• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I have a serious issue, will I get in OCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gman0319

OK, this is my first posting. I have always been highly interested in getting into the Navy as an Officer, however I have heard something that may stop me from getting accepted in OCS. I have a misdemeanor criminal charge that I received about 7 months ago. I am a full time college student and have 6 plus years of hard core computer skills. I have a 3.5GPA, scored a 64 on the ASTB, and have excellent recommendations. I am majoring in Information Systems (Business Major). The reason for my charge is related to someone STEALING my identity, but I did not have the resources (money) to fight the charges. I plead guilty to avoid jail time. I have NEVER done anything wrong besides this conviction that's on my record. I run circles on people on the computer and the recruiter saw my resume and immediately thought I would be excellcent as an officer. At the age of 21 I have already managed a Computer Department. DO I HAVE A CHANCE? Please be honest. And let me know if there is anything that I can to do better my chances.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Sure,

When you list the charge on the application, explain the whole story and all of the circumstances involved. If your application is strong, you may be asked about the situation further. Just explain what happened and be honest. DO NOT LIE. If you get busted not telling the truth, then its over. Just send in your application and roll the dice.

Dave

jaerose

Yeah, just explain and apply. I know someone who screwed up right after they turned 18, but that's the only thing they've ever done wrong...so they still got in.

JR

aoconnor

I think they will have you write an essay explaining the entire thing. As far as your programming abilities, I think I remember a spot on the application that mentioned whether you know any computer languages. I could be wrong cause its been a while. Either way I put down VB, PHP, Javascript, WebDNA, and HTML.

perchul

Well since its a misdeanor you'll probably get a waiver because of your good stats, but I'd be careful when you write that you plead guilty to a crime your innocent of because it relates to integrity. I had a girlfriend who had her identity stolen and it was a very tedious problem and it takes alot of time to fix; but in y opinion you should of went to trial even if you couldn't afford it...amongst all this optimism I feel compelled to play devils advocate

Tolerance only benefits the weak

cyphertube

Regarding the pleading guilty, the big question I'd have, as far as the integrity issue goes, is did you decide it yourself, or were you advised?

I don't know how they'll view it, but in my experience from all manner of applications judging integrity, making a bad decision on bad advice is far better that making an uninformed bad decision.

gman0319

Originally posted by cyphertube
Regarding the pleading guilty, the big question I'd have, as far as the integrity issue goes, is did you decide it yourself, or were you advised?

I don't know how they'll view it, but in my experience from all manner of applications judging integrity, making a bad decision on bad advice is far better that making an uninformed bad decision.

cyphertube, Just to answer your question, I was advised by my lawyer to plead guilty. He explained how difficult it is to prove it wasn't me. I mean it can be done but I don't have the funds to hire a private investigator, 3 attorney's or so, and a host of other personnel to really get to the bottom of it. I was however able to protect myself from this happening in the future, and my Lawyer was able to get the courts to agree to take it off my record after two years, so there is positive side to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.