• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How do you make yourself "like" to run

jbright44

jtd22 said:
Didn't you say in an earlier post that you had 7% body fat while you "ran track" in highschool. Are you just screwing around?

I did say that. I did run track 1 year. I was a sprinter so the most I ever ran was about 2-3 miles. Most everything we did was interval based training for speed. I hated it. That's why I only ran one year. But, man was I in good shape.

jbright44

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like it's going to be just like I thought. Just suck it up and do and it will get easier and more "enjoyable." Well, time to get sucking...it up that is!!! I've got a plan. That's the first step. Time to execute.

Crowbar

None
If you lose your motivation, start doing 5 or 10k races where you live. The 'scenery' will keep you going back for more.

Lawman

None
Crowbar said:
If you lose your motivation, start doing 5 or 10k races where you live. The 'scenery' will keep you going back for more.

One of the women from my candidate pool was some of the nicest scenery at runs like that. Problem was she was so god forsaken fast that if you didnt run an 18 minute 3 mile you'd never see her from anything but a distance.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
jbright--I PMed you with some info. Also, you could try finding a running club in your area. Pensacola has a great running club at McGuires and they really do provide some great motivation.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
A good way to start liking to run is to run with people who love it. For me, in HS I hated to run. I was a swimmer since the day I was born. So to get some prep for lacrosse season, I joined my high school cross country team, my 3rd in the State (PA) high school cross country team. I was terrible at first, running at like a 26 min course time (5k), but by running everyday with those guys who run 14:00 course times like it was a walk in the park, got my time down to 19:00, but more importantly, really got me into the sport of running.

In college I joined a bar-runners club. We'd run for like 3 miles or so, to a bar, have a bunch of drinks, then run back. The motivation to make the first part is amazing, and the motovation to make it back without puking is to not look like a pussy. Amazing time. I've heard that McGuires running club in P'cola is similar, but I haven't joined yet for some reason.

Another tip that worked for me, don't just "go out running", you'll never talk yourself into getting off your arse. Challenge yourself. Make every run special or set a goal for every workout, no matter how ridiculous it sounds. Like, if your going to run 2 miles, say you'll run the second mile in 7 minutes. By default you finish the first mile, even if you don't make your 7 min second mile, you still did a workout.

Also, if your looking for faster gains in speed and endurance, try Fartlek running, also known as interval training. For example, run at a slow easy pace for 2 minutes, then run quickly (just shy of a sprint) for at least a minute. Then 2 minutes slow and easy, 1 min near sprint, repeat. You'll see faster gains in overall aerobic fitness, and can easily break the monotmy of a boring run. Try different intervals for a different workout every time. You really can't go wrong.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Warning: Minor threadjack:

BurghGuy--you should try the McGuire's club. It's a good time, though we save our drinking for the end of the run... and you get half price pitchers. Not a bad deal at all. I'm kinda missing it, actually, since I broke my leg the day after I got my shirt at McGuires.

Bevo16

pilot
I would focus on dropping the 25 pounds first. If you try to take all that extra weight on long runs, you are going to hurt yourself. Stick to low impact cardio until you slim up, then the running will not hurt so much.

If you want goals other than being a Marine, try the fact that chicks don't dig fat dudes. Marines are usually stationed near water, it would be nice to be able to take your shirt off at the beach and not look like a taste-tester for Krispy Kream.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
Good call Bevo, I didn't even take that into account. Try swimming some too at first. It will help trim you down and build up your cardio without putting too much stress on your body.

Also, I think I'll swing by for the run at mcguires this tuesday.

ip568

None
You don't. Ever. AOCS, O-Course, C-Course, semi-annual PFT for 21 years ... running has always sucked. Running has always been misery; painful, panting, knee-jarring, side-aching, snot running down your face misery. You do it because you want to become and stay Naval Air. There's a price to be paid for that which is of great worth.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ip568 said:
You don't. Ever. AOCS, O-Course, C-Course, semi-annual PFT for 21 years ... running has always sucked. Running has always been misery; painful, panting, knee-jarring, side-aching, snot running down your face misery. You do it because you want to become and stay Naval Air. There's a price to be paid for that which is of great worth.
Umm, I do. I typically belt out 15 or so miles a week - have since my late teens. Once you get into the habit, it just becomes part of your lifestyle. I look forward to it as a welcome diversion from my otherwise busy life. It's my time to put on some cool tunes, get out in nature and reflect on life, or drift off, or even check out the eye candy on the beach. I know it can be rough starting a program, especially if you're out of shape, but once you get into it, the rewards are amazing. There has been some great positive advice on this thread, but I think the biggest thing people get hung up on is the mental aspect. You don't have to be thinking about running while you're actually running. Get your mind focused on other stuff.

Like Jake says: Don't quit!

Brett

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Before I joined up, I used to weigh close to 3 bills. Running really was hard. I could barely get the energy or will to run a mile. Eventually, I got myself down to a sfelt 200 pounds. My trick? I set distance goals. Obviously, you are not going to be a marathoner straight out of the gate. Set a goal and then slowly increase it. For me, I would add maybe an extra block or two every week. That eventually turned into an extra half mile or so every two to three weeks. After 2 years of that, I can now run 6-10 miles with no problems. Also, my PRT run which started at a near 17 minutes is down to 10 mins flat. Set REALISTIC goals. Also, grab an ipod or headphones with some good tunes. That, and running in different places will get you going. To this day, I can't just get on a treadmill. It's too boring. I like scenery. Good luck. Trust me, it will all be worth it when you strap in for the first time and go flying. It's awesome.

jbright44

goplay234 said:
Before I joined up, I used to weigh close to 3 bills. Running really was hard. I could barely get the energy or will to run a mile. Eventually, I got myself down to a sfelt 200 pounds. My trick? I set distance goals. Obviously, you are not going to be a marathoner straight out of the gate. Set a goal and then slowly increase it. For me, I would add maybe an extra block or two every week. That eventually turned into an extra half mile or so every two to three weeks. After 2 years of that, I can now run 6-10 miles with no problems. Also, my PRT run which started at a near 17 minutes is down to 10 mins flat. Set REALISTIC goals. Also, grab an ipod or headphones with some good tunes. That, and running in different places will get you going. To this day, I can't just get on a treadmill. It's too boring. I like scenery. Good luck. Trust me, it will all be worth it when you strap in for the first time and go flying. It's awesome.

That's the kind of inspiration I'm looking for right there. Thanks for that. It's good to know that I'm nut just up against a bunch of college track athletes. It's good to know someone else has come from where I'm at.