• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I'm back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, I'm back. Just returned a couple days ago from a month of leave. My wife and I went camping all through a bunch of national parks and state parks. Pretty much drove all over the west. Had a real blast just taking it easy and doing whatever the hell I wanted to do. There were a few days I just sat in my chair and did nothing all day. I'll have to put up a few pictures of our trip. We saw everything from snow in June throughout Montana and Yellowstone to a heatwave through Utah and Nevada.

Anyway, checked onboard the LINCOLN today. Didn't really get much done since the ship is in their POM (pre overseas movement) period and it was right before lunch (on a Friday) so a lot of people were already gone. Did get to meet my immediate supervisor (not the department head as he is my boss's boss -- it's different on a carrier) and my technical assistant (a salty and most definately dirty CWO4 -- all warrants are dirty). Warrant took me around the ship, showed me the gyms and helped me get a stateroom. Good room too....a 4 man on the O-3 level (meaning - away from the cats and arresting wires) so I should be able to sleep peacefully. I'll take care of the other main admin stuff next week. Just basically needed to stop my leave before the weekend and get a stateroom. Mission accomplished.

Thankfully, I'm back online as well here in my hotel (even though it is AOL - free for one month...perfect - and is 56K). Least I'll be able to keep up with what's going on in the forum now.

Take care.

--Steve Wilkins

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Steve,

Sea command to sea command... but as usual you are still kicking ass and taking names. Glad you got a good room, we had to send officers from our command to the boat (VPLNO) while on deployment, amusing to hear their stories on getting lost!

Glad to hear that you were able to relax, one week back now, and I STILL feel like I am on deployment (aside from being home with the kids and wife), can't wait till my leave starts week after next!

Great that you had fun on the trip, and you were able to chill out in the great outdoors, I am sure Goldie had a blast!

Later, going to walk down to the beach now, life is rough...

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
Steve,
There is not one stateroom, office or void that is safe from the cats and a/g on the O-3 level. No matter what anybody tells you, your screwed buddy!

Don't sweat the small stuff!

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My bad, my bad. My room is on the 3rd deck midships I think. I honestly have no clue where the room is in relation to actual forward/aft of the ship other than the frame number (which tells me nothing since I don't know how many frames there are). I remember that they were trying to give me some room on the O-3 level with JP-5 piping right above the rack. But good old warrant kept telling them that "no, he doesn't want that room" and was workin his magic to get me a good room. The room number they gave me on the envelope for the key card (like the ones hotels give for the room locks) says it is 3-190-12-L. Now looking at that, that tells me it's 2 decks below the main deck, not on the O-3 level. Hell, I don't even know anymore. I feel like a friggin Ensign reporting to my first ship. I plan on taking some stuff in tomorrow to drop off, so I'll just have to get lost again I guess. Yes, John, you can laugh your ass off now. Might as well cause I sure am. But the definate plus is that the gyms are great. I'll keep you updated.

--Steve

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Steve, I may be laughing, but I would be JUST as lost as you are! Way back when, I had to take some SCUBA tanks from the boat up to the tender one time to get recharged, here I am wandering all over the tender, lost, carrying a set of twin 80s, looking for the divelocker. You think I was given correct directions by ship's personnel? Hell, no I wasn't, I wonder how much they were betting on how long it would take me to either a) die of fatigue or b) find the dive locker! What finally synched it was me walking down the command passageway and getting yelled at by an O4. I was like, "Command p-way, whats a &@^#%$& command p-way?", needless to say that conversation was exteremely onesided and did not go over to well. But, he did give me good directions to the dive locker.

Anyways, hope the room is quiet, and you get all settled in. Also, hope the house hunting goes well also!

-- John

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
You might have gotten away from the cats and a/g, but it sounds like your just above the screws. It's a constant violent shake that will put you right to sleep; after 3 hours. jajaja

Don't sweat the small stuff!

OracleMSU

Civvy SNA Hopeful
Okay, so if the only way you can sleep is wearing earplugs, how are you supposed to get up on time? Just a small question from a not-even-close-to-being-navy-guy.

-----OracleMSU--------

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, ok, I'm rockin n rollin now. Starting to feel like a salty SWO again. I can say positively now that my room is definately on the 3rd deck (i.e. 2 below the hangar bay). It's at frame 192 (out of 240 for the whole ship). See, on small boys, frames are numbered by the foot, whereas here, the frames are numbered by every 4 feet.

I'm figuring out where a lot more stuff is while I've been checking in. As for the noise down in the hole, I'm not really sweating it now. I put up with plenty of racket on the cruiser as the flight deck was right over most of O-country (where our staterooms were too). Believe me, after the midwatch or rev, you could pretty much care less. Now the chains are a different story. I think those guys dragged the friggin chains agross the deck on purpose. As for the vibrations from the screws, the whole ship (cruiser) vibrates when you change speed. My only concern with my room was the cats and A/G. I think I'm probably the safest I'm gonna get where my room is. Thankfully, the A/C is good too Of course, my division takes care of that so I don't ever expect to have any problems. Matt, I can see how all the aviators get screwed up on the O-2 and O-3 level. Walking down the p-way I can see pretty much nothing but squadron posters up on the stateroom doors, so I'm figuring that's where they stick you guys. My roomates are a couple of LDO nukes -- good guys though, I can't hold the nuke think against them.

All in all, a huge difference between the crudes navy and the carrier. But that's good, because that's exactly what I wanted. I don't like feeling like a nub, but that'll soon pass. And John, I should be seeing you in about a month.

--Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.