• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Improving chances of getting to OCS while in school

Lobster

I actually think that working while in school is the key. IMO, they want to see that you have good time management skills, since most officers in the Navy have multiple jobs at once.

Going off of what Pags said and reiterating his point, I didn't have any sort of job during my first two years of college that were included in my package and I got in. Working while in school is not the only way to display your time managment skills and one of the beauty things about college is there are numerous OTHER opportunities to showcase your ability to manage your time...

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
One thing to not exclude is anything you have done outside of college. I took a year off after high school and gained a bit of international experience. I was able to put that down on my application and I feel that it probably helped my overall BDCP package.

RussBow6

Done and done. Never even been to Colorado.

And I have a 2.79 in theatre, that somehow worked out for me too.

hahah nice at least you'll be able to act cool during sere. bucknell is a legit school though... some kids at 'nova were there cause they didnt get into bucknell...

Nice, I had a 2.71 in Business from Villanova. You almost have to try to get a GPA that low.

Needless to say, I had a BLAST in college.

nice to see another novan on here. that business school took off. saying your from Villanova's school of business will turn heads nowadays... bball getting awesome again during the last 4-5 years definitely helped too.

'nova gets a bad rap but i had a blast as well. playing a sport definitely helped. its all about what you put in... make friends and get involved and anything gets fun. the girls are beautiful though and when you mix in booze it was a grrrrreeat 4 years.

like 7's or above right?

he told me to get him a 60 and he'd guarentee me a OCS slot... i was an ass and only got a 59 but it worked out. still mad i didnt hold up my end cause i said aye aye on the 60+

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Yeah, I was an '08 grad. I went to one basketball game my entire time there. Whenever I'd get tickets I would pregame so hard that I'd never make it to the actual game. Sucks. I kinda regret it.

Whatever, I had a shitload of fun. I want to go back.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Yeah, but if you're studying engineering you should be able to get 8's and 9's without too much trouble.

That's not necessarily true for everyone. The math and mechanics section should be no problem. But the AQFAR/PFAR/FOFAR aren't comprised of just those two sections.

The verbal section gave me problems on the test whereas it was fine on practice. Having taken only 1 english class and writing technical reports doesn't make your vocabulary as good as one who might be non-technical major (meaning you write more papers and prob had more than that one eng. class).

The aviation/nautical sections won't help much from engineering, except for aerospace and maybe mechanical. I knew the parts of an airplane and understood basic aerodynamics and how control surfaces acted on the plane in diff scenarios. However, I knew nothing about the rules and regs of certain things regarding landing at airports, reading a runway, if X instrument says this, how does it have an effect on Y?, etc. There were acronyms and questions I had no clue about, but still studied my ass off to the best of my ability as someone w/o a PPL. I also see that you went to Embry. Their engineering program and school in general gives a much better advantage in regards to aviation than most engineering schools. Michigan didn't have an aviation program in which to go and get flight experience or take aviation classes. Our classes were aircraft and spacecraft based, but only dealt w/ propulsion, aerodynamics, structural, and flight control aspects.

The spatial section only becomes easier w/ practice and if you can visualize things 3-dimensionally and be able to pull your POV from 1st person to 2nd person.

These are just my .02 cents, but I def. don't think your statement above is justifiable in every case, nor should gouge be spread saying that is how it is...

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Yeah, you make some good points. I stand corrected.

How about this? If you're a well rounded aerospace engineering student with your ppl and good reading/english skills...uhh...you'll be fine...?

:slaphappy

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Hahaah I guess that might be fair.

And in my own defense, I do have a decent vocabulary, but my point was made.

jtmedli

pilot
Yeah, you make some good points. I stand corrected.

How about this? If you're a well rounded aerospace engineering student with your ppl and good reading/english skills...uhh...you'll be fine...?

:slaphappy

I was electrical engineering with my PPL....and I'd like to think I'm literate. :D