• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS Changes? (PPL wavier)

RoarkJr.

Strange. Seems like a way to burn money on people that have a license already. Unless NIFE has a specific syllabus. I know they already took solos away (RIP NFOs).

My guess is they’re trying to model the Cessna flying more to how it’s done in primary, e.g. there’s a Hollywood Checklist for the Cessna.

0621 Hertz

WTF is a "Hollywood Checklist"?
It's a small standardization manual that TW5 hands out to students that instructs them on how to run through the T6B NATOPS quadfold. It's officially called the "TW5 Checklist Study Guide."

It includes what items to check and the proper "call outs" that students verbalize. Some of it is shorthanded from the NATOPS checklist and it goes in a different order in some places.

It's actually nicknamed the "Hollywood Script" because it resembles a script that Hollywood actors get which includes verbalized "lines" that are memorized.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
For your reading "pleasure"

And then everyone's mind is blown when you show up to advanced and verbalize like 5 things between manning up the jet and taking off...

That's very.... Air Forceish.

And then the stud's head explodes when they hear something that wasn't on the script.

People still gawk at me when I tell them that you don't use a checklist to start a Hornet.

Python

pilot
Contributor
A script is the single worst way to train an aviator. Any situation off the script leads to a helmet fire for a student because they’ve been training to linear thinking. I don’t recall seeing a script as a stud in VT-28.

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
A script is the single worst way to train an aviator. Any situation off the script leads to a helmet fire for a student because they’ve been training to linear thinking. I don’t recall seeing a script as a stud in VT-28.
It's a tool, it's just another tool, and it's a starting point. I think an overly complicated script leads to the problems you're talking about.

That "Hollywood script" started out as a detailed description, starting with climbing into the airplane l, and getting it to the runway, more or less. At first it wasn't a bad way of getting everybody on the same page, before the first simulator event, when everybody's proven professional qualifications to date were basically some book knowledge and "did not crash* on my C172 solo."

But yeah, I agree with what you're saying.

* waiverable

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's very.... Air Forceish.

And then the stud's head explodes when they hear something that wasn't on the script.

People still gawk at me when I tell them that you don't use a checklist to start a Hornet.
It's a tool, it's just another tool, and it's a starting point. I think an overly complicated script leads to the problems you're talking about.

That "Hollywood script" started out as a detailed description, starting with climbing into the airplane l, and getting it to the runway, more or less. At first it wasn't a bad way of getting everybody on the same page, before the first simulator event, when everybody's proven professional qualifications to date were basically some book knowledge and "did not crash* on my C172 solo."

This isn't anything new. They had a script for the T-34, as well. Like Jim said, it was for CPTs so you at least knew what to say as you learned where things were. I can't remember if it was still a thing when I was an IP, but it was a thing when I was a stud.

They had similar tools for IUTs for doing INAV events. The problem was that some IPs wanted the IUTs to stick strictly to the script, which doesn't actually facilitate learning what you're trying to train for. The script was worthless at Florala, for example. Fortunately that mindset was mostly gone by the time I got back to the FITU as an IP.