• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

In PRT Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophro

SNA--13 Nov 2004
I just recieved a return letter from an Lt. down at OCS regarding the mentoring program. In this letter the Lt. emphasized the following point, and I quote:

"...so that you are running at least three miles, three times a week; are able to complete 105 sit-ups and 87 pushups/48 pushups (male/female)."

Is this true? Do we have to show up with the maximum (outstanding-high) score? If it is true, I hope three and a half months is enough time to get to that level.

eaw75

its a good idea to be at out PRT standards, but not necessary. if you can't get there in 3 1/2 months then you are going to have problems at OCS.

Sophro

SNA--13 Nov 2004
Does any one know off the top of their head what out PRT stanards are, or where I can find out what they are?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, now I am confused. I thought that "out" standards were the "excellent low" category. From the first thread I thought maybe it is the max scores. Can someone tell me exactly which word-category the out standards are? Thanks.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
The out standard is Excellent Low. However, if you can get Outstanding High, by all means do so. I don't know what recruiter thinks you need to show up in that shape, but it's not uncommon that people reach that for the out-prt. Also, if enough people in your class get Excellent Medium (I think, I don't quite remember what the exact formula was), you'll get the PT streamer, and that will make your DI happy.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
That was just a form e-mail that they sent to everyone. They just want you to be in the best possible shape when you go to OCS.

eaw75

if you can score excellent low from the start and you are confident that you can improve by the end of OCS, by all means do it. but it looks bad and the DI's ride you if you don't improve. I actually never improved on my run, I received a lot of attention for that.

also, don't go for outstandings for your in-prt, even if it is easy. you don't want to draw that kind of attention either. if you are a pt stud, try to fly under the radar til the end. the key to OCS success is not being noticed until it counts.

SWOdogJon

Enlightened follower of the SWOness
Like litenin' says, if you show up in outstanding shape (and a few do) and you think you can improve upon that, then go for it. Be sure that the DIs are going to do their best to make you improve. While I was enlisted, I had scored Outstanding Lows on my last three PRTs. I showed up to OCS in moderate shape at best. I think that was just about perfect. By the end I (like just about everyone else) was able to do the run in 8:30, 105 pushups, 120 situps. Trust me, the more room you give yourself to improve, the better. You might catch a bunch of crap on the way up, but so what. Everyone gets yelled at and messed with at OCS. If you don't think you can handle that, then you probably shouldn't be there.

eaw75

straight from the OCS web site:

You must pass the minimum requirements to start OCS. Remember these are minimums to receive a rating of “Probationary”; your goal should be to far exceed these scores!

To be clear, Officer Candidates who meet only the “Probationary” standard will be allowed to commence training. However, if these standards are not met, then the alternative is mandatory remediation at the expense of falling behind the class you start with.

you don't want to show up like a bag of a$$. if you can score a good medium or good high, you are fine.

the most important thing is your score on the practice PRTs after indoc week. they don't expect excellent low standards during your in-PRT, but they do from that point on. in my class, everyone that failed to make excellent low after indoc week got mashed. some people say that it isn't a big deal to get mashed, it happens to everyone. I say the less, the better. they usually do this when you could be working on your RLP which is a much bigger deal.

SWOdogJon

Enlightened follower of the SWOness
By all means, do not show up looking like you not only work in a doughnut factory, but also own the company, all I am saying is that you should show able to do at least 50 pushups, 50 situps and do the run in 11:30. Almost anyone can do that. From there, it will be fairly easy to improve. You do the PRT at least once sometimes twice a week. Don't worry if you are weak in a certain area. You WILL get better. It is a good idea to do some pushups, situps, pullups on your own at night during a study break or RLP prep or something. Every little bit helps.

F414Guy

SWOdogJon said:
By all means, do not show up looking like you not only work in a doughnut factory, but also own the company,

You can't tell me that someone would put that much effort in the application process and then look like a bag when they report. In boot camp there were a bunch of guys (including myself) that couldn't do 25 pushups but I expect more from officer candidates.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
F414Guy said:
You can't tell me that someone would put that much effort in the application process and then look like a bag when they report. In boot camp there were a bunch of guys (including myself) that couldn't do 25 pushups but I expect more from officer candidates.

You'd be surprised. We had a guy roll into our class because he couldn't pass the In-prt push-ups, we had a girl who didn't get pass the IN-prt and rolled into our class 5-weeks later (we were on day 3, she was on 5 weeks and day 3) because she couldn't run. Oh, and to top it off, when we were candios, one guy did a whopping ten pushups for the in-prt. Moral of the story: show up in shape.

ET1.Colon

SWOdogJon said:
By all means, do not show up looking like you not only work in a doughnut factory, but also own the company, all I am saying is that you should show able to do at least 50 pushups, 50 situps and do the run in 11:30. Almost anyone can do that. From there, it will be fairly easy to improve. You do the PRT at least once sometimes twice a week. Don't worry if you are weak in a certain area. You WILL get better. It is a good idea to do some pushups, situps, pullups on your own at night during a study break or RLP prep or something. Every little bit helps.

:eek: 11:30 run?! Yowza. I've been in now for 8 years. Been smoking for 10. I'm at a 12:00 run. Good thing smoking isn't an option while there...

Status
Not open for further replies.