• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How basic are

new user

the math questions? I mean, I've looked through the ARCO books and they seem pretty basic. But then going through some GRE/GMAT questions like,

"The radius of a circle is the same length as the side of a square. What is the ratio of the circumference of the circle to the perimeter of the square?"

has me a little worried. Yeah, I can probably figure it out with a lot of time and practice, but I'm taking it in a few weeks and don't have the time. UGH.

So I'm just wondering how basic the algebra (which I've found that I'm decent at) and the geometry are.

And....I'm excited to be taking it for the first time....and hopefully, the only time.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
That GRE/GMAT question you mentioned seems a little more advanced than most of the questions on the ASTB (well maybe just more time consuming). That being said it can't hurt to study up to be able to do questions of this caliber. The biggest thing for the math questions is just time. They are pretty simple but you need to be able to go through them pretty quickly. Think SAT level of difficulty.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, they aren't hard per say, just time limited. They can be a little tricky though so read carefully. 2nd the SAT comment. Also, the ARCO books help a lot. I'd like to say my grades were all me, but the book sure helped.

FUPaladin

couldabeen
Unless I'm reading that wrong, it doesn't sound too hard to me. The circumference of the circle is 2πr and the perimeter of the square is 4r. Simplified, that would be a ratio of π:2.

new user

Well, it isn't superhard, but it is a little more complex than I'm used to and for me, it takes a lot of time to do. I was a history/philosophy major with an emphasis on the Middle East (history) and deontology (philosophy). I wasn't a math guy.

Anyone have Danica McKellar's number? Not only was she my dream girl Winnie Cooper, but she also is a math wiz.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Stick with the Arco for the ASTB and use the GRE to increase your skills.

FUPaladin

couldabeen
I was a history major too, so for the ASTB I had to remember back to high school, because I certainly didn't use much algebra or geometry in college. It will all come back to you the more practice problems you do. Definitely make sure that you can quickly recall all your basic formulas for area, volume, etc., because you don't want to waste time trying to remember them on the test.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Stick with the Arco for the ASTB and use the GRE to increase your skills.

I'd say stick to the Arco book and whatever gouge is provided here on AW or navygougle.com/marinegouge.com. I got to check out the GRE prep book and most of the questions didnt match up with ASTB-type Q's.

Overall: study the books which directly help you with the test.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
when I took it (YEARS ago) I seem to remember there being some real basic trig. (SIN 90 = 1, etc..). So study up on the type of trig rules you dont need a calculator for.

I took it back when the test was slightly different, but the only section i remember feeling really crunched for time on was the SA.

Good luck!

new user

Thanks guys. I have the ARCO books...in fact, the GRE/GMAT study book I'm using is an ARCO book. There were some great tips in there and soem good formulas that I've used for some of the distance questions. It was just a lot harder than the ARCO Military Officer's exams....or more complex, not necessarily harder.

Stretch32

If you can still find them and have the time the original ACT (ACT Ver1?) math study books are nearly identical to the types of questions I saw on the ASTB. There is a new version of the ACT now thats look more like the SAT so these book weren't much help to me. Look around the internet and see if you can't find a few of these older books. I used '98 and 2000 ACT study books and did pretty well. The questions on the test are actually easier than the ARCO stuff. Due to time constraints you won't have a chance to figure a question that stumps you without risking running out of time so practice as many different problems as you can find.

Stretch

nicknight

I used an SAT computer program that gave me all kinds of tutorials and tests on math and verbal skills... It really helped me on the test! I think it was made by Kaplan called "Higher Scores" The program I used was focused on the old version of the SAT so it was just basic math and verbal Im not sure what a more recent version would test but idk Just giving my 2 cents I sweated about the Math part too but when I went there it was pretty simple physics and math just know the basics