• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

In or Out?

Am I IN or OUT?

• Total voters

plumadore11

I posted in the stats sections of "Paths to a Commission", but I'm looking for a simple in or out response. I understand you all are NOT on the board and can't be consider a sure thing, but as a community I feel you all have a pretty good idea of what the boards are looking for and whether or not I have a shot. I have a 9 month old daughter and am engaged. I really want to get commissioned and obviously through BDCP start getting paid as soon as possible.

Here are my stats:

I am applying for BDCP Supply, PAO, SWO.

Saint Leo University
GPA: 3.1/4.0
Business Management

High School Extra Curricular:
Varsity football (co-captain)
Varsity basketball (captain)
National Honor roll
Who's Who Among America's Top High School Student's recognition

College Extra Curricular:
Men's Varsity Basketball
Co-Founder and Vice-President of The Society of Free Thinkers Philosophy Club
Personal Development Award Winner (Men's Basketball)

Volunteer Work:
Raymond James Stadium Concessions
Dominican Republic Missions Trip
Reading to local Elementary School Children
Work with "Support Our Troops" in Wesley Chapel, FL

ASTB: 3/3/3 44

PRT:
98 sit-ups (outstanding-low)
75 push-ups (excellent-medium)
9:40 run (excellent-high)

LOR's: 2 professors (ph.d's)
college basketball coach

2 Job references- both excellent
Great motivational statement

**I also have something negative. I was arrested (felony) at 13. Case was dismissed, but nonetheless a felony. Haven't been in trouble since. I addressed it in the remarks section of the application and did a good job explaining my youthful dumb-assed-ness.**

Thanks for any input. Pray for me, if that's something you're into.:angel_125

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Somehow I expected this thread to be about delicious food.

Good luck dude, but this thread is extremely pointless... there's just no way to know until you get the board results. Also I don't know what kind of ASTB scores they usually take for SWO or Supply but yours aren't that high... why did you take the whole ASTB if you aren't applying aviation or intel?

Again, best of luck. You have a good, well-rounded resume.

exo

I was mostly focused on the aviation aspect, not what you're going into so I don't know how low they will go on the ASTB. You seem well rounded... however that is an abysmally low ASTB and I would highly recommend retaking it.

Yeah and I second the pointlessness of this thread.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I was mostly focused on the aviation aspect, not what you're going into so I don't know how low they will go on the ASTB. You seem well rounded... however that is an abysmally low ASTB and I would highly recommend retaking it.

Yeah and I second the pointlessness of this thread.

Second that. Go retake the ASTB. Back when I was picked up anything less than a 50 wouldn't be looked at. But that was 5 years ago.

navy09

None
There's no doubt you're well rounded, but your GPA is low and your ASTB is very, very poor. Those are going to be the two biggest determinants, so if they suck you're in trouble. Study for the ASTB and give it another try.

A few observations in no particular order:

-Forget anything you did in HS. You're not applying to college here, you're applying for a job.

-"Raymond James Stadium Concessions" isn't volunteer work. Someone got paid for that, even if you didn't.

-Being arrested for a felony is a big deal- BUT, depending on what it was it might not be a show stopper since you were so young.

nugget61

pilot
... Forget anything you did in HS. You're not applying to college here, you're applying for a job.
They care about HS stuff when you're applying BDCP.

"Raymond James Stadium Concessions" isn't volunteer work. Someone got paid for that, even if you didn't.
Leave this in your package. It IS volunteer work, doesn't matter that your organization was paid for it, as long as the money went to a non-profit group.

Like others have said, get the GPA up and study and retake the ASTB. Just keep in mind you can only take it a total of 3 times in your life, so be ready when you retake.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I am applying for BDCP Supply, PAO, SWO.

As others have said, we're not the board, but I can pretty much say not to hold your breath on PAO. That's a really small community and a lot of those guys are fleet lateral transfers.

plumadore11

Thank you to everyone who gave me some insight. I guess I really screwed up the ASTB, it's funny because I didn't think it was tough at all, but I guess I underestimated the exam's "power".

Anyway, I will be submitting my package, and hopefully they see in me what they are looking for and overlook my sub-par ASTB and GPA. Regardless, I can retake the test at the end of March. By that time my GPA will be higher than 3.1, because I'm trying in school now, instead of getting by.

Is there a time limit for re-application for commission? (Please don't say 6 months).

navy09

None
Is there a time limit for re-application for commission? (Please don't say 6 months).

Pretty sure that's right. Is there any way you can re-take the ASTB before you submit your package. Seems like it's throwing away a submission if you send it in with a failing ASTB grade.

exo

Don't worry too much about that little poll either. If you ant this enough you just gotta go out there and get the things done to make it happen. Spend a lot of time studying for the ASTB and make your grades better. That's the biggest thing you need to do.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The part about "I'm actually trying now" doesn't bode well for your future IMHO. You're in college now, and (hopefully) building a stepping stone to whatever it is that you do next. Some of us (myself especially) did absolutely nothing in high school and barely graduated, but then sucked it up big time in college and things worked out. From what I have seen, it doesn't work the other way, and it appears you are fighting that very situation. Yes BDCP may care a little bit about your high school stuff, but it looks like you are depending on that to carry you through. Your ASTB is one of the worst I have seen, and your GPA, given your academic major, is nothing that will put you above your competition. If you really want this, suck it up and do well in college and don't think that some extra-curriculars will pick up the slack if you don't. I'm wasn't a BDCP type, but if this doesn't work out for you, you still have time to improve your overall package and just do straight OCS. It won't pay you for school, but it will get you the butter bars. Not trying to be a dick here, just giving you my honest opinion in the hope that will help you re-prioritize.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Echo what everyone else said above.

Maybe this can give some encouragement. I did very well in HS. I graduated (if you want to call it that) from college with a 2.52 GPA in a non-engineering major. However, I smoked the ASTB and made sure I had good extracurriculars and letters of rec.

The Navy is not going to judge you by your GPA and ASTB alone but they are going to take account of the whole person. Excelling in academics and showing you have an aptitude to learn the concepts the Navy will teach you are an important factor in all that.

I think you know retaking the test is obvious and just make sure you highlight your positives and address your negatives in a way that you aren't making excuses. Then you should be good to go in my opinion.

Good luck.

P.S. Take heed of MIDNJAC's advice. I'm smarter and better looking, but he flies jets...

nugget61

pilot

As previously stated, it is a 6 month wait if you're not selected, however if you can 'significantly improve' your package then they will waive the wait time (ASTB score increases constitute a significant improvement)