• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Important Question about past medical files

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeAE2005

My father was in the military, so I of course was a military brat. And I'm sure somewhere they have my medical files.

Will the Navy EVER see these medical files? Or will they base their medical findings solely on their own physical examinations they will be giving to me?

-Joe

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
irked_125.gif

geerst

Hello Joe,

The Navy will establish your medical record based on what you bring in day-one. A corpsman will not dig thru archives of dependent records looking for yours.

Sounds like you have something in your medical past that concerns you. One of the hallmarks of a Naval officer is honesty. When you start your medical records, you will be asked if you had a medical problem in the past. You should disclose that for several reasons: 1) So the doctors can learn of your medical history for future treatments; 2) To see if you qualify for military service.

If you are not qualified, you should not join up. The Navy is counting on you to be mission-capable. To remain on the beach at a hospital wearing a white dress all day, leaving an empty cockpit on the boat, is not supporting your Nation or your shipmates.

Just my thoughts on this. Good luck to you.

LCDR Geers

Spin

SNA in Meridian
LCDR Geers,

A quick question on the above ... you said the Navy (I am actually applying for Marines) won't go looking through "dependent" records looking for yours. But do they do a general background search into your own personal medical records? I am not looking to hide anything. About 8 years ago my cheek bone was fractured, I had minor surgery and I have been fine since. I am putting this down on my med sheet but if the Docs are going to look up my history anyway I figured I would not get the files myself. I am not trying to be lazy or anything ... just don't want to do the footwork if it is a waste of time to do so. Thanks!

Best,

Spin

geerst

Hello Spin,

The Navy will add to your newly created medeical record what you bring in. If you reveal on the MEPS pre-screen documents that you broke your ankle in the 8th grade, on the day of your MEPS physical the staff will want to see supporting documents from previous doctors or current consults stating the ankle is OK. All this will go into your medical record. On the other hand, if you had a condition that was treated, fixed, but not disclosed to MEPS or the Navy, and several years into the Navy the condition returns, if asked how long you had this and you respond since childhood, that creates a problem.

Anyway, I digress. You will need to bring to MEPS all your medical documents pertaining to the cheek bone fracture. The Navy will not go searching for it.

Good luck. LCDR Geers

NuSnake

When I went to MEPS I had shoulder problems in high school from a baseball injury, a subluxation(sp?), pop half way out then go back in. They told me a dislocation was a disqualification, but they sent me to an orthopedic guy at a local hospital and he pulled and tugged and made me cry and stuff tryin to get it to pop out again and it didnt so they cleared me. Just be honest and itll all work out.

Meegz

Does anyone know if you will be disqualified from aviation if you had tubes in your ears when you were a kid?

Meghan

JoeAE2005

What if you are allergic to pollen? I think I read that this disqualifies you for aviation, in both the Navy and the Air Force. Do they give waivers for these, and if so, under what conditions? I live in Florida, and we just had our "blossoming" period about 3 weeks ago. For about a week I had allergies (occasional sneezing). But after that week it's back to normal. I don't take any medications for it, since it's not bad and only lasts for a week.

-Joe

TANGO 1

Contributor
The new Navy now works on a network where all they need to put in is your SSN and then your record shows up on a screen, it also shows dependants and all other good information. Now are they going to pull that, i don't think so, but you never know. The doctor at MEPs does not know you are a military brat.
"A Naval Avaitors nightmare is that old man at Pensacola waiting to disqualify you"

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
JoeAE2005 said:
What if you are allergic to pollen? I think I read that this disqualifies you for aviation, in both the Navy and the Air Force. Do they give waivers for these, and if so, under what conditions? I live in Florida, and we just had our "blossoming" period about 3 weeks ago. For about a week I had allergies (occasional sneezing). But after that week it's back to normal. I don't take any medications for it, since it's not bad and only lasts for a week.

-Joe

You are going to get a ton of different answers about this one. Here is the fact. I HAVE ALLERGIES AND AM STILL A PILOT! Flight surgeon at NOMI perscribed allergey meds to me. SO did the docs in Corpus and Whiting. The problem arises when your allergies are so bad that the meds make you feel better, but not good enough to keep you flying EVERY day. You can't be going med down every other day becuase your ears are clogged. Couple meds that they authorize (off the top of my head), Flonase, Allegra D, and flunisolide.

As far as the docs pulling up medical records on computers. Yes the are moving TOWARD that. They do not have every dependent, retirery, active duty in that system yet. It is still mostly paper files, with new treatments going into electronic files.

When I applied 8yrs ago, I had to provide info from a surgery I had when I was 8, called the hospital where I had it done, had them fax it to BUMED and I never heard anything about it again. They are mostly looking for complication or long lasting effects from old injuries/conditions.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok look
Some things are just totally unnecessary to bring up and only cause you more headaches. Case in point... when I applied to the Academy back in, uh... 96? I told dodmerb the whole story. Every little thing. Why? Because I didn't know any better. I had to go digup records from a pediatrician, ENT, and an orthopedist (all retired, which made it extra fun). Records that had NO bearing on my current health. When I went through all the physical stuff again for rotc, then flight training, I left out all that childhood stuff. Still, it had no bearing on my current health, so there was no reason to cause a headache. And guess what? None of it has affected me in any way to this day. There is absolutely no way they have the means to go digging and find out every past record from every servicemember.

To put it plainly, if it's not a factor, there's no reason to mention it. They're not going to revoke your commission if they found out you broke your arm when you were 10 or something, so long as it has no bearing on your current health. Chronic conditions like asthma and whatnot aren't the same, so don't bother with the slippery slope argument - use some common sense. The only docs who ever make an issue of "why didn't you mention this or that" are the ones who deal with inprocessing at MEPS or DODMERB or wherever they do it. Flight docs will flat out tell you...don't mention stuff.

As for computerized medical records...HA. Navy Medical, next to Navy Admin, has the most incompetent record keeping that I've ever seen. EVERY time I've PCS'd the clinic neglected to do something important in the record and I had to jump through hoops when I checked in to the followon duty station.

I'll pass the advice an Marine Colonel told a large group of us... "When dealing with Navy Medical, admit nothing, deny everything, and make counter-accusations

Status
Not open for further replies.