• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFR Rating

nugget81

pilot
An instrument rating for $300? You aren't going to find a better deal anywhere and the knowledge is priceless....stick with option A.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Tell that to the guy I went through Primary with that aced his I4390. Yes, that's right. ACED it. And went helos anyway.

If we're talking about the same guy, he also went on to be diagnosed with diabetes and got medically retired.

tiger84

LT
pilot
I see what you're saying. From what onwings have told me, it's not nearly that "easy" to get that many 5's in the Whiting sims. Take that for what it's worth. I will say that if you're able to hold +/- 20' in general, let alone 0' in the sim, you're doing alright. When they send us for our annual sim hop, I usually spend the first 10 minutes recovering from unusual attitudes. I hate those things.

Yeah, some of those things just don't want to fly straight. I think whoever wrote the software accidentally added a minus sign to some stability equation and gave the damn things anhedral.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If we're talking about the same guy, he also went on to be diagnosed with diabetes and got medically retired.

Someone was telling me about that guy recently. Talk about some bad news.

Yeah, some of those things just don't want to fly straight. I think whoever wrote the software accidentally added a minus sign to some stability equation and gave the damn things anhedral.

One of the sim guys told me that the system is designed to take constant input so as to simulate the inherit randomness of moving through an airmass. As such, if it detects no input from the pilot (because you've trimmed it well and are on profile), it will put in it's own input to knock it off the current trim. Of course the result is that it becomes completely unstable and makes you work harder than you would in the plane (not to mention making the first flight back in the plane a relearning experience for the first 10-15 minutes).

The "answer" was to just jiggle the stick an inch or so back in forth while flying straight and level and the system will read that as input and not put in its two cents. I can't remember if that was for the old sims or the new ones, but I found it worked at times, but it wasn't full-proof.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I will tell you this, and I know that some others (FLYTPAY for one) will agree. If you do get a rating (FAA instrument endorsement), you will more than likely be accelerated through the BI/RI stages, meaning you will only do the first and last flights in the block. Accelerated = less graded items = higher NSS come selection time. If you can get it done cheaply, it will be worth it's weight in gold come primary time. Believe it.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Someone was telling me about that guy recently. Talk about some bad news.

One of the sim guys told me that the system is designed to take constant input so as to simulate the inherit randomness of moving through an airmass. As such, if it detects no input from the pilot (because you've trimmed it well and are on profile), it will put in it's own input to knock it off the current trim. Of course the result is that it becomes completely unstable and makes you work harder than you would in the plane (not to mention making the first flight back in the plane a relearning experience for the first 10-15 minutes).

The "answer" was to just jiggle the stick an inch or so back in forth while flying straight and level and the system will read that as input and not put in its two cents. I can't remember if that was for the old sims or the new ones, but I found it worked at times, but it wasn't full-proof.

That explains SOO fvcking much. I think it is only the old sims.

New sim, level enroute to IAF, I look down at approach plate while holding stick stable. Look up, straight and level, NO PROBLEM.

Old sim, level enroute to IAF, I look down at approach plate while holding stick stable. Look up, 60 degree AOB and nose falling through horizon... WTF??? I NEVER had that problem in the airplane. And I'm talking like 5 seconds here, TOPS. I HATE the sims....:icon_rage