• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How competitive?

batesdl

Hey everyone... I have heard a lot about how competitive it is to get into OCS, so I was just curious to see how competitive you all think I will be...

-I am a senior at a public university (graduating in may with a B.S.)
- 2.96 GPA/History major and legal studies minor
- No criminal record, i have one traffic ticket for running a red light and a misdemeanor for hosting a nuisance party.
- I took the LSAT and have been accepted to a few law schools
- Worked all four years of college, I am currently employed at a local hospital in the registration department
-E-board member of Phi Alpha Delta Pre Law fraternity
-Founding father of Kappa Sigma at my university (I helped establish the fraternity on campus)
-Youth Head soccer coach
-Internship at county prosecutors office
-Volunteered and fundraised money for special olympics and relay for life
-In high school i played 3 varsity sports

So far I have filled out my application and received four LOR's... one from a former boss, one from my high school varsity basketball coach, one from the U.S. District Attorney, and one from a professor. I am taking the ASTB soon and am in good enough shape where I should do fine on the PT.

On my application I listed Pilot,NFO, and SWO as my top 3 choices.... Do you think I am qualified for these or would i fit in to something else better?

Any suggestions, tips, thoughts would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

I would have to say that you would have a good shot with strong ASTB scores. The rest of your credentials looks good. STUDY STUDY STUDY!

Dan

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why not finish up law school, have the Navy pay for it (I am assuming there is a JAG officer program) and go in as a JAG? You obviously wanted to go down the lawyer path, what has recently changed your mind?

There are no programs that pay money to law school students to become JAGs. If you want a good deal trip to law school apply for the Law Education Program (I think that is still what they call it) from active duty. Take a commission in any designator then after your first operational tour, if accepted, you go to law school on active duty. After passing the bar you get a change of designator to JAG. The program is very hard to get. They take only a dozen or so a year. If you want to be a JAG and leverage your active duty experience, get out, retain your commission and take a do nothing job in the reserves. Go to law school on your GI Bill. Then on graduation apply to the reserves for a change of designator to JAG and/or request recall to active duty.

m26

Contributor
There are no programs that pay money to law school students to become JAGs. If you want a good deal trip to law school apply for the Law Education Program (I think that is still what they call it) from active duty. Take a commission in any designator then after your first operational tour, if accepted, you go to law school on active duty. After passing the bar you get a change of designator to JAG. The program is very hard to get. They take only a dozen or so a year. If you want to be a JAG and leverage your active duty experience, get out, retain your commission and take a do nothing job in the reserves. Go to law school on your GI Bill. Then on graduation apply to the reserves for a change of designator to JAG and/or request recall to active duty.

That is still what they're calling it. According to the JAG recruiting website, they take about 7 per year :eek:. They are authorized to take up to 25. I am under the impression that it is very difficult to get into if you are not accepted to law schools of the UVA, Duke, Yale variety.

See:
http://www.jag.navy.mil/documents/Careers/1520_7f.pdf

There are good JAG student programs.

Air Force pays law students:
http://www.jagusaf.hq.af.mil/EDprgrms/glp.htm

Marine Corps commissions law schools students into the inactive reserves (no pay, but time in service for promotions):
http://www.nycmarineofficer.com/files/jaginfoPDF.pdf

Navy program is similar for law students:
http://www.jag.navy.mil/careers/careers/opportunities_sp.html