• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to: “How Much Will I Get for my PCS?”

KSUFLY

pilot
Absolutely right - thats why I posted this. Until I learned about travel in school, it was a crapshoot for how much I'd get - and I'd never know if it was right or not.

Well Snizo, thanks for all the great information. Hopefully, people will read this and get some idea of how much they should get. Thanks again.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Good reason to check in on the last day possible. It's not that I'm out to "scam" the Navy but just to get every penny possible. They'll never tell you that you were underpaid $50 but they'll be sure to tell you that you were overpaid $20.

Not really a good reason to check in on the last day possible. The difference between travel and proceed, and how many days you have before you are required to check in can be huge. For instance, if you are given 3 days travel, then, as I understand it, you have an additional three days proceed. So you have 6 days prior to your leave counter starting.

Snizo, question do you continue to get the FRPD during proceed?

MasterBates

Spy, Proceed is only coming off of sea or overseas shore duty.

No FRPD during Proceed. Baisically it is days off to get your junk in order. Basically assumes you have been deployed and came back to chaos.

I believe procees is 4 days regardless of travel time. I had 1 day travel and 4 days proceed to Whiting from JAX. When they changed my orders to Corpus I got 4 days proceed and 4 days travel.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Spy, Proceed is only coming off of sea or overseas shore duty.
No FRPD during Proceed. Baisically it is days off to get your junk in order. Basically assumes you have been deployed and came back to chaos.

I believe procees is 4 days regardless of travel time. I had 1 day travel and 4 days proceed to Whiting from JAX. When they changed my orders to Corpus I got 4 days proceed and 4 days travel.

I don't know about that. I've gotten proceed leaving a shore duty station as well as training commands (I.E. TRACOM to RAG).

Brett

MasterBates

Weird. I was told you only got it coming off of sea duty by PSD and our PSC at -42..

I stand corrected by someone who has been in the Navy longer than I have been able to walk upright..

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Weird. I was told you only got it coming off of sea duty by PSD and our PSC at -42..

I stand corrected by someone who has been in the Navy longer than I have been able to walk upright..

I'm sure some enterprising young person will bust out the applicable instructions presently. :D

Brett

snizo

Supply Officer
The instruction is MILPERSMAN 1320-090 found here

I didn't read through the whole thing to get the weird cases, but generally CONUS shore tour to CONUS shore tour is not authorized proceed time - if you got it, you're just luckier than most ;)

MB - it is for coming off sea/overseas tour or reporting to a sea/overseas tour.

ibarrasergio33

Question- I am a prior enlisted turned NFO. I Reported to Pensacola Florida for API from Old Dominion University in Virginia this February. I traveled via POV and did a DITY move to get here. I requested DLA upon checking out of my old command but did not receive it once I arrived. The reason PSD gives me is that I am going from one school to another which eliminates DLA eligibility. I have looked through the JTFM Chapter 5 but I cannot find anything that sounds like it applies to students only. I would appreciate some clarification if anyone can see what I am not seeing. This is $1580 I want to be very sure that I am not eligible for before I give up on it.
Thanks

boobcheese

I can't speak authoritatively on whether or not you are technically entitled to it but I was in your exact situation when I reported in Oct and I received my DLA without a hitch.

snizo

Supply Officer
How To: "How Much Will I Get for my PCS" Part II: Two Cars, Two Checks

I realize that my previous post doesn't help a whole lot with those of you who are married and have two cars. This post will address the question of "what if my spouse and I both drive to my new duty station?"

So - let's run through the previous example of PCSing from Pensacola to Norfolk, which we already determined to be about 890 miles (repeat disclaimer - the DoD has its own mileage calculator, so you can use Google to check the distance between city pairs (not your actual addresses), but that will only be an approximate figure). But this time, dad will be driving with his son for some quality father/son time, and mom with your daughter.

OK ... two scenarios. (a) you both leave at the same time, go on the same route, stop in the same places, and (b) you leave at different times or take different routes, etc.

Example 1: Traveling Separately
This is generally your more lucrative option. Since you have to pay for two separate hotel rooms along the way, mileage on two cars, etc, you get more per diem and twice the mileage.

So, that is a MALT of $151.30 each to pay for both mom and dad's car/gas/oil/etc. You get $0.15 for the driver + $0.02 for each dependent traveling (up to a $0.05 additional) to get $0.17 x 890 miles x 2 cars for a total of $302.60

And, for FRPD, each driver will get $99 per day of travel, and the dependents will get either 75% of that if over 12 years old, or 50% if under 12 yrs old. We'll say one child is 14, and the other is 10 - so one driver will get $99 x 3 days for dad + $74.25 x 3 days for junior to get a total of $519.75 for that pair. Mom will get $99 x 3 days + $49.50 x 3 days to get a total of $965.25.

DLA will be the same since you probably aren't canceling and setting up utilities and such for two separate residences - $2053.04 for the O-2 servicemember

That is a total of $3320.89 for your trip.

Example 2: Traveling Together
In this case, you're both leaving at the same time, stopping at the same time, and arriving at the same place/time. It is sort of a combination of the two procedures.

Since you are taking two cars, you can take MALT similar to the example above (two cars, twice the gas/oil/loss of value to your car). So you still get the $302.60 for MALT.

For FRPD, though, you're still stopping at the same places, so you get the prorated amounts for everyone that travels with you. That is $99 for the servicemember, $74.25 for the spouse, and older kid, and $49.50 for the younger child for a total of $297 per day, or $891 for the three day trip.

DLA, once again, stays the same depending on your rank and dependent status. An O-2 with dependents gets $2053.04 for his trouble.

This gives us a grand total of $3246.64.

Example 3: Different Routes
What happens, you might wonder, if mom stops off with little Sally to visit grandma in Jacksonville on the way to Norfolk. That gives her a total of 970 miles to transit from Pensacola to Norfolk.

So she gets a higher rate for her MALT, right? Wrong - your entitlements are only for the PCS route. Anything you decide to do along the way for 'extracurricular activities' (yea you know what I'm talking about) is at your own expense (and risk, ha).

Conclusion
So - these two posts should outline the basics of how much you're entitled to for your move - my number one question from line officers (and anyone else). These were pretty straight forward - things really get complicated when you start to include TDY in your move, TLE, etc. Again - this is just an outline. If you want to know about your strange specific case, it is best to ask a DK or Disbo at your command.

If you find these helpful, there are probably a few others I can post (TAD, how much leave you'll get charged during travel, how wardroom mess bills are supposed to work, etc). Let me know if any of that sounds interesting...

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
Same question I think I asked on an earlier post, but I still have it, and it's somewhat relevant to this topic:
Shipping vehicles? For instance, for a two-car situation where one person doesn't want to drive INCONUS. Can a travel claim be filed for mileage and used to pay for shipping? PSD swears up and down to me that it can, but I don't see it in the JFTR, and if it isn't legal then I won't do it.

snizo

Supply Officer
^^^^
Again - this is just an outline. If you want to know about your strange specific case, it is best to ask a DK or Disbo at your command.

Sorry, trunk. I don't know the answer to your question offhand. I'm sure it is in the JFTR somewhere (see references on original post) ... or ask a senior DK (now PS) at your command.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
No one knows... to include those senior people and myself after reading the JFTR, so I thought I'd give it a go on airwarriors. I'll just keep the records, pay for it myself, and if nothing else, it'll be a tax write-off.

Ric Hard

I graduated from OCS on March 30th. I got married on April 2nd and checked into TBS on April 5th. I checked with the CAC office and they said I dont rate DLA because I got married after my graduation date of March 30th. They added if I would have been married on March 29th then I would have recieved it. I know other lieutenants that have done the same thing and rated DLA. I've been checking the regs and found nothing on this so far. Does anyone know where I might be able to find the reg stating dates of marriage between order dates IOT recieve DLA?