• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HT-18 Insignia Signifigance?

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
So maybe it doesn't matter, and perhaps I'm a geek for asking... but there seems to be a lot of different symbols in HT-18's patch... and I'm just wondering if there's an official statement as to the symbology and meaning of it?

ht18s.jpg

I've looked around the squadron and didn't see a plaque... and after scouring the inter-tubes I came up blank. Any ideas?

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
I don't get it... what's the question?

Red white and blue: duh.

A stylized bird of prey/eagle: it's cool?

A trident: we're in the Navy.

The 18: are you serious?

I'm sorry, I get super sarcastic when I'm loaded.

kejo

pilot
haha nice

yeah there's really not much going on with that patch under the surface. now the HT-8 patch, there's a headscratcher for you, see if you can figure this one out:

logo_lrg.gif

derrrr

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
haha nice

yeah there's really not much going on with that patch under the surface. now the HT-8 patch, there's a headscratcher for you, see if you can figure this one out:

logo_lrg.gif

derrrr

Bottom third: Self-explanatory

Upper left third: Stresses the importance of a centered turn needle/ball when flying through a cumulonimbus cloud shaped like Illinois..obviously an instructional tool of some sort

Upper right third: Most likely a Freemason symbol

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
I don't get it... what's the question?

Red white and blue: duh.

A stylized bird of prey/eagle: it's cool?

A trident: we're in the Navy.

The 18: are you serious?

I'm sorry, I get super sarcastic when I'm loaded.

Ok, explain to me the bright orange Omega.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Upper right looks like an angled infinity symbol. Don't know the significance of putting it in stars. In the same vein as the last post, could it be a warning to be especially watchful for engine fires on startup at night?

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
callsign

if someone could just explain the factoryhand thing i'd be happy.

kejo

pilot
if you count the stars in the figure-8, there are 18. back when HT-8 and HT-18 were split between intermediate and advanced, studs would start in HT-8 with fams, then move on to HT-18 with the rest of their training and ultimately, winging. so, as it was, HT-18 was "in the stars" for those students flying fams in HT-8.

i first learned this word-of-mouth, but in the interest of full disclosure, it's also explained on the HT-8 website :icon_mi_1

**edit**
forgot to say, i never noticed the omega on the -18 patch...that's pretty cool