• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How long until we're officially "in"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc33

My wife and I have been through a LONG process while attempting to re-enlist in the officer program and were finally accepted a few weeks ago. She'd like to know about how long it takes now before we find out where we'll be stationed, when we'll leave, etc...Also, were any of you able to be with your spouse during OCS? We live in Michigan currently so we're wondering when we can all make the move?

OracleMSU

Civvy SNA Hopeful
Hey. I'm a fellow Michigan civvy with similar questions. Although I am pretty sure you wont be able to see your spouse more than once or twice during OCS, if at all.

Just from what I have read on the posts, it seems that some people are taking as long as a year from submitting their initial application to starting OCS.

But I'd be anxious to hear if it's shorter. As a hopeful SNA, I don't have much time left. I'm 25 as of January and wont be applying until fall.

Doc33

We started the process last year in May so from start to (almost) finish, a year is about right. Our recruiter said he predicts August OCS but it's tough not knowing exactly when. Are you prior enlisted? I don't know if that actually helped or hindered me but at least I have an idea of what to expect.

PS I'll be 30 in June so it's never too late!

OracleMSU

Civvy SNA Hopeful
I am not prior enlisted, so I throught the cutoff was 27. Doesn't the age waiver only apply for prior? My package will be competitive in every aspect (in my belief) except my college GPA. So I have to worry about them seeing my GPA and going, well, if he didn't need an age waiver...maybe....

I dunno. I'm just very worried.

I was very overweight through college, and it may not be easy for people to relate to this, but I had severe confidence issues and thought I would never get fit. I'm well on my way to my goal now, and am starting to revitalize my dream of being an Naval Officer (preferably Pilot, but I'd dig ditches just to be an Officer). Unfortunately this led to lackluster performance in my college years, as I bounced around from major to major, trying to feel out what I liked best, meanwhile doing poorly in classes. I will end up with a Bachelors of Science in Mathematics, but my GPA will be sub 3.0 by a moderate margin.

I hope that they wont just look at my GPA and laugh. If they do, they'll get encore performances because I'll never stop applying.

What's the age cutoff for selection as an Ensign Ditchdigger anyway?

Doc33

Yep, SNA. Waiting to swear in (this week or early next we're told). Then what??? There seems to be plenty of "once you're here" questions and answers but we're in the very early stages of that yet. I would love to hear from someone else from the very beginning of their experience!!

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
if u are an SNA, here is what u are looking at for the next year or 2
API: pensacola (it is supossed to be only 6 weeks, but stand by... i was there 3.5 mos)
Primary: Whiting, Corpus, Vance or Moody (avg 6-9 mos)
Advanced: Helos (whiting) ~6 mos
Jets (Kingsville or Meridian) Long time
Props (Corpus) ~6-8 mos
E-6's (Tinker , i think) no idea
E-2/C-2 (corpus then kingsville) long time

From there it pretty much breaks down to west or east coast sqds, you can do a search on the internet and find some good inof on where fleet sqds are.

Doc33

Thanks for the quick replies. A slight typo however (I think I was reading and typing at the same time) I am a SNFO, not SNA. Sorry about that.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
SNFO
you go to OCS in Pensacola, you go to API in pensacola, you go to Primary in Pensacola, and dependingon what you select you may do advanced in Pensacola... I think it is San Antonio (randolph afb???) if you go P-3

I am sure someone with better knowlege can answer that better.

JenniH

Jennifer
Primary can be in Pcola or Corpus Christi, and if you request CC, you'll pretty much get it, since most people want to stay in Pcola (which is what I wished we had done, personally).
As for OCS, I moved down w/ my husband with our daughter and one on the way. Sunday mornings for a couple of hours the families can meet at the chapel. This will be for the first 4 weeks, until they candidates have Inspection. If they pass they are eligible for weekend leave--if they don't pass, it will be another 2 weeks. The last 2 weeks as Candi-o's may give you more freedom (in the evening) depending on the job you have been assigned.
I was really glad I went to Pcola during that time, especially since my husband was med-down for 6 additional weeks, making OCS 19 weeks for him.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
OracleMSU said:
I am not prior enlisted, so I throught the cutoff was 27. Doesn't the age waiver only apply for prior?

What's the age cutoff for selection as an Ensign Ditchdigger anyway?

You're right about the cutoff. You have to be commissioned by the time you're 27 if you're not prior. I think it's 29 for NFOs.

The max age limit to be an officer is 35, however, other programs (such as NUPOC) have their own deadline as well.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I saw my wife and kids all the time at ocs after the 4th week. During the first 4 weeks it was on Sundays and maybe I'd run into them on a bx run. I am glad they were in P'cola. Made my life a lot better.

Dave

stevew

Anyone know if the same applies to Marine OCS? Can you get to see your family Sundays even before you are granted liberty?

Status
Not open for further replies.