• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS Costs $751.25 to member

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Small price to pay for the privellege of the chance to earn your wings of gold!

Perhaps, but it's still unprofessional. If the stud and the IP have coordinated the night before, that's one thing (I've done that when the weather was going to be severe), but to make the stud come in and have the IP not even bother is just weak.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
The choice to drive your own vehicle is yours. To drive one that gets 16mpg is the same. I can say that because I drive 35 miles to work every day, and get the same gas mileage. I figure it costs me about 15 bucks to drive to/from work every day. 5 days a week.

Interesting point you bring up. I was doing some math... if gas around here goes past $3.50/gal, I will be able to buy a Civic hybrid to commute in, and I will break even over driving my Jeep (10-11mpg) every day. While it might not look good, that will save miles on the Jeep and allow better off-road mods.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Perhaps, but it's still unprofessional. If the stud and the IP have coordinated the night before, that's one thing (I've done that when the weather was going to be severe), but to make the stud come in and have the IP not even bother is just weak.

Happens quite a bit during the bad-weather season. Hasn't happened to me personally, but I've seen many such phone calls in the RR.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
The choice to drive your own vehicle is yours. To drive one that gets 16mpg is the same. I can say that because I drive 35 miles to work every day, and get the same gas mileage. I figure it costs me about 15 bucks to drive to/from work every day. 5 days a week.

Not true. I have already missed out on the duty van because someone else snagged the two before I got there. They are not supposed to be let out before 6am, but it doesn't go down that way. Now, my roommate and I are getting up at 0430 to grab a van @5 and leave @6.

WRT how far you are from work. I am less than 3 miles out the gate, where I was considering being for "work." I didn't take the option of being 61 miles from "work."

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Not true. I have already missed out on the duty van because someone else snagged the two before I got there. They are not supposed to be let out before 6am, but it doesn't go down that way. Now, my roommate and I are getting up at 0430 to grab a van @5 and leave @6.

WRT how far you are from work. I am less than 3 miles out the gate, where I was considering being for "work." I didn't take the option of being 61 miles from "work."

submit the forms to get paid back or deduct it from your taxes, either way good heads up to everyone as to the current situation there now ...but complaining gets old fast.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Interesting point you bring up. I was doing some math... if gas around here goes past $3.50/gal, I will be able to buy a Civic hybrid to commute in, and I will break even over driving my Jeep (10-11mpg) every day. While it might not look good, that will save miles on the Jeep and allow better off-road mods.

Same deal with my motorcycle. I actually "make" money by driving it to and from work everyday instead of my Jeep, even though I'm still paying for the bike. Plus, I get the sweet front door parking spots and can lane split my way to work past all those suckers sitting on the Coronado Bridge. :D

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
submit the forms to get paid back or deduct it from your taxes, either way good heads up to everyone as to the current situation there now ...but complaining gets old fast.

I might not understand the tax code well enough, especially as it pertains to deductions, but if you are calling this sort of thing "travel" for tax purposes wouldn't you only get a percentage of the expense back?

Example:

If your effective taxable rate is 19% and you are spending $751.25 per month on travel wouldn't you only get 19% of that $751.25 back? Because you are removing the $751.25 from your taxable income.

Whereas if you were reimbursed by the Navy you would pay 19% tax on that income but be reimbursed the full amount?

It sounds as though it would be far more desirable to get reimbursed. I can see the argument however if the Navy will not do what the AF is doing and reimburse for travel expenses, then deducting travel expenses would make sense. Am I missing something?

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
You also need to itemize and have a deduction greater than the standard deduction of a little more than 5K if I remember. If you deductions are less than that standard deduction, then you expenses don't matter.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
You also get screwed if you are in my boat and already have enough deductions and credits to get a full refund.

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot

I think he meant the $700 for IFS. And yeah, that is really weak on the part of the instructor and it certainly happened to me, more than once in Primary.

BourneID

pilot
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if the Navy has you travel somewhere that is within 35 miles of your PDS, they are not required to pay you milage, however anything greater they are, however they also have the option to say we aren't going to pay your milage everyday however we will pay for a room for you up there so we aren't required to pay the milage.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if the Navy has you travel somewhere that is within 35 miles of your PDS, they are not required to pay you milage, however anything greater they are, however they also have the option to say we aren't going to pay your milage everyday however we will pay for a room for you up there so we aren't required to pay the milage.

when I got sent from NASP to Eglin for IFS, they said the most they would do is offer the duty van as first come first serve or they would write you no-cost TAD orders so you could get a room at the BOQ @ Eglin.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
1) Welcome to the military. You'll either adapt and overcome, make memories out of this, or be a whiney ass "that guy." You decide.

2) I also think it is unjust. Either they offer enough rides for all (a la 7-ton, don't forget your flak and kevlar) or they let you submit a travel claim. Anything else is bullshit, but refer back to #1.

3) Claiming a deduction on your taxes and getting reimbursed are not even in the same ballpark.

4) $750 is shit when you think that the same amount of flight training costs at least double in most parts of the country. Give and take, gents.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Assuming you wouldn't otherwise purchase such a vehicle, explain to me how you think buying a newer, more fuel efficient vehicle will cause you to "break even."

Some sample math... You have a 10mpg Jeep and average 10,000 miles per year. That is 1000 gallons of gas. At 3.50/gal, that's $3500 per year in gas. Now, the Civic Hybrid averages 40/45. Let's use 45 just to prove a point. Say you drive the same 10000 miles/year. At 45mpg thats 222 gallons of gas. At $3.50/gal, that's $777 per year. $3500 - $777 = $2723. The $23,000 initial outlay divided by the gas savings per year = years to break even. In this case, that's roughly 8.5 years, or longer than the average American holds on to a car.

If your argument is "it's better for the environment," then how many resources were used in creating that car you would otherwise not buy and what are the costs associated with disposing of the older vehicle?

Sorry, but that whole "Thats it, I'm buying a more fuel efficient vehicle" argument annoys me because unless you were going to buy a new car anyways, you fail at basic math.