• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How does reserve pay work?

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
The reserves are some of the best deals out there. Too bad the Marine Corps keeps closing all the squadrons in their typical short-sightedness. In a few more years, there won't be anywhere to drill other than the training command and -130's.

Good point. After '08, All there will be Hornet Wise in the USMCR is the Cowboys at NFW.

Navy isn't much better with Either A) 204 Driver B) Be a Bad Guy at 12 or 13.

Least you still got 209 and 77, though, if you're not a Hornet guy. Then the Jags at Mayport for you Helo Bubba's + All the VR Units.

26Retro

Recovering COD pilot
Standing over the bailout hatch eh Bunk? We're dropping like flies :icon_wink.

Check your PM's.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
What community isn't dropping like flies at this point?!?

Got that right. It's tough to have only 3.5 years left to 20 once my orders are up here. Things will have to go my way which in the almost 37 years of my life, little has :eek:

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Bunk, are you really considering trying to switch to the reserves at this point?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
How much total time would that put you at? I'm kind of curious because I just recently had a sit down with one of my LTs (on his first shore tour) talking about finances and the staying in/getting out decision. One of the things I made him do was figure out the practical difference between retiring as an O-4 from active duty at 20 years (drawing a pension immediately), and retiring as an 06 from SELRES with the subsequent delay in drawing the check. It turned into a good discussion - PM me if you are interested.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
How much total time would that put you at? I'm kind of curious because I just recently had a sit down with one of my LTs (on his first shore tour) talking about finances and the staying in/getting out decision. One of the things I made him do was figure out the practical difference between retiring as an O-4 from active duty at 20 years (drawing a pension immediately), and retiring as an 06 from SELRES with the subsequent delay in drawing the check. It turned into a good discussion - PM me if you are interested.

This would be a great thing to post in the private transitions or Private Naval Aviators Forum. I have been doing that math myself as I contemplate the stay or go decision. The math isn't the same as when I joined and can be eye opening... I would like to see some of his results to compare to what I came up with.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Two concerns with that - the first is that there are a lot of personal assumptions you have to make and then stick to in order to make the math useful (how long are you going to live, # of kids, SBP, etc). The second is that looking at somebody else's can influence your assumptions to the point of making them somewhere between non-applicable to outright misleading.

Having said that, if I get the opportunity I will try to make a more generic one that more people could find useful. Also, if anybody has sat down and calculated it for themselves I'll be happy to do the same thing I did for my LT and look at it and tell you what I think.

(As a side note, my credentials for offerring to do that are that I have been a college math professor, and my own financial decisions/calculations led me to choose a particular form of career suicide which I have been very happy with).

EDIT: Since I was threadjacking a bit anyways, I will add this. Part of the exercise I put him through was also designed to teach him a bit more of using spreadsheets. What he put together was intuitive for him, but would take a bit of effort to become adaptable for others. On top of the personal financial end of the discussion, I think it was pretty helpful for him in understanding what it takes to make a spreadsheet useful for your boss as a decision making aid (ease of use and flexibility/transparency of changing assumptions, for instance). Being as I am a bit tired of getting briefs that are essentially randomly-colored-8-pt-fonts-o-crap I figured it to be good training all around...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

Active duty time would equal 16yrs 5 mos........3.5 left to full active retirement.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Unless punching at that time would give you access to a lucrative career that wouldn't be there three years later, it would be hard for leaving early to work out for you financially.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Unless punching at that time would give you access to a lucrative career that wouldn't be there three years later, it would be hard for leaving early to work out for you financially.

You're right about that. The other part is about being happy in this aspect of my life. That hasn't occurred for a while. There's the onion for me.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I'm with you there - and as you can probably tell from some of my posts I totally understand the impulse. But.... when it comes to eating turds (to use a lovely metaphor), we are old pros at this point. You can hold your breath for 3 years, when it comes right down to it.