• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Important...

Status
Not open for further replies.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Hi all, I have recently submitted my packet to naval aviation but am beginning to think I want to go the Marine Corps route. I have met with an OSO and we are putting together my application which is pretty easy since we can use most of the naval application (i.e. MEPS physical and ASTB). Anyway, my question is this, is the marine corps vision requirement the same as the navy's? I know that it is 20/30 but is it also waiverable to 20/70 as is the navy's? I ask b/c right now I have 20/25 and I don't want to get done with OCC and TBS only to find that I slipped down to 20/40 or something by the time I get to the flight physical and then get booted. Especially since I know the Navy allows 20/70 waivers.... Any info would be appreciated, specifically web links with the updated regulations for marine vision requirements. Thanks

Phiman

What? The Navy allows waivers to 20/70? Please tell the boy with 20/40(me) that this is true. You can have my first born.

JTP

Air Force is 20/70, Navy 20/40, and Marines is I think 20/70 also. They're not as strict on there standards b/c most of their fleet is land based instead of carrier, w/ the exception of a few sqds.

YEAH COME ON!!

E6286

OCC 191 Select
I KNOW navy is 20/40 but it is waiverable to 20/70, I know that for a fact, are you sure about the marines? Also, does anybody know the percentage of candidates that pass OCC and the basic school and then the percentage of those that actually go on to flight school?

marti

The really nice thing about going for Marine Corps Aviation is that they will actually guaranty you a SNA or SNFO slot. What makes this better than the Navy is the fact that the Marines give you the flight physical before they accept you into the program. The Navy waits till you are at OCS I believe. This is where and why poeple get the dreaded NAMI wammi. If you have something that is going to disqualify you from the program you will know about it before you leave for OCC. With the Navy you may be almost done with OCS before they drop the bomb on you. Good Luck. -MARTI

Rainman

pilot
In May of 2001, Marines made 20/40 the minimum standard for all platforms ; you can read about it on the Marine Corps Times website or the official deal on a DoD website (sorry I don't have it handy). I couldn't say about waivers beyond that. .i've been floating quite nicely @ 20/40 for some time.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
So nobody still has told me what Marine aviation is waiverable to for certain. I am only 20/25 but I was just wondering in case things were to lower a bit in my eyes.... Thanks, Ed Bye the way, anybody have any recs. on how to prepare for the marine PFT? It is a mother compared to the navy's....

Tessone

My only recommendation is to run EVERY DAY. Your cardio will improve much faster if you do, and that will really help your run time.

I study martial arts (Kuk Sool), so my pullups and crunches are coming right along. The run is my big problem, too. I've taken to doing what my master in Kuk Sool calls "four-sided forms". It's where you start each form (it's a pre-determined sequence of martial arts moves) facing north, go through the whole form, then turn west and start again. Do for each direction, then move on to the next form. I only know three forms (I'm a blue belt), but trust me, that will get your heart pumping big time.

chadspec

Marines and Navy are the same. 20/40, correctable to 20/20. I'm pretty certain these are NOT waiverable. More importantly though are these requirements: (Cycloplegic) Myopia no more than -1.50 any meridian. Hyperopia no more than +3.00 any meridian. Astigmatism no greater than -1.00 cylinder.

For example, my eyes' (acuity) are better than 20/30, and my eyes are still not good enough for SNA. The crucial numbers are the refractive errors (spherical and cylindric) measured in diopters. Spherical errors produce myopia and hyperopia (near-sightedness and far-sightedness, resp.). Cylinder errors indicate astigmatism. The most current requirements are available at:
http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/exams.htm#sna
Requirements for SNFO are considerably less stringent. There is a PRK Accession Study ongoing. The NOMI guys at Pensacola say acceptance is wide-open. If you are in this study, you can receive a waiver if your eyes (post-operatively) meet SNA requirements. More info on the PRK waiver stuff is here:
http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/ophthalmology.htm#lasik

Hope this helps you. P.S. The dilation of your eyes isn't any big deal. No pain, just a little hard to focus and handle bright light for a few hours afterward--have someone else drive you home!

Later,
chad
chad@specphysics.com

E6286

OCC 191 Select
How does one have near 20/20 and not meet refractive errors? Also, are their local eye doctors that can measure these errors in their offices? Lastly, how long does the PRK waiver process take?

Rainman

pilot
alright alright. . I'll just have to sink a little lower. ..

Yeah, in third grade my vision was pretty decent. . . that's how I know about your momma.

Smith, why don't you start your own thread where you can leave me little love messages all day long--or didn't the navy teach you any 'puter skills before they kicked you out?

Semper Fi

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
What the hell is the trash? Cunninglinguist, or whatever the hell you call yourself, grow the f*** up. Are you a military officer? God damn I hope not, because you're an embarassment to all of us. I hope to god you're not Marine...that would just be unthinkable that you would try to start some elementary school recess-like argument with a fellow Marine and try to put him down every goddamn time he writes something. Honestly, re-read your messages. If you can't understand how childish they are, i really feel sorry for you. All you do on this forum is write dumb ass crap in reply to Mountain. And for all those who are not yet Marines but want to be, pay no attention to this jackass. He's no Marine...

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
No problem man, i had just had a pissy day, thats all. I have a little rage problem, thats all... its being taken care of.
later

Rainman

pilot
quote:
should i lock my body while typing?

yes.

quote:
and to those with aspirations of being a marine... you shouldn't even be on here..

CL, I'm sure we should take your advice as to who should "be on here." Look, we all have a good idea of your garrulous name calling skills. .Why not take some of that pugnacious effort and put it towards assisting others? Aren't we all on the same side?

--Josh (aka Salty Dork aka Retard)

Pat, check your email. Stay motivated! Semper Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.