• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How go NROTC and fly Marine?

MrFreakinKite

I've applied for the navy 4-yr scholarship. I haven't started ROTC yet (and haven't even gotten the scholarship), but I think I want to fly in the USMC. I hear that it's a different program being a Marine in ROTC. Could I switch to this after I start?

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Short answer, yes. I did it. The summer following your freshman year you will go to CORTRAMID (Career Orientation Training for Midshipman). You will spend a week in each Naval community: Surface (on a ship), Sub-Surface (on a ship), Aviation (in a squadron and maybe a fam hop), and Marines (Go play in the dirt and shoot things). The mission is to give you a taste of each community in order to give you a place to start when you think about service selecting. One of which is, DING, you guessed it, Marine Corps.

So if you have a Navy scholarship now don't fret. You can still go Marines. You will be briefed about all of this ad-nausea when you check in so don't worry.

If you got any specific questions, PM me and I'll fill you in.

EDIT: I knew there was a thread about this already --> CLICK

torpedo0126

you basically can go through the Navy side of the program all the way up to partially through your junior year before the transfer to the Marine options must occur. You will most likely put in your package toward the beginning of the school year.

I had two friends who did this my junior year of college, transferred, completed OCS, and are now at TBS.

If you want to do a little of the leg work for yourself, google Regulations for Officer Development (the ROD). Its a large .pdf document that will tell you everything you need to know and more about your NROTC unit.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I had a friend go thru 4 years of NROTC as a navy option and wanted to go special warfare; he ended up switching to Marine in his senior year because he wanted to be pointy end of the spear and the BUD/S option wasn't looking likely to pan out. The MOI and AMOI knew he was a solid guy and pushed hard to get him an OCS and TBS slot. He's a Marine infantry officer now...living the dream, i guess.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
We just had a guy do that.

Ditto here. He tried for seal twice (dropped one class so he can graduate a semester later) and didn't get it either time. He goes to boot camp next month.

We also had one Marine Option drop recently to pursue a career in Crossfit. I kid you guys not.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Ditto here. He tried for seal twice (dropped one class so he can graduate a semester later) and didn't get it either time. He goes to boot camp next month.

We also had one Marine Option drop recently to pursue a career in Crossfit. I kid you guys not.

Retards.

First guy--sure hope he passes BUD/S, or it will be a long enlistment chipping paint as a nonrate.

Second guy--I guess he's opening a training business? He realizes he'd be allowed to work out in the Marines, right? Crossfit's rabidly pro-military, so I'm surprised he'd pass the Corps up. I mean I like CF, but c'mon.