• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How's 2014 look? / New ASTB question

navy2014

Two unrelated questions:

1. I've read some old threads on here where people talk about Navy intel hiring being a long shot because they've already accepted so many people and there is a backlog for people to start OCS. What is the situation going to be like in 2014? I started the process and talked extensively with a recruiter in 2013, but decided to wait until this year for personal reasons. The recruiter hasn't gotten back in touch with me since I reached out again, but I imagine that's because it is still the holidays.

2. I know intel applicants have to take the ASTB (which is how I find myself at this site to begin with, looking for ASTB gouges), but read that the ASTB has changed to be some kind of interactive joystick experience. I assume that the non-OAR portions are still the same--is that right? The recruiter was never straightforward with me about how much the non-OAR portions of the ASTB matter for intel applicants, so I thought I'd ask here. Especially given the new ASTB, how much does your non-OAR score affect your application? I am ready to take the OAR at any time, but have no idea where to start with studying the other sections. All the gouge links on this website are old / broken.

Thanks.

exNavyOffRec

1. 2014 is well underway, the first people to be commissioned in FY 2014 left for OCS about July 1 2013. IDC held a board in December but only for IW applicants, the rest of the board has been "postponed" and the next scheduled board is Feb 10th with the deadline being Jan 6th.

2. Intel applicants only take the OAR, the aviation sections AQR/PFAR/FOFAR are not required.

3. Your profile is very lacking, we don't know if you are a 22 year old college senior or a 43 year old that wants to serve his country now, academically we don't know if you have a 2.3 in Art History or a 4.0 in Computer Science, the 4.0 in CS would set you up quite well though.

navy2014

1. Thanks for the information. Sounds like I phrased the question poorly by asking about 2014, since, like you said, people commissioning in 2014 began the process long ago. What I'm interested in would be the timeline for someone who is basically starting now. I'll definitely miss the January 6th deadline, so I guess I will just have to finish my application as quickly as possible and be patient. Probably not a great question to begin with.

2. That makes sense to me, but the recruiter told me (and I've read other places) that intel applicants take the full thing. Any clue why that idea is out there so much?

3. I haven't provided much personal information, you're right. I wasn't planning on asking for my "chances" because I know that nothing is certain and I figured that those kinds of questions would be annoying around here. For what it's worth, I'm 26, had a 3.9 in Spanish at a good college, and a 3.8 at a good law school.

exNavyOffRec

Not sure where you would have read that, I have had several been picked up IDC (Intel/IW/IP) and none took the full ASTB.

Given your age if your main focus is to be a USN officer you should look at SWO as well, IDC has a very low selection rate, for non AD, and non prior the common factors are a tech degree with a high GPA, they changed the program authorization so now tech degrees are listed as "preferred" and non tech are listed as "acceptable", in general Intel follows a 60% tech and 40% non tech selection plan. Those that are AD and prior have a "wild card"

Usually the goal for Intel is about 30 per year, I have seen it a bit higher and a lot lower.

navy2014

Good to know about the test. I read it in a couple of places--the only one I can think of right now for sure was the Peterson's "Master the Officer Candidate Tests" information / study book. If the recruiter still says that I need to take the full ASTB, I guess I'll just take it without worrying about the non-OAR parts.

Thanks for the information about intel selection. Some really helpful stuff, even though it isn't exactly positive for me. I guess I need to learn more about the other officer communities and give them some consideration.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I haven't provided much personal information, you're right. I wasn't planning on asking for my "chances" because I know that nothing is certain and I figured that those kinds of questions would be annoying around here. For what it's worth, I'm 26, had a 3.9 in Spanish at a good college, and a 3.8 at a good law school.

I think that was a gentle nudge to fill in your profile.

If you are currently in Law School, then why wouldn't you want to become a Judge Advocate General for the Navy?

navy2014

I think that was a gentle nudge to fill in your profile.

If you are currently in Law School, then why wouldn't you want to become a Judge Advocate General for the Navy?

I thought I just needed enough information in there to prove that I'm not a spam account. I try to stay anonymous online, but I'll think about it.

I'm not currently in law school. I did well, finished, learned a lot, passed the bar. I don't regret it, but I don't want to be a lawyer, not even for the Navy.

exNavyOffRec

I thought I just needed enough information in there to prove that I'm not a spam account. I try to stay anonymous online, but I'll think about it.

I'm not currently in law school. I did well, finished, learned a lot, passed the bar. I don't regret it, but I don't want to be a lawyer, not even for the Navy.

You probably have a much better shot at getting into JAG Corps then you do IDC, or maybe even SWO at this point.

navy2014

You probably have a much better shot at getting into JAG Corps then you do IDC, or maybe even SWO at this point.

That's interesting. I thought very few people were accepted into JAG (when they didn't commit during law school) and you needed extensive trial experience, or something like that. Regardless, it's not really on my radar.

Do you think my chances at intel are that bad? I read what you said about 60/40 for tech/non-tech, and of the 40%, the ones who get chosen are prior or active duty, but I would think that if there's ever an exception, it would be someone with my qualifications, right? The recruiter I've talked to wouldn't tell me my chances, but definitely didn't leave me as doubtful as this has. I guess all I can do is apply anyway.

exNavyOffRec

That's interesting. I thought very few people were accepted into JAG (when they didn't commit during law school) and you needed extensive trial experience, or something like that. Regardless, it's not really on my radar.

Do you think my chances at intel are that bad? I read what you said about 60/40 for tech/non-tech, and of the 40%, the ones who get chosen are prior or active duty, but I would think that if there's ever an exception, it would be someone with my qualifications, right? The recruiter I've talked to wouldn't tell me my chances, but definitely didn't leave me as doubtful as this has. I guess all I can do is apply anyway.

There have been boards where the selection rate for Intel is 3% in general the selection rate for IDC is lower than any other designator, those with tech degrees or AD with tech background have much better odds because more with non tech degrees apply for IDC that have aged out from other programs, there are other designators that have higher age limits but they require tech degrees.

I worked with an OR who had an applicant that had multiple graduate degrees in foreign studies, very high GPA, and interned back in DC in an Intel job, when he didn't get picked up but the person with a BS in physics with about a 3.4 GPA was picked up we were saying "crap, they really do want tech degrees"

I can say for every IDC person I have seen picked up I have seen about 20 others who weren't that probably would have been picked up SWO or aviation without a problem.

Renegade One

None
Um…probably just me…but, if that's how you feel...WTF were you doing in Law School all those years?!? :eek:

navy2014

Um…probably just me…but, if that's how you feel...WTF were you doing in Law School all those years?!? :eek:

Hah... man, you guys are killing me. Anyway, law school's only 3 years. I hadn't realized what I wanted to do yet, knew I'd do well enough to get a chance to see what being a lawyer is about, and then discovered that I didn't like it. Doesn't seem so bad / shocking to me.

sundown88

Navy Connoisseur
I know a couple of ppl who went to law school and never even thought to pursue a career in law. Some folks just want the challenge.

V/r,

Sundown88

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hah... man, you guys are killing me. Anyway, law school's only 3 years. I hadn't realized what I wanted to do yet, knew I'd do well enough to get a chance to see what being a lawyer is about, and then discovered that I didn't like it. Doesn't seem so bad / shocking to me.

Being a Navy JAG is far from being a lawyer. From most of the JAGs I know, they tell me it isn't as procedural as being a trial lawyer, it's more about Law of the Sea and Uniform Code of Military Justice. You may want to sit down and talk with a JAG. Some JAGs never see the walls of a court room.