• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How long does training take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n880dt

Hello,

First, sorry about the newbie question. I am 14 and I realy want to join the Navy and hopefully become a fighter pilot and then an airline pilot after the Navy. Sometime later this year I will be starting my flight training at a local school. I was thinking of joining the Navy at 17. If I did would I still go to the same high school? How does that work? Will I go to a military college later on? So if I sign up and I have my ppl would I be guarentied a spot as a Pilot or will I become a toilet cleaner ? How long does it take to become a fighter pilot in the Navy? Thanks and sorry about all the "beginner" questions.

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
Hi! I'm sure the other guys will jump all over this post, so I'll try to dispell some of the newbie myths first.

First of all, all pilots are officers. In order to become an officer, you must have a college degree either through the Naval Academy or NROTC. If you already hold a degree, you may obtain a commission through OCS. Personally, I'd advise against enlisting at 17; you probably will want to get your education first. But, there are cases of enlisted men getting a degree and becomming officers.

While having a PPL is a plus, and lots of fun, it will in no way guarantee you an SNA slot. Secondly, refer back to the FAR/AIM regulations, but remember that you cannot solo an aircraft until you are 16, and cannot hold the PPL certificate until you are 17.

As for how long: You must get your 4-yr college education
graduate_125.gif
, go through about a year of training in the T-34 and T-45 (other guys can give more info on this) and then specialized training in your aircraft type.
Good Luck to you in your endevours!
icon_smile.gif

The Three D's of Aviation: Never do anything Dumb, Dangerous, or Different!

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
Definately go to college!! I think if you go to the naval academy you can start flight training during your third or fourth year, but don't quote me on that. I'm sure some of the other guys can be more specific.

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

n880dt

Thanks guys, I already know everything about getting my ppl and how you have to be a officer to be a pilot in the Navy.I'll diffenatly get my college degree first.So after college and I go to the recruiters office am I still guarentied a spot as a pilot? So once I complete basic Navy training it will take 1-2 years before im off in a carrier somewhere? That sounds fair.Thanks again!

NuSnake

If you have a degree you go to 13 weeks of OCS to become an officer then you start flight training(I think approximately 2 years until you are winged) then you go get trained on your specific aircraft for the fleet, it takes some time to get there but it is accomplishable, seems to me like all those who have been sucessful that I have talked to were completely dedicated to what they want to do. Just set your goals high(you have tons of time being 14 yrs old, dont worry so much about it and have a ton of fun while you can!!!). If you set your sites high youll get paid off in the long run. Hope that this helped in some wierd way.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
--Edmund Burke

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
Because of your age, when the time comes consider applying to the Naval Academy or for an NROTC scholarship. Who knows, maybe you'll get one and your parents won't have to pay for college!

Again, nothing guarantees anybody an SNA slot. Many things disqualify us, from medical stuff to academic problems.

Having the PPL just demonstrates an aptitude for the stuff. How well that aptitude transferrs to the cockpit of a USN fighter is another story entirely. I once heard the story of an SNA entering with considerable flying time in private airplanes. He ended up eliminating himself from training simply because he could not move his skills to a military flying environment. Remember that military and civilian flying are two completely different animals.
Best of Luck to You!

The Three D's of Aviation: Never do anything Dumb, Dangerous, or Different!

Status
Not open for further replies.