• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How much does prior flight training help?

EWU12

"That's a true fact"
pilot
Contributor
"Can't speak at all to the reality of today, but, in my day, the system was designed to train people with ZERO actual flight experience and no ground school."

Day 1 of ground school in SNA primary (after IFS and API) still begins with "this is a propeller" and "this is a rudder" and "these are ailerons". It's whatever comes before Barney style.

ryan1234

A bunch of us are on the way towards military aviation.

What you've been advocating... "flexibility and adapting" is easier said than done - it will no doubt be hard for you in particular, no matter what you say. Trust me. You may have been in some real sketchy stuff... may even have actually had every EP that any IP can throw at you. You may have time in 69 different air frames flying over 69% of the world. No one cares. It may spark up an interesting conversation with an IP while grabbing lunch at an FBO. But... no one actually cares.

It's best just to keep your mouth shut and color in the lines. Just nod your head and agree with your IPs. Think learn-ability, not refining a skill set. If you don't, you'll only be working against yourself. Of course, this is coming from an AF perspective... so take it with a grain of salt.

Top_Gun_101

Fly GA
Does age have something to do with Airframe selection for a Pilot or NFO ?:confused:
I'm just wondering if the Navy are still gonna train people in their late 20's on the T-45s or put them on a centrifuge etc
I heard that older sna/snfo folks usually get props or helos in the fleet because its less physically demanding but i'm not sure if that's true

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Does age have something to do with Airframe selection for a Pilot or NFO ?:confused:
I'm just wondering if the Navy are still gonna train people in their late 20's on the T-45s or put them on a centrifuge etc
I heard that older sna/snfo folks usually get props or helos in the fleet because its less physically demanding but i'm not sure if that's true
No,
What you heard is bullshit.

Top_Gun_101

Fly GA
I guess that age limitation often happens to prior E folks . The only thing they seem to fly are props and helos, never jets or even prop tailhooks:confused:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I guess that age limitation often happens to prior E folks . The only thing they seem to fly are props and helos, never jets or even prop tailhooks:confused:

First of all...wrong.

Second of all... Often times that happens due to their grades. Statistically, Prior E folks score lower. Not everyone, but overall.

Thirdly...many of those guys have already deployed and are looking for a better QOL. Back in the day (and perhaps today, but I'm not a VP guy), VP was the way to go. There's also a few good deals in the helo community, as well (and more so in the past).

I know this may be a surprise, but 3 years on a FFG and then battling the War on Terror from a NOSC doesn't mean you have the nut cracked.