• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I want a no-BS assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
zab shoots and scores.....

the essay is you, not what someone wants you to put down on the paper.

yeah the app is fun and all... but wait for all that paperwork you have to fill out after that Appointment arrives.

ok ill give one tidbit of advice for the essay because i just got back from a grad night party this morning at 7.. tired... and im bored.

dont write what the academy can do for you.. they know that already.. but what you can present and bring to the academy.

manny7_99

lol

Integer1 said:
:) God I love you Manny :)

That is very Pre-dicate of you ;) I know that sounds Pre-posterous that I would not be upset, but I cannot Pre-tend I don't enjoy sharing the board with you guys. Let's not focus on my Pre-vious posts but on the Pre-sent.

Feeling is mutual. Now, let's not get too touchy-feely, ok mr. :D

Jonez

USNA 09 Hopeful
H20man said:
dont write what the academy can do for you.. they know that already.. but what you can present and bring to the academy.

All right, the reason I was saying stuff like that was in response to the question "how will attending the Naval Academy help you achieve your long range goals?" It kind of seems like they want you to say what the Academy will do for you.

Dear God, Manny and Integer no longer hate each other. Does that mean the Cardinals are gonna win the Super Bowl and Satan is buying God a brewski in heaven?

Jonez

USNA 09 Hopeful
Well, that Commander I know got back to me, he likes the updated version of my personal statement (which I haven't posted).

He went to USNA, lives there now, gave me a personal tour of the place when I went there, and he may sit on the admissions board next year (!!!!!), so I definately trust his advice.

Jonez

USNA 09 Hopeful
Nope, didn't get into NASS. My stats weren't as good back then, I've since improved my SAT by 110 points and added more activities. Hell, rejection to SS was really what got me motivated to do everything I could to get in. I just need to finish up a few more things and then it's in God's hands.

I know the Commander because he is a friend of my dad's cousin.

SgtofMarines

Been there...done that!

In reply to your wanting an assessment of the Academy...here it is, first hand.

First off, let me start by saying I was prior enlisted, Marine, when I went. It wasn't hard at all and in fact, I never applied. I called and the Academy did all the paperwork for me. When I got there, it was horrible. What you learn at the Academy is NOTHING like what the fleet is really like, although your upper-classmen will try to teach you it is. There is graffitti all over the place from classes trying to leave their legacy behind. The 2nd Lt's and Ensign's are extremely undisciplined...starting food fights and spitting on eachother during formal parades.

At one point, the Academy was a great place to go...it is no longer. The reason it is so highly regarded is purely political and traditional. Everything used to be taught by experienced officers, whereas now everything is taught by your upper-classmen...it's regarded as good leadership training for them. That's a fine concept, but when they have no experience themselves, how can they expect to train others? The only time you learn anything from experienced officers is during academic hours...speaking of which, the academics are NOT challenging in the slightest. A large portion of my class, '03', were in the bottom half of their graduating class, waivers because they played squash or other such sports (yes, football too) well. Although as Plebes we're not allowed to have alcohol or tobacco products, the Ensigns often would sneak some out for us when we were sailing.

My sister was paralyzed in a car accident and shortly into my second year, I had to leave to care for her and her son. I went back into the Marine Corps and am still seeking a commission, through MECEP. Had I gone there out of high school, I would not think of the Academy as poorly as I do, as I would not have known better. But after being enlisted and going to the Academy and being asked to spit on 200+ years of history and tradition, no...I wasn't down with it.

I hope this helps. If you are still set on going...good for you.

Integer1

Banned
Well, a large portion of a class should be in the bottom half of the class. About 50% sounds right!

Your experience is very accurate from what I have heard. You make great points that the college is not as holy as people think it is. I've said this before in another thread: history books about the USNA show that it has been a crazy place, quite unlike what people come to imagine about it, and what you said in your post is exactly the same information that is in history books that I've read.

I will agree with you that if your goal is only academic and non-military and non-athletic, and you don't want to be yelled at by kids whose leadership experience ranges from some student government position in high school where they did nothing, the rest learned from upperclassman in the situation that you described, that's fine. But, for a lot of people who choose the USNA, it is the best choice for them. But it is not designed to be the best school to attend in the world for everybody; additionally, it is geared towards civilians. It is not surprising that you felt like you were treated like a baby at the USNA, while, to the civilian students, this treatment was very punishing. You also did not finish the college--it is said that those who do graduate do end up liking it, and have more freedoms as they progress year by year to that date. And, a large part of the anger could come from the negative events, like your sister's events (sorry), that you have come to associate with the college. Also, being asked "how was USNA" by everybody while taking care of your sister while being sad about the situation could also been associated with the college.

The good news is that in the past four years, the number of applicants has increased from 10,000 to 15,000, allowing for students with higher academical achievements to be chosen, and this means that athletes could be selected with even lower gpas since the college average would not be affected much, but anyway... Supposedly there is less crazyness now, more sleep, more singing, less harassment. As for real military officers--I wouldn't know where they are. If midshipmen learn from older midshipmen, and half of the faculty is civilian (which twice the rate of civilian faculty than any other service academy), then real military officers must be scarce from what you say.

Additionally, I would not be surprised if the academics are not so challenging for someone who is as mature and motivated as you coming into college. Additionally, the Navy HIRES the people who graduate from the USNA, so of course if you take Nuclear Engineering, for example, the college will help you all they can to make sure you know what you're doing. :) Other colleges might be concerned with making sure only the top 10% get an A, while this college wants and needs everybody to succeed.

There are a lot of immature people who will and have been accepted to the USNA, and when you consider that they are now under crazy pressure, a lot will do crazy things.

I agree that the USNA might not be holy, but if it's easy, then I will do my best and have a good chance at the #1 spot, what's wrong with that!

Sorry to hear about your situation but hang in there and GL!

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
SGT,
You only made trough a little more than a year at USNA, and your opinions are slightly off. In my four years there no one said things at the academy were done in the same manner as the fleet. Often the opposite was pointed out. I had prior enlisted roommate who was kicked out because he was constantly bitter that things were done differently at USNA.

The academy has never had officers training midn. in anything more than academics and seamanship. If you look back at historical accounts of the Brigade, you will see that if anything the role officers play has actually increased. Bancroft Hall is called a leadership lab for a reason. If you had stayed and become a 2/c and 1/c midn. then you better understand the leadership experienced gained.

So you had an easy time with plebe academics. It is by far the easiest year academically. Most of the classes rehash material most people get in high school. The real pain of academics starts second semester youngster and continues through first semester firstie year as you are taking the more in depth major classes combined with the rest of the core curriculum. 2003's class profile was similar to other classes with less than 5% in the bottom half of their HS class (from the 2007 profile)

As bad as '99 was, I doubt anyone gave you alcohol while doing p-100s. Dip yes, alcohol no.

Integer,
Please stop telling people what you have heard about the academy second hand as fact. You are not on the admissions board. You have not been part of the brigade. Military officers are not scarce. You have yet to have any real experience with any of this, yet still feel the need to proclaim your ill formed opinions.

Everyone else:
Go to the academy if you are looking for a challenge. Go if you are looking for unparalleled opportunities. Do not let someboady else tell you why you should not go.

ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.