4 years. when i finally got to hawaii, it took me 6 months before i started going to school again.

the turn around point for me was going to the Auxilliary Security Force Academy here in hawaii. it's run by a marine cadre. the level of motivation that the sergeants and the gunny operate at was very motivating for me, as well as their view on the responsiblity of senior personnel. you can say it rekindled my own sense of duty, motivation, as well as responsibility. aboiut 3 months ago i was ready to get out, but now i'm wowrking on finishing my degree the end of this year, and get my OCS package out by March. i think it's 30 or bust for me (provided i'm getting 0-grade pay).

eaw75

F414Guy said:
You can't tell me that someone would put that much effort in the application process and then look like a bag when they report. In boot camp there were a bunch of guys (including myself) that couldn't do 25 pushups but I expect more from officer candidates.

you wouldn't believe some of the scum bags they let into OCS. some dirties always slip into the pack. they don't make it, of course, but their overall lack of respect and integrity fouls up the process.

there was a guy, prior first class as a matter of fact, who could not complete 10 PUSH-UPS! he resembled a weeble-wobble. he refused to show proper respect for the class team, including officers. as a result of these actions, he was cycled into GTX and humiliated ruthlessly.

ET1.Colon

Tell you what, you see it all the time in the Navy. The Navy PRT standards are easy and lax. Despite this, there are a slew of chiefs and officers in the Navy who are just plain nasty lookin' in uniform. An example would be the Senior Medical Officer on my last boat. He was definitely not within' weight standards. His belt buckle was a missle hazard, due to the stress of keeping his gut restrained, and he couldn't get around without a freakin' cane!

SWOdogJon

Enlightened follower of the SWOness
ET1-
When do you plan on going to OCS? I guarantee that when you get there, you will realize that there are plenty of the nasty wannabe OC's there that we have been talking about. The one about the guy who couldn't even do ten pushups-I think that happened while I was there. Anyway, good luck with your package and feel free to email me with any questions.

ET1.Colon

Thanks SWOdog. I plan on putting in my package around March. I plan to get my degree by the end of this year (hopefully). Seeing as how I wanna go cryppie and intel, we'll see if and when I get a slot and when they schedule me for an OCS date. My goal is to be in OCS by the end of Next year. I should get my OAR in a week and a half, after which I'll start my officer interviews. Lucky for me, my girlfriend is a CTI, and can get me all of the cryppie officer interviews that I need.

As for dirtbags at OCS, I still plan opn having a good time while I'm there. Despite the dirtbags, I know there will be good people there. That's been one of the positives about my career so far in the Navy. Meeting lots of good people.

eaw75

ET1, don't get me wrong, you will meet a lot of great people at OCS. I found many of the DI's, as well as many of the prior enlisted OC's, very inspiring. in fact, I wish there were more people like them in the Navy. best of luck on your package.

ENS SWOdog, maybe that guy was still there with you. they keep some of those guys in GTX forever. he was in the last class we indoced, which I think was 01-04? not sure, it was over a year ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.