• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to find the closest officer recruiter

Status
Not open for further replies.

K5blazer83

Apparently these guys are few and far between and the one's I do get a hold of are complete arrogant assholes or non-caring, lazy people. But I figured thats how it would be. When I enlisted they drug me through the muck now I have to do it myself. No problem, I'll be a prior-service college grad in 6 months.

Aynways, does anybody know how to contact the nearest officer recruiter? I left my info on the website 3 times already in the last 3 months to no avail! I'm in Maryland if thats any help. Any assistance or advice would be much appreciated!

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What have you done to find an officer recruiter besides leave your information on a website?

What happened that indicated you were dealing with "complete arrogant assholes or non-caring, lazy people."

K5blazer83

There was one Senior Chief through a 1-800 number that I was able to contact but he kept telling me because I am prior-service (Navy of course) and my degreee will be a Bachelors in History and a 3.2 GPA that I have absolutely no chance of getting into OCS. He said "son, you might as well either join the Army or take out loans and go to grad school." He also inferred the Navy does not have a place for me: "Prior-service are a hassle to deal with, its easier to 'create' a new candidate from a civilian."
Needless to say this has discouraged me greatly in my path to receiving a commision.
I would prefer to Stay Navy but if I have to join the Army to get a comission I'm not going to be a happy camper.

K5blazer83

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by K5blazer83
When I enlisted they drug me

wat​

I guess I meant to say they dragged me through all the paperwork.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So to clarify, in order to help you, you spoke with a Senior Chief on the phone. Was he the only person you spoke with? You used plural terms in your original post. Also, this was an officer recruiter, correct?

The bottom line is this: Nothing indicates that you aren't a viable candidate.

I've read your previous posts and you've repeatedly stated that you think or have been told that being prior enlisted will hurt your chances. It will not. I say again, It will not. You need to find the physical location of an officer recruiter nearby, and either make an appointment or show up and meet face to face.

I looked up "navy officer recruiting" with "maryland" on google and yahoo and found multiple resources that can provide leads for you. Recommend you start there.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Needless to say this has discouraged me greatly in my path to receiving a commision.

If this is making you think about quitting, then maybe you don't have what it takes to be a Naval Officer. Repeat after me: Hooah!

Like Zab so eloquently eluded to, you need to try a little harder. If you really want to be a Naval Officer, then you should be able to move mountains to achieve your goals.

[insert]motivational statement about quitting and persistence[/insert] <- (if you are not going to try, neither will I.)

-ea6bflyr ;)

BTW, commission is spelled with two m's and two s's.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
I had the same problem as you!
Don't bother with the websites or even the phone. Like people have already told you, get in the car and go there. Also, be ready to do a lot of paperwork on your own with little guidance from them, these guys are busy and they will not hold your hand through this one. It is not like getting recruited for enlistment, heck, even those guys don't do that anymore.
But trust me, if you can put up with the months it takes to get everything ready and then if you are lucky enough to get picked up, it is all so worth it.
Good Luck

BM2

P.S. Being a prior is a BIG PLUS, unless you were a dirtbag!!!!

K5blazer83

Well I spent 5 years enlisted and after getting out 3 years ago it's been plaguing me to go back as an officer. A weakness of mine is fear of failure. I've been reading alot online about OCS since it is a completely different monster from enlisted boot camp and the more I read of failure rates, rollbacks and DOR's the more it discourages me. I can't see myself doing anything else but the Navy. If I go through life being a civilian I know I won't be happy and regret sucks.
That's a ton of personal info out there but we're all professionals here.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
Well I spent 5 years enlisted and after getting out 3 years ago it's been plaguing me to go back as an officer. A weakness of mine is fear of failure. I've been reading alot online about OCS since it is a completely different monster from enlisted boot camp and the more I read of failure rates, rollbacks and DOR's the more it discourages me. I can't see myself doing anything else but the Navy. If I go through life being a civilian I know I won't be happy and regret sucks.
That's a ton of personal info out there but we're all professionals here.

You will never know unless you try!
Don't look at those stats! The only stats you should be concerned about right now are the "stats" that will go into your package.
OCS is not going to be easy, but nothing good in life is easy. So, don' let some stupid stats put you down.
Do like I do: I am the best and I will stop at nothing, the only way that I will quit is when THEY carry my out on a stretcher.
That is how I feel about that.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No one on here, or any officer recruiter, is going to do the work for you. Your last 2 posts seem to indicate that you understand that. Do some real research (beyond 1-800 numbers, and I recommend using the search function on here as well as the front page for pages upon pages of "how to become a Navy officer," with plenty of success stories) and pound the pavement/get on the road.

This thread is closed for the time being. Use the search function before you post more questions. Read every thread about how to go from prior enlisted to officer. Read people's profiles to see who has done the same thing you aspire to. Send private messages. Above all, take ownership of this process and stop blaming "arrogant assholes or non-caring, lazy people." Applicants are a dime a dozen, you have to go the extra mile to become an officer in this Navy. This is your future and you are the person with something to prove. Step up and do so. There are plenty of guys ready to take your place.

Status
Not open for further replies.