• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS>Primary

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you're good and perform a maneuver shit hot, after the first flight in the block, you WILL get above MIF and possibly a 4 or 5 for it. Remember when you were at Corpus and getting five to six 5's on a flight was shit hot? Well guess what, at Vance, I had entire flights with every graded event a 5. That's like forty-five to fifty 5's on ONE flight, get that anywhere else? I guarantee not. It wasn't common for every flight, but it did happen, and more than once.

That's interesting, and I hadn't heard that before, but here's where I think your premise fails (in general, maybe not specifically in your case): they take those NSSesses and adjust them against each other. So if you're getting 5 fives "every" flight at Wing 8, but Wings 4 and 5 are only getting 2 or 3, they'll take some points away from the Wing 8 guys. At least that's how it works for the TW-4 and 5 guys. But maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Who knows, I hear and have heard what you're saying, I don't know how much it affects the end result.

I lucked out in the fact that I went through when it was T-37/T-6....the T-6 had just started and had twice the crap and none of the gouge. IP's as well as students were still figuring it out. Whereas the tried and tested T-37 had all the gouge in the world and the IP's could teach you anything very precisely. So I competed against guys with no gouge who actually had to READ AF pubs to study.....can you believe that!?

I think where Vance helps you is if you're good, their grading makes you REAL good, whereas if you're bad, it exacerbates your problem, because quality peers will get the halo effect, and you'll be getting MIF'd the rest of your life.

Just a thought, who knows, it worked for me.

S3b_viking

I think where Vance helps you is if you're good, their grading makes you REAL good, whereas if you're bad, it exacerbates your problem, because quality peers will get the halo effect, and you'll be getting MIF'd the rest of your life.

Yep, pretty much still the same way. Some of us have halo's and are rock stars or you're barely MIFing by. It's very much a screwed up system.

Not to thread jack, but how much of the 11-217 (Air Force Instrument Manual) am I going to have to dump when I leave here?

Heloanjin

pilot
For those commenting on NSS, I recommend reading the thread on NSS facts because there have been a number of mistatements here.

No points are added to anybody's NSS.

Average NSS at Vance and TW-4 and TW-5 is a 50. If the average student at Vance gets ten 5's on each flight and the average student at TW-5 gets one 5 on each flight, you both have a 50 NSS.

As far as IFS goes...having instructed students before IFS existed and after it was instituted, I can tell you the only difference most IPs could see was in the first 4 flights. After that, everyone did pretty much the same. Comparing attrition and NSS of non-IFS and IFS students who went through at the same time seemed to support that opinion.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
For those commenting on NSS, I recommend reading the thread on NSS facts because there have been a number of mistatements here.

Average NSS at Vance and TW-4 and TW-5 is a 50. If the average student at Vance gets ten 5's on each flight and the average student at TW-5 gets one 5 on each flight, you both have a 50 NSS.

I think we went through this on the thread you mentioned. I didn't mean to say points get added to an individual's NSS, but that the score gets "adjusted" based off of the average, like you said. It's not someone adding individual points, but statistics in action. Apologize for the lack of clarity.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Not to thread jack, but how much of the 11-217 (Air Force Instrument Manual) am I going to have to dump when I leave here?
You can learn the differences between the 11-217 and Navy SOP in about 20 minutes, there's not as much as you think, a few simple numbers and the Navy way is more lax.......which is good.
Adjusted by the curve, yada yada, end product is the same wording is different.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Well if I had known about this Gleim test prep software I probably would have gotten it a couple weeks before I started IFS just so I wouldn't have had to cram so much in the 2weeks you get before the FAA test.

Man thats a lot more difficult than I had it, when I went through IFS last January. My FAA exam was an open book/neighbor/instructor test. Could be the school your going to was different than mine, but I have a feeling thats across the board now.

UORBulldog

Actually I'm pretty sure it's still one school with the open book, one school with the real thing. For anyone waiting to start IFS, just remember, it's IFS, it's at a civilian school, so you're going through the same stuff that nasty fat Joe Shmo off the street is going through. It's not that hard

Nomar116

pilot
Unless, you are one of the afformentioned retards, in which case, everybody will be surprised to meet you, and you can only pray you slip through the cracks.
:propeller

:smile_gre Back home we'd call that a "chalk-up."

The IFS program is definately more difficult than it used to be. The FAA exam by committee, have some fun in the air, mentality has definately left several of the schools.

With that said, I'm sure if you can't make it through this you have no business trying your hand at Primary. It seems to be spot-on for doing its job.

To study: Jeppesen also has an online FAA question bank you can go through at length. I mention this because you'll be reading Jeppesen material, but it shouldn't matter at all which site you use. Those are really good, and if you could borrow a book from a friend when you're down here to read ahead you would save yourself some time / headache during ground school.

Either way, don't sweat it too much. Just don't be that guy. :propeller

IFS helped me A LOT! Being able to have 100 + landing really helped me understand the simple concept of power for altitude, attitude for airspeed. You'd be surprised at the grades that you'll get in Primary if you can nail the landings early on.

panzerfinder15

My personal experience, still being in IFS and not yet in Primary:
Before IFS: API books make 50% sense
After IFS ground school: API books make 80% sense

seems like it helped me understand material.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Funny, I first read the title of this thread as "IFS is greater than Primary" and thought . . . huh?:icon_tong