• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hunting with the M1A

Bevo16

pilot
does not suck..

I skipped white-tail this season because my son and I have started neat little tradition of going on (Texas) Safari each spring break. Last year I was able to take a decent sized axis buck near Brady, TX on a friend's wheat farm. This year we were warned off that hunt since the axis have been scattered due to lack of rainfall. The folks with the land don't know where they all went, they just ain't there.

Luckily, the boy and I were able to score an invite to do a cull hunt on a friend's exotic ranch near Cuero, TX. This poor fella just had to many animals down there and he needed some taken off. No problemo. Have gun, will travel. Just to refresh, this gun is the Springfield Armory "Loaded" M1A. The medium weight NM barrel and NM trigger are money well spent when getting into the M-14 platform. The accuracy out of this rifle is just amazing.

I have been having a lot more success working up my hand loads, but the kind of shooting that we were going to do required precision and all the stopping power I could get. After a lot of trials, I settled on Hornady's 168gr A-Max. It provides match grade accuracy and all of the necessary stopping power. I read some internet know-it-all folks who said the A-Max was not a good hunting round, I am here to report that is total bullshit. Everything I hit went down, period. On to the pictures:

I had a good zero before I came out, but I always like to get quick function and accuracy check before taking aim at something alive. This was my first 2 rounds at 100 yards with a light R to L crosswind. Good to go.
199548_10150096389855653_698645652_6703526_4639711_n.jpg

Below is the first kill of the day. There was a mess of hogs running about 200 yards away, and I just took aim at the center of the pack and pulled the trigger. This guy went down and I thought was dead on the spot. When we got around the fence to pick her up, it was gone. A quick circle around some trees, and I saw her in the brush. I go in to finish her off, and the mean bastard turns on me and makes a run. I came boiling out of that brush with by pride following about 10 steps behind. I then turned and dispatched her from a safe distance. Pigs 0, Bevo 1.

199440_10150096523745653_698645652_6704419_565226_n.jpg

This next piggie didn't go to market either. Dad shot him through the lungs with his 270, and he just kept on running. It did peel off from the rest of the pack and go for cover though. We flushed it out, and it was making it's way across this field. She was running away from me and somewhat right to left. I got my first shot off when she was about 125 yards away and got her in the foot, she didn't even slow down. The next shot got her in the head and she dropped. From where my brass hit to where the pig lay was 175 yards. I'm having fun.
189639_10150096531880653_698645652_6704452_3023752_n.jpg

This little varmint was about 150 yards away when I got her. I had to hold her to make the picture safe for women and children. That A-Max bullet is just devastating.
198368_10150096598795653_698645652_6705204_4138588_n.jpg

I also shot a skunk, but no pictures are currently available. You are gonna have to take my word for it.

This girl was both the best success and greatest failure for the trip. An opportunity to hunt red deer is really cool, and I was hopeful to get a nice rug out of the deal. The exit wound for the bullet was only about 2 inches across but it hit with such force that it made a bald spot about 6 inches in diameter. She was also so damn heavy that we had to use a front end loader to get her back to the barn, and that took a lot more fur off. She was about 275-300 pounds though, so it's a big damn animal. It was also slightly more sporting than shooting a cow. The other 2 did run when the shooting started, so I'll give them that.

197340_10150096598335653_698645652_6705196_4567218_n.jpg

For SPORTING, these little bastards will give you all you want and more. Blackbuck antelope are fucking FAST, and if you get a chance to shoot with one standing still you better take it regardless of the range. By far my best shot of the trip dropped this girl from a little over 300 yards (shooting from a bench mounted on a Gator), with about 20mph of crosswind. The rifle, shooter, and luck all did their part in this one.

199451_10150097049480653_698645652_6709102_4285989_n.jpg

I wanted to take this fella and have an Air Warriors Barbecue, but the ranch owner said "no". Sorry fellas.

189401_10150097102705653_698645652_6709572_2303664_n.jpg

Relaxing Texas style:

184219_10150097230755653_698645652_6711033_6614744_n.jpg

The last kill of the trip was a bit of a mistake. I was only supposed to shoot female animals, but the owner forgot to mention that juvenile male antelope are the same color (brown) as the full grown females. The full grown males are black. Well, this youngster paid the price for impersonating a female. Dad and I caught them in the open and they took off on a dead sprint. I hit him at about 75 yards, but he was running at least 20mph if not more.

189517_10150097353585653_698645652_6712015_1685506_n.jpg

At the end of the weekend, I have 3 ice chests full of meat and 2 nice antelope hides off to the tannery. I really wish that we could have saved that red deer pelt, but it was a lost cause.

The best part of the hunting experience was the validation of the weapon I had chosen. I wanted to put together a setup that would be good for the apocalypse or for hunting. I feel pretty well validated for the latter, and confident for the former. The Sightron mil-dot scope was perfect for range adjustment and helped dope the wind (not that I am any kind of expert on that). I also found the dots useful to SWAG the lead needed to hit a moving target. Again, I am not a sniper and don't claim to be an expert, but it worked really damn well and I am encouraged to learn more about wind adjustments and such so that I don't have to use a SWAG next time out.

If anyone has some pigs in need of killing anywhere near Memphis...have gun, will travel.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
That is a fucking awesome write up. Thanks for the time that took, but it looks like you and the young'un had enough fun to counteract the trials of typing.

I've heard people say that the sheer brutalness of the M1A action nearly halves the life of brass. Any issues so far in that respect?

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
Sounds like a hell of a hunt, Bevo. Nice write up.

I shot my first axis two weeks ago near Camp Wood, TX. That is one tough animal. .308 to the shoulder that would have put a whitetail on it's nose. This guy still made it 80 yards with a busted shouder and a heart that had exploded. I think I'm going to have to upgrade to 168-gr. bullets. The 150's aren't getting it done on anything bigger than a whitetail.

The guy that owns the ranch had just gone into a speech the night before about how 98% of axis bucks are 6-points. I looked through the scope and saw 8 points and knew he needed to die. He's a great trophy. Still in velvet.

I also shot Babe in the face. Little piglet vs. .308 is not really fair, but I justify it by knowing that that piglet will grow into a bigger pig and create hundreds of other pigs. That piglet exploded. The picture is NSFW.

Unfortunately, the black bucks on this guy's property had been pushed off since he is clearing land with a dozer. I shot a black buck doe once in college, but have yet to get a male. I want one for the wall.

I applaud you for your use of the mil-dot scope. I have no interest (read: lack of brain power) in trying to learn how to use one so I stick with MOA. Sounds like you had some great shots. Remember, Bevo, you can be a great shot without the 'sniper' tag. That 'sniper' thing is for a select few that are either currently or have at one point served as such in the military or for internet douchebags that get dressed up in funny clothes to shoot at gong targets. But, there are a hell of a lot of people that are great marksmen. Sounds like you are well on your way to being the latter.

Two questions: (1) Why would you want to barbeque the kid? I hear they don't taste real good. It's a like a mix of hot dogs and chicken nuggets. (2) What's with the pistol in the picture of the antelope? Did you go gangsta on it?

I know what you mean about the lack of rainfall, Bevo. This whole state is as dry as British humor.

Bevo16

pilot
Boomhower,

I got the antelope on the 2nd day of the trip. The little episode with the pig on the first day served as reminder to not leave the 9mm in the truck. When we drove up to the antelope, she tried to hop off and needed to be finished. 9mm is a lot cheaper than match .308, so I brained her from about 45 feet. It wasn't "gangsta", but it impressed the guys that I was hunting with. If you ever need help thinning axis out, I am your man. FWIW, I had the same experience last year with 150gr ammo. The 10% increase in bullet weight goes a long way.

gaijin,

All of the folks that I have talked to about reloading for the M-14 platform have said the same thing about brass. The advise I got was "use it 3 times and toss it", for safety reasons. Since I am new to reloading (and not interested in re-learning lessons most probably written in blood), I am taking that advice and it's going well. I simply don't know enough about inspections and case thickness to know when it's used up. I know how to prep and load, and that's where I am at.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Not at all surprising about the brass.

Service rifle action, originally designed for .30-06 ...

The Hk 91 / PTR / CETME has even worse problems. I know people who love hunting with 91s because of their accuracy, but the action destroys the case, so you cant reload it at all.

Bevo16

pilot
With ammo as expensive as it is, I can use brand new Lapua brass, Gold Medal Match primers, powder, and 168gr Match Kings or Hornady A-Max and still shoot cheaper than new factory loads by 25 cents per round.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
3 times jives with what a friend of mine uses as his personal rule for reloading M1A brass, as well.

Looks like it might be clandestine acquisitions instead of reloading M1A leavings after the food riots start.

My M1A shoots NATO stuff fine, but I keep a couple hundred 165gr TAP rounds around if I need something more robust. The gun absolutely LOVES that stuff. Granted, it's no tailored hand load, but it shoots quite well.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Hey Bevo, you mentioned that in Brady the axis deer are no longer at the populations that they were last year. Did they happen to mention if they are coming across dead axis deer that seem to have died for no reason? The reason I ask is because ranchers and hunters out in West Texas have been reporting finding a significant number of dead pronghorn whose deaths can't be explained. If they are finding dead deer I'm curious if the deaths could be from the same cause. Right now Texas A&M is working on a cause of the deaths, but I haven't heard if they've come up with anything. TPWD has been asking hunters and ranchers to notify them if they come across any pronghorn carcasses.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Heck of a good hunt and write-up Bevo. Really enjoyed my Axis and pig hunt last year but spring has snuck up on us and not going to make it this year.

Bevo16

pilot
Hey Bevo, you mentioned that in Brady the axis deer are no longer at the populations that they were last year. Did they happen to mention if they are coming across dead axis deer that seem to have died for no reason? The reason I ask is because ranchers and hunters out in West Texas have been reporting finding a significant number of dead pronghorn whose deaths can't be explained. If they are finding dead deer I'm curious if the deaths could be from the same cause. Right now Texas A&M is working on a cause of the deaths, but I haven't heard if they've come up with anything. TPWD has been asking hunters and ranchers to notify them if they come across any pronghorn carcasses.

South Texas Pronghorn are all Texas Longhorn fans. They started committing suicide after this football season.

/humor

No, they didn't mention any mysterious deaths, and the axis on my friend's ranch are all doing well. That's in Cuero, well south of Brady. If there was a mysterious ailment spreading north, it would reason that they would have issues. If the big game ranches in/around Kerrville start getting hit, that will be really bad news. That's more "central" than "south" though. I'll let you know if I hear anything. The aggys are on the case though, so I'm sure that's going to go well.

Boomhower

None

I hadn't heard about a Pronghorn die-off out here. But, they are studying a quail die-off that we are having. Quail season absolutely sucked this year.

I heard that South Texas had a disease that killed off a huge number of pigs last year. It took the pigs about 30 seconds to recover, though. I hate those things.

H60Gunner

Contributor
Great hunt Bevo! Good to see people getting their kids into hunting. I have three boys, oldest would hunt everyday if he could, middle could give a rats arse about hunting, youngest has been begging me to go since he could talk.

For bullets I like the 180gr Barnes TSX out of my .300wby., mostly for Elk. I shoot either the Nosler Partition or the Accubond out of my .308 for deer. I had a bad experience with the Barnes X bullet out of my .300 one year on an Elk, the bullet did not expand at about 100yds, and I gave up on Barnes until they came out with the TSX. I did get that Elk eventually.

You guys talking about disease killing off critters, we have one called Wolves. Re-introduced in the early 1990's and making a remarkable comeback, so well in fact that Elk hunting out here has changed forever and we had a wolf hunt two years ago.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Nice write up and pictures, BEVO. The best part of that whole deal is the memories your son now has.

Gotta love Lone Star!

Boomhower

None
Boomhower,

I got the antelope on the 2nd day of the trip. The little episode with the pig on the first day served as reminder to not leave the 9mm in the truck. When we drove up to the antelope, she tried to hop off and needed to be finished. 9mm is a lot cheaper than match .308, so I brained her from about 45 feet. It wasn't "gangsta", but it impressed the guys that I was hunting with. If you ever need help thinning axis out, I am your man. FWIW, I had the same experience last year with 150gr ammo. The 10% increase in bullet weight goes a long way.

BTW, I was just giving you some shit about the pistol. Didn't mean anything by it. Though, it would have impressed the guys you were hunting with even more if you had shot it 'gangsta' style. That's a sign that you really know how to shoot a pistol, when you hold it sideways, and it really impresses gun enthusiasts.