• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I want a no-BS assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAmookie

Jonez... No being from cali will only hurt you. On one hand its good because your senator or congressman doesnt have to worry about who he wants to appoint, but a majority of academy students are from the eastern half of the united states.

Patmack... The academy does not make you a better officer, i agree... sometimes it may even make a worse officer because theyve got narrow perspective, and a stick in the ass. But, academy opens doors like nobody's business. These people are in a club and like to hook each other up. Regular college grads just dont have the same networking benifits

thumper

I was thinking about this...should the OCSers and the ROTC people form an organization to keep the the Boat schoolers down? We do out number them, after all.

VAmookie

IRONFELIKS... USNA has mostly MIDN 1/C (first class or seniors) running the show as far as day to day regimental things are concerned. As far as kicking ass and taking names, they've got enlisted marines to do that. The Gunny seems to be a popular choice

Jonez

USNA 09 Hopeful
Haha, I didn't know they had Marine NCOs there. That rocks. Marines certainly do kick asses and take names like nobody's business.

Also, I got my packet yesterday and have been filling out all the forms. I'm working on my personal statement right now. Apparently my packet got sent out on June 3, but I didn't get it till the 14th. Damn USPS :icon_rage .

usnafury

Yea, Marines are awesome. I do PT with them 3 times a week getting ready for the PFT. There's nothing better for motivation than a former Parris Island DI literally snarling 1/2 inch away from your face as you hang on the bar. :) Besides, Marines have the best cadences. :icon_wink Yea, I've been filling out my packet as well, Jonez. I've got just about everything done, and I brought all the forms to the school today. They say the earlier you get it in the better.

Jonez

USNA 09 Hopeful
Hey Mac, Semper Fi!

Hopefully I'll see you out at the Yard next year. And then out in the Corps some day.

Yeah, Marine cadences are the best.

"HO CHI MIHN IS A SON OF A *****!
HO CHI MIHN IS A SON OF A *****!
GOT THE BLUE BALLS, CRABS, AND THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH!
GOT THE BLUE BALLS, CRABS, AND THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH!"

^^It editted out "*****"... :confused:

zulu240

SNA nov 13 OCS
jonez, any experience with the Navy? mother or father with prior service? ever been on a military installation ?

usnafury

My favorite cadence is about that poor little yellow birdie perching on the windshield. You know, that one that you lured in with the piece of bread? :D I heard an interesting version of it at the Naval Academy. Besides the little bird, we also tore the legs off a little puppy, ripped the fur out of a tiny kitten, and flushed a baby mouse down the toilet. Quite fun, I must say. (no, I'm not sadistic.) :icon_smil

Jonez

USNA 09 Hopeful
zulu240 said:
jonez, any experience with the Navy? mother or father with prior service? ever been on a military installation ?

Mother and father did not serve. Both grandfathers were in the Navy. I've been to a few military installations. I visited USNA last April. I also went to the Naval Postgraduate School to meet with my dad's friend who is a USNA graduate, and I went to the Defense Language Institute on a school field trip.

Screw Monterey, going out to the Yard was the best :) .

Ironfeliks23

USC- Sr.
Bah, they got a gleam in their eyes and are looken forward to their 4 years. The app process hurry up and wait is dull to say the least. If it keeps'em motivated, lettem babble away.

natashadoe

here's some advice from someone who has been through the looooong process...

your sat score is fine, you can take it again if you want, but it's above average for academy standards. try to do something really out of the ordinary. start a club or something, get some leadership roles. it's really hard to predict who will get in, for example i know someone who got a 980 on the sat, never took ap or honors classes and got in the first try. things balance out. for instance since you didn't play a sport for a while, your grades might make up for that, etc. dont worry about the nomination unless you're from a really competitive area. practice what you're going to say in the interview though, make sure you are confident. get your app in quickly and this is the most important advice--START YOUR MEDICAL CRAP ASAP. it took me months to get it all finished and there was nothing wrong with me, i'm in perfect health, perfect vision, etc. but it just takes a long time, so if you know you'll need a waiver, start doing that stuff NOW. umm, i guess that's all for now. if you have any questions feel free to email me, i've been to summer seminar, soccer camp, and candidate visit weekend at usna and i know a bunch of people there.

natashadoe@yahoo.com

Jonez

USNA 09 Hopeful
Thanks, I appreciate that. I did start that AP club that I later became president of, should I note that in the remarks on the activities page? I bubbled in "club president," but it said nothing about starting it.

I've also just about finished all the paperwork. I brought some stuff down to school today for my teachers and my counselor to fill out. I'm working on revising my personal statement too. Maybe I should post that on here and you guys can tell me what you think?

Prompt: (1) Describe what led to your initial interest in the naval service and how the Naval Academy will help you achieve your long range goals, and (2) Describe a personal experience you have had which you feel has contributed to your own character development and integrity. (300-500 words)

Personal Statement

My initial interest in the naval service began as I watched the great heroics of sailors and Marines in recent operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. At the start of the new century, after the period of relative peace following the Cold War, the Navy and Marine Corps were called upon once again to protect civilization. The young men and women of the naval service answered the call brilliantly, and executed their mission exceptionally well, in a way that was deeply inspirational to me. Seeing Marines roll through the desert and Navy fighters drop their payloads over Baghdad filled me with considerable pride as an American, and made me want to become a part of the world’s finest naval force in order to serve my country. Soon after this, it became my goal in life to become an officer in the Marine Corps as my career, specializing in infantry or aviation. Attending the Naval Academy will help me achieve this long range goal in many ways. The education offered at the Academy, academically, physically, and morally, is second to none. I believe I would thrive in the structured military environment at the Naval Academy, and there would be no better way for me to begin my career as a naval officer than as a midshipman at the Naval Academy. I want to become the best officer I can, and I believe I can learn the professional and leadership skills necessary at the Naval Academy.

It is of paramount importance that naval officers possess strong character. A personal experience that has contributed to my own character development and integrity was my decision to begin to train physically on a daily basis in preparation for a career of military service. I have always been active and in good shape, but once I decided that I wanted an education at the Naval Academy and a career in the naval service, it became my goal to achieve an even higher level of fitness. I began working very hard physically to achieve my goals. As a result of this regimented daily exercise consisting of running, calisthenics, and weight training, I have not only vastly improved my physical strength and endurance, but I have also gained important character traits such as discipline, self-confidence, and integrity. I learned discipline by forcing myself to do something tiring and painful on a daily basis because I knew it was good for me. I learned self-confidence in that I found I could set seemingly unrealistic goals and achieve them through hard work and dedication. I learned integrity through self-discipline—since no one ever told me what to do or watched me while I worked out, it was my responsibility to be true to myself and strive to reach my goals. I believe that through my daily physical training I have significantly developed my character and integrity. It is important for officers to have excellent character, and I believe that is something I have built up greatly throughout my life, and hope to continue to build at the United States Naval Academy.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.