• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN HT's a calamity

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
"Turning Navy/Marine Corps helicopter pilot training over to the Army creates certain challenges given that each service operates differently, but this would still be a better solution than trying to maintain the Navy’s current creaky, inefficient and even dangerous system."

For the love of all that is Holy, DON'T DO IT!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
You have to wonder what the fuck the Helo senior leaders are doing and why HT's get ignored year after year and the snails pace of innovation. Why doesnt this come up at NHA Flag panels?

I agree with the author that a modern medium/light twin is teh way to go for the HT's - for our student profile who accesses from the T-6. For years the HT syllabus was too rudimentry.

I hope it goes revolutionary - would be a huge benefit to the service.

Interesting and I had heard this from another GE source, that Sikorsky is pitching a basic UH-60 variant for primary training. Not without precedent! Good on them. Time for teh dinasaurs at NAVAIR to wake the fuck up

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Well, there is the argument that they're not going to get anything better than a tacan approach in the R, and ILS in the S. Technically the 57C is more advanced in that regards. . . Whether you're looking at a six pack or glass doesn't really seem to be a big deal to me. I'd just be more concerned about the airframe itself.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think the aging of the HT's has been ignored; the Navy has just done what it always does and kicked the can down the road one FY at a time. As with other programs, eventually we'll back ourselves into a corner and be forced to choose the least bad option.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I don't think the aging of the HT's has been ignored; the Navy has just done what it always does and kicked the can down the road one FY at a time. As with other programs, eventually we'll back ourselves into a corner and be forced to choose the least bad option.
Not to be confused with its surface ship, submarine, aircraft depot maintenance programs.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You have to wonder what the fuck the Helo senior leaders are doing and why HT's get ignored year after year and the snails pace of innovation. Why doesnt this come up at NHA Flag panels?

It's not ignored. It's been briefed at the last two ENARGs I attended (didn't go to this last one). But as was said, between SSBNx and other Surface priorities, there hasn't been the money.

Well, there is the argument that they're not going to get anything better than a tacan approach in the R, and ILS in the S. Technically the 57C is more advanced in that regards. . . Whether you're looking at a six pack or glass doesn't really seem to be a big deal to me. I'd just be more concerned about the airframe itself.

Not that I disagree with your overall point, but the R will at least start to have ILS/VOR in another year or two. RNAV approach capability should also be coming online around that time, as well.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The overall problem has been identified for years, and now it's being publicly squawked about at the GO/FO - DC level: as long as the Budget Control Act is in place, we don't have the money to fix our immediate, show-stopping problems (e.g., Marine legacy Hornets), let alone get ahead of problems on the horizon, like aging trainers. We're doing the equivalent of skipping mortgage payments in order to keep the lights and water on.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Interestingly enough Bristow Helicopters is shilling their rotary wing training programs at Sea-Air-Space right now! Also, Leonardo has a nicely out-fitted TH-119 on exhibit there as well.

Oh...I "finally" got my carrier qual in the fun little Boeing simulator.:cool:

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

pilot
Interestingly enough Bristow Helicopters is shilling their rotary wing training programs at Sea-Air-Space right now!

and with oil & gas revenue down, they have the capacity to get very competitive. It will take one Undersecretary to think its a good idea, then watch out.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Interesting and I had heard this from another GE source, that Sikorsky is pitching a basic UH-60 variant for primary training. Not without precedent! Good on them. Time for teh dinasaurs at NAVAIR to wake the fuck up

Way too expensive.

"Turning Navy/Marine Corps helicopter pilot training over to the Army creates certain challenges given that each service operates differently, but this would still be a better solution than trying to maintain the Navy’s current creaky, inefficient and even dangerous system."

For the love of all that is Holy, DON'T DO IT!

Who would want to move from Pensacola to Dothan???

and with oil & gas revenue down, they have the capacity to get very competitive. It will take one Undersecretary to think its a good idea, then watch out.

NO. Very few of the helicopters there are IFR capable. Moreover, they do not have enough helicopters. Finally, the majority of their birds are piston-engined. We are supposed to be going forward in technology, not backwards.

Needs to be glass. Negative training for SNA's to go from glass cockpit T-6 to a steam gauge helo trainer back to a glass cockpit fleet aircraft. Also needs to be GPS/WAAS compatible with the ability to do coupled (preferably 4-axis) LPV's.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Ok Mr. @Randy Daytona - so what next then? Army is all in on UH-72/EC145v for ab-initio training. Air Force is doing T-6 to TH-1H (Huey II, glass cockpit) - how soon before Undersecretary Smith pitches consolidation. Marine Corps and USCG could care less who trains - leaving Big Navy to fight this one on their own.

What does your crystal ball say?