• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

If you could go back in time...

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Agree with you on the first two points. The real estate one is debatable. It obviously depends on your situation in life. The mantra from my first command in SD was to buy a house (Pendleton to the north, Mexico to the south, mountains to the east, good wx...it'll never go down) There were dudes that got burned in the housing crash of the late aughts. The big thing is that you have no control over when you'll be PCS'ed. Being able to rent it out is no sure thing. Plus who wants to deal with being a landlord in their late 20's/early 30's.

I say rent a joint, and pump money into an S&P 500 index fund.
Are you telling us that you didn’t start your real estate fortune by buying property in Jacksonville…N.C.?

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Are you telling us that you didn’t start your real estate fortune by buying property in Jacksonville…N.C.?
Haha. I did a tour there as a stud, and then as an FRS IP...and avoided Jacksonville like the plague, moving further south by my FRS tour to Wilmington.😄

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I was mostly a SD dude, but apparently the New River crowd enjoys mowing their lawns and being a volunteer firefighter....our CO was a volunteer firefighter in BFE Onslow County, and there were times being in Ops that we were trying to track him down for a signature, when we were informed that Elvis had left the building to respond to a call...we were like WTF?😄

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Make better use of career downtime. My instructor tour in P’cola had a very laid back schedule with few demands and plenty of time for myself. Then-Mrs Fester and I had just come off four years of overlapping fast-turnaround cruise sea duty and IAs - and flight school/RAG before that - and i didn’t feel guilty about coasting for a bit and using the time to play with the new Fester 2.0 we’d made to celebrate. In hindsight I wish I’d taken some of that free time and invested it in getting my Masters or a certificate program (instructional design or the like) or even some pilot training.

Applies to other times, like being in A-Pool or waiting out a fleet redstripe, whatever. If you find yourself with idle time when the Gov’t is giving you full pay and benefits and not expecting much of you, use it. Not saying completely crush your free time, just make it work for you.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Get every patch your squadron sells. They tell your story unto themselves.

Take a photo every time you get to fly with a friend. Every time. (This photo is right after my favorite flight in a military airplane, and it was in an orange and white clown jet. I got to fly with one of my best friends. You couldn't buy this day from me for Jeff Bezos's entire fortune.)

1000014051.jpg
Take every cross country you can. Take photos of the crew at the airplane, then turn the camera off for everything but scenic views.

Live where all of your peers live. Hunter's Cove in Kingsville was the best sense of community I've ever had in the military.

Use an online log book and keep it current for your civilian equivalencies. It will make things so much easier later on, even if you never want to go to the airlines.

When a buddy asks you to get a beer, lunch, dinner, golf, say yes, unless you're going to break crew rest or absolutely have something you have to focus on. But then follow up.

Don't neglect your family.

ORM out when you need to. Your life isn't worth it, and neither is your flight lead's. Everyone gets a "I can't fly, I was up all night on the toilet. I'm not sure I can even make the drive into work without a mess" card. It's universally understood. But don't abuse it.

The people. You'll miss the people like whoa.