• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HSM-35 (The Magicians) Commissioning

robav8r

None
Contributor
Not painting related, but I'm guessing this was being delivered for the festivities tomorrow...

Thought this was kind of funny and about right for the program, as a whole. It wasn't even on a DoD flatbed, just a local towing company's truck.

View attachment 12315

GD - you just KNOW that NAVAIR & company have to keep the APN accounts healthy & relevant :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sure that wasn't the cake? I know some of those chefs on TV make some pretty neat cakes these days...

Maybe.

I was driving down 3rd street and saw some big truck with something on it and thought, "Ooo, don't want to be behind that," and changed lanes. Then realized, "Hey, that's Firescout! ...on a truck! Well, that fits." I happened to catch it again (in the pic) after getting gas and seeing it still hadn't made it on base yet.

Renegade One

None
Easy there R1 . . . we tolerate you tenuously, but let's not trash ones heritage now ;-)
I guess if I have to explain my "pop culture" references, they are neither as "popular" nor as "funny" as they were in their original contexts:

"A Bridge Too Far"…GEN Horrocks briefing the officers of XXX Corps before the kick-off of Operation MARKET GARDEN: "This is a story you will tell your grandchildren about…and mightily bored they'll be!"

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Great day today - I'm sure pics will be posted soon !!!

Like this:

IMG_5694.JPG

or this:

IMG_5699.JPG

Or this...two generations of AW reprobates....:

IMG_5734.JPG

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I heard a story about the ceremony on the radio this morning and after hear it and reading that DM article, as usual, the press fails to actually research anything. No one seems to care that the platform has been in use for years and the Navy has deployed with these in other squadrons for years.

On the plus side, at least the stories are mostly positive and PR-related.

Renegade One

None
Great day today - I'm sure pics will be posted soon !!!
Lots of coverage in today's SD Union Trib. Emphasis of the article I read seemed to indicate that the "det" pilots could spend as much time (or more?) piloting the Firescouts as they do piloting their helo. Crew rest was ID'd as an issue to keep eyes on. "A LCDR will be assigned to monitor this…" (or words to that effect). I assume they meant the Det OIC….like that was something new.

GroundPounder

I heard a story about the ceremony on the radio this morning and after hear it and reading that DM article, as usual, the press fails to actually research anything. No one seems to care that the platform has been in use for years and the Navy has deployed with these in other squadrons for years.

On the plus side, at least the stories are mostly positive and PR-related.

I posted it mostly for the pictures, the DM must have very low standards for their reporters. There have been a few things locally that have been picked up by them, and it appears that scan the internet for stories and then rewrite them from the original reports. The positive is that every other story involves someone in a bikini at the beach. Apparently every famous attractive woman from the UK is assigned photographers to accompany them to the beach.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Anyone else seeing those disassociated sea tour billets for UAV operator?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Anyone else seeing those disassociated sea tour billets for UAV operator?

Not really. These have been, and with the current plan, will be, part of the normal operational path for helo dudes. The few active component deployments with these have been "in house" with the AC squadrons (east coast HSL dets). The last 3 (and there's another one forming now) dets for "pure Firescout" have been manned primarily by the Reserve Component. While a lot of this is still up in the air, for the moment, you'll be part of a FS det as either a conventional LAMPS dude (augmented with a -60R) or as a RC guy on a FS-only det.

jmcquate

Contributor
Maybe this belongs in the “stupid questions”, but has any seen the control station? Does it get controlled like a rotary wing? Does it have a collective, peddles?

robav8r

None
Contributor
Spoke to a couple of pilots at the commissioning ceremony. They said 35 would be deploying (at least initially) on the new, LCS class with two Fire Scouts (two can fit in one hangar) and a single Romeo. The pilots did say that the 2P's and aircrewman would be primary controllers for the FS. One of the HAC's mentioned there was concern about upgrading flight hour availability for the 2P's. Be interesting to see how it plays out . . . . . .