• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I need help from sen. members and Esp. Recruiters

Status
Not open for further replies.

vballindaytona

Hey guys,

Long time no see for awhile. got a question. I have talked before about how my recruiter makes us (people waiting for OCS) do PT w/ him one day a week. It just so happens that I work at a nightclub and get off of a 12 hr shift about four hours before i have to be there for PT, then I have 6 hrs after the PT to be back at the club for another 12 hr shift. Needless to say, I haven't exactly had perfect attendance to PT that one day per week because it is in the middle of my night. I talked to my recruiter and explained that until Jan 25th (ocs date) the navy isn't helping pay my bills at all, and this job is all I have for now, and he still came down on me pretty hard and told me that if i didn't come to pt from now on he is going to withdraw me from the program. Although I totally don't agree w/ this I was wondering if he had the authority to do it? I have already swore in months ago and got my ocs date w/ pilot slot, im just waiting for the ocs date to come around. It seems that he just doesn't understand I work 6 days/wk, and probably 50 hrs / week. I just don't get it and find it unreasonable. Please help guys.

vballindaytona

Gator

You are under no obligation to perform any kind of activity for the Navy, whether it is PT, drill, or anything else, untill you report to OCS. They can't even require you to maintain grooming standards while awaiting to leave for OCS. Even those of us who are under BDCP are not reuired to do any such activities. The most that we have to do is perform an annual PRT. Addditionally, your recruiter has no authority to disenroll you from your enlistment. He isn't even eligible to swear you in unless he is an officer. If you want any supporting documentation just read your entire enlistment contract. You can also read the appropriate directives and orders pertaining to enlistment status and what you are required to do, on line. If you need help finding any of this just let me know. I can find it for you.
Hope this helps
Scott

RC

patmack - that actually sounds like good advice from your recruiter.

Edited by - RC on 08/13/2002 18:25:44

BB

Daytona,
Who is your recruiter? Where are you at?

I am in Daytona and haven't had to deal with any of that BS from my recruiter.

ghost_ttu

Vball, is your recruiter an officer? Regardless I think it would be great to find that information in writing negating his statements and then go directly to him. And if he gives you crap go directly above him and bring it to their attention. That just sounds like someone on a power trip.

vballindaytona

he is an officer, LTJG. I found nothing in the enlistment contract that says anything about not having to conform to physical standards. I thought you just show up to OCS in shape and you are responsible to get yourself physically fit. Isnt responsibliity on of the militarys core values? ...... i need documentation guys. thanks for the inputs though? any recruiters out there shed some light on this please? yall are the best

Jonathan

JT1208

It should be in your orders if you received them. I'm BDCP so I don't know if you get them if your non-program. It says I just need to pass the PFT and contact my recruiter once a month. Check your orders, that's all you have to do, and without written orders he is not in your chain of command. Technically without those orders you're not obligated to do anything since they tell you officially your on duty status, and obligations.

JT

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No offense to my counterparts, but being at the bottom of the totem-pole... what say does a jg have anyway? Sure he may seem so important now, but his job is to merely get you in the door. I'm not talking about other responsibilities (divo) or leadership roles that occur in the fleet. I heard that the San Diego guys have PT also... I never even met my recruiter. So much for that.

Gator

Jonathan,
My computer has been acting funny lately, so I have not been able to get online lately. However, I will try and find documentation for you in regards to this matter. Until then, if your recuiter still insists that you participate in PT, then ask him to show you documentation attesting to this. It will surely piss him off that you have the audacity to question his authority, but what else are you to do. He'll get over it in time.
When I went into the Marines after high school I was on the delayed entry program and was supposedly required to participate in a once a month activity on Saturday morning. In the yeat that I was on DEP, I attended two of these. One to take my PFT when I went in, the other to take my PFT before I left for boot camp. My recruiter was always hounding me about it, but I had other obligations (baseball and hangovers).
So basically what I'm saying is tell your recruiter to pound sand! Just me two cents though.
Good luck!

marti

Gator,
This is a little off the subject, but why Navy? I read your bio and think it's funny that you are a prior marine going Navy, and I'm a prior squid thinking hard about the Marines. -Marti

Gator

Marti,
The two things that sold me on the flying for the Navy were BDCP and not having to go to TBS. Without having to go through TBS I will get into the flight training pipeline quicker. Plus, I've already spent enough time running around in the woods.
It was a very hard decision to be made and at times I feel as if I'm a traitor, but I don't regret it.

thartley

That is so much bullshit he is bowing up your ass. I am a Marine 1stLT, the same rank as your recruiter. I hardly ever saw my recruiter before I left for OCS and never had to PT with him. He really has no authority to pull application especially since you already have a slot and are just awaiting a date. You would have to be the one to do that.

vballindaytona

hey thanks guys,

I know that it is bullshit. especially since its on a Wed morning, a weekday. maybe if it were on a day like sunday where everybody is off i would understand, but from 0730 to 0830-45ish on wed, people fricking work. still need documentation to walk in with ;)

Jonathan

ghost_ttu

vball, it would seem to me that you could ask to speak to his superior on the matter. At that point he would most likely back down, or just made to look stupid infront of his superior. But that is coming from zero knowledge.

Gator

Vball,
Leave it up to him to produce documentation supporting his claim that you are required to PT with him. If he continues to hound you, do nt hesitate to go over his head. I'm sure his boss wouldn't be happy to hear that he is threatening you with revoking your enlistment contract. Something that he does not have the authority to do. There might be other enlistees in the same position as you, but do not want to say anything. Take the lead and solve the problem for all those involved. No offense to all the newly appointed officers on here, but there is nothing worse than new officer on a power trip.
Once again good luck.
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.