• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hung Nose Gear (CH-53)

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Relatively common happening in the 53E. Keep it on the main mounts, ground the helo if not already grounded by the mounts, send crew in to "fix" problem, land helo.

All in a day's work for BI drivers.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Must be fun trying to fix a stuck gear in the middle of a 53's rotorwash. Good Lord you guys put out a ton of wind . . .

Lonestar155

is good to go
Amazing since the helo pilot had to compensate for a pitching deck and other factors... Cool post and amazing skills!

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Is there a reason he lifted back off again before setting it back down? I'm guessing it's either SOP to ensure he doesn't screw up setting it down again in a slightly unusual attitude and strike a rotor, or he had to get weight off the scissor switches for some reason.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Is there a reason he lifted back off again before setting it back down? I'm guessing it's either SOP to ensure he doesn't screw up setting it down again in a slightly unusual attitude and strike a rotor, or he had to get weight off the scissor switches for some reason.

I'm guessing, but it looks like he was just repositioning to the spot since he bounced along off the axis of the spot while they were working on it.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ concur.

Probably one more good look at 3 down and locked before setting it down.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
It happened to me. It's not that big of a deal. Our situation was a little different because we were in the desert so we were browned out as we were hovering on the main mounts and the crew chief went out the back to fix the nose gear. Even if the crew chief couldn't get the gear down maintenance will usually get a stack of mattresses to land on.

I can't imagine not having crew chiefs!