• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

In flight refueling photos...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Tanking, schmanking ... everything depicted herein, while "pretty", is relatively benign and routine. Not easy at first, for sure --- I fogged my visor so bad on the first plug in the RAG with all the huffin' and puffin' that I had to raise it to see ... :D ...

So what is the most dangerous flying any of you will EVER do ??? Combat or otherwise ???? .... and obviously, everything is relative.

Just my $20 worth ... but anyone ever hear the call .... "Hawk the Ball"??? :eek:

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I asked the question to a KC-135 Boomer a couple years back as to whether she liked the boom or the basket better. She told me that she likes the boom simply because she has control and that she has had more than one basket "ripped" from the airplane.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I asked the question to a KC-135 Boomer a couple years back as to whether she liked the boom or the basket better. She told me that she likes .....
That's rich; what "she" likes .... "she likes the boom" .... as if any "receivers" give a rip about what the fuel-fat "boom operator" likes .... :)

I love it.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I guess the bottom line of this thread is that when it comes to aerial refueling (much like the services in general), the Navy does the fvcking and the AF get's fvcked.:D

Not always the case...
The bastard child of Naval Aviation gets "the shaft".

1202081.jpg

The MMA will also get "da boom".

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
kc1355.jpg

Those wing mounted basket refuleing pods can be a beyotch to tank off of. So far from the longitudinal centerline of the AC that very small movements of the wingtips (in the lightest of bumpy air) fling the basket about a lot.

Centerline tanking tends to be most stable...IMHNFOOFTBS (in my humble NFO Opinion From The backseat).

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
I'd much rather give the probe than take it.

Photo evidence.

Attachments

• cosmotank.JPG
    cosmotank.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 75

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
kc1355.jpg

Those wing mounted basket refuleing pods can be a beyotch to tank off of. So far from the longitudinal centerline of the AC that very small movements of the wingtips (in the lightest of bumpy air) fling the basket about a lot.

Centerline tanking tends to be most stable...IMHNFOOFTBS (in my humble NFO Opinion From The backseat).

Not to mention the dihedral of the wing is FAR from parallel to the horizon. It feels like you're in a 5-10 degree angle of bank when the tanker is flying straight and level! I can't imagine having to get gas from that thing in the goo...

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Yes didn't it have something to do with "flash point?"

Steve

Looks like JP-5 is still around for the boats and here's a little more info I didn't know (swiped off Wikipedia fwiw)

JP-8, or JP8 (for "Jet Propellant") is a jet fuel, specified in 1990 by the U.S. government. It is kerosene-based. It is a replacement for the JP-4 fuel; the U.S. Air Force replaced JP-4 with JP-8 completely by the fall of 1996, in order to use less flammable, less hazardous fuel for better safety and combat survivability. U.S. Navy uses a similar formula to JP-8, JP-5. JP-8 is projected to remain in use at least until 2025. It was first introduced at NATO bases in 1978. Its NATO code is F-34. It is specified by MIL-DTL-83133 and British Defence Standard 91-87.

Commercial aviation uses a similar mixture under the name Jet-A. JP-8 in addition contains icing inhibitor, corrosion inhibitors, lubricants, and antistatic agents.

JP-5 has even higher flash point than JP-8, but it also has prohibitively higher cost, limiting its use to aircraft carriers.

Outside of powering aircraft, JP-8 finds its use as a fuel for heaters, stoves, tanks, and other military vehicles, and serves as a coolant in engines and some other aircraft components.

JP-8 contains less benzene (a carcinogen) and less n-hexane (a neurotoxin) than JP-4. However, it also smells stronger than JP-4 and has an oily feel to touch, while JP-4 feels more like a solvent. Workers have complained of smelling and tasting JP-8 for hours after exposure. As JP-8 is less volatile, it remains on the contaminated surfaces for longer time, increasing the risk of exposure.

JP-8+100 is a version of JP-8 with an additive that increases its thermal stability by 100 °F (56 °C). The additive is a combination of a surfactant, metal deactivator, and an antioxidant. It was introduced in 1994. The additive reduces coking and fouling in engine fuel system. Commercially, this additive is used in Boeing aircraft operated by KLM, and in police helicopters in Tampa, Florida. [1]

JP-8 fuel is used at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, for heating, electrical generation, and melting ice for water. It is used because it will not gel at low temperatures.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I worked in the Air Division on board LPD-8 this summer and they definitely used JP-5 for the SH-60's that were qualing on board. Made sure it was clean myself... :tongue2_1

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Tanking, schmanking ... everything depicted herein, while "pretty", is relatively benign and routine. Not easy at first, for sure --- I fogged my visor so bad on the first plug in the RAG with all the huffin' and puffin' that I had to raise it to see ... :D ...

So what is the most dangerous flying any of you will EVER do ??? Combat or otherwise ???? .... and obviously, everything is relative.

Just my $20 worth ... but anyone ever hear the call .... "Hawk the Ball"??? :eek:

A4's, I think you just nailed the most challenging flying in Naval Aviation....blue water ops, a dark ass night, no moon, low scud, in and out of clouds, already low on gas from giving it to the last two Phantoms with low fuel, and the Boss tells you to hawk the Phantom, give him all you can if he bolters and, when he does, he finds you right in position off his bolter and you drive him around, engaged and transferring the whole time to set him up perfectly on glide slope and on speed or slightly fast (for him) at about a mile and a half, then you get to haul the tanker around in a short pattern with enough gas for one look.