• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How badly does an arrest hurt an applicant?

BPeterson93

Soon to be Naval Aviator
Public Intoxication in Texas, at an airport. Wasn't belligerent, cooperated fully, was arrested after field sobriety test and held for about 7 hours until I reached sobriety.

Pled nolo contendere to the charges because I couldn't appear in court on the date given (I live in Florida).

How much damage does it do to a SNA or NFO package?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
How badly does it hurt? Did they use batons or tazers? I would suspect those would "hurt."

On a serious note, and NavyOffRec can speak better to this, I have to think that it's not good. Think about how many other applicants you're competing against DON'T have an arrest on their records. I'm not saying this to imply you're a bad person for getting drunk at an airport, but think about it from the guy's perspective who is sifting through pile of applications for a limited number of spots.

BPeterson93

Soon to be Naval Aviator
How badly does it hurt? Did they use batons or tazers? I would suspect those would "hurt."

On a serious note, and NavyOffRec can speak better to this, I have to think that it's not good. Think about how many other applicants you're competing against DON'T have an arrest on their records. I'm not saying this to imply you're a bad person for getting drunk at an airport, but think about it from the guy's perspective who is sifting through pile of applications for a limited number of spots.

Yeah that's my perspective this entire time. I know my application is very well competitive. Tons of leadership, good grades, degrees that align (in some capacity) to STEM, LORs on point, competitive ASTB.

But that one detail is what keeps me from feeling like I've got it in the bag.

BPeterson93

Soon to be Naval Aviator
The thing was, I was skyping buddies from back home, and the bartender must have said something because he noticed how much I was drinking. Not that I was being a problem for the crowd or establishment.

Texas' public intoxication arrests are some of the highest per capita due to a lax assessment of what makes an arrest possible. I make no excuse, I was definitely drunk and well so, but I didn't expect to be picked up for just being drunk. I'd have assumed it would have to be when acting a fool or being a hazard.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
According to what @NavyOffRec and @RUFiO181 have said in the past, past arrests are viewed through the lens of your ASTB scores. An arrest of any kind doesn't look good but high scores (8s and 9s) can make up for it.

I'm not an OR and I did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night, but if you're just about ready to submit and can make the 01-Dec board you might as well try with your current scores. Worst thing that can happen is they say no and you retake the ASTB and resubmit.

BPeterson93

Soon to be Naval Aviator
According to what @NavyOffRec and @RUFiO181 have said in the past, past arrests are viewed through the lens of your ASTB scores. An arrest of any kind doesn't look good but high scores (8s and 9s) can make up for it.

I'm not an OR and I did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night, but if you're just about ready to submit and can make the 01-Dec board you might as well try with your current scores. Worst thing that can happen is they say no and you retake the ASTB and resubmit.
I've submitted for this board so I'll be hearing back soon. Was posting to see what insight there might be from people who got waivers and whatnot. I know it definitely is a hindrance to the application. And it sucks, but I can't do anything about the arrest now. Just gotta put my best foot forward and if that doesn't work then I'm going to get a better foot.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Yeah that's my perspective this entire time. I know my application is very well competitive. Tons of leadership, good grades, degrees that align (in some capacity) to STEM, LORs on point, competitive ASTB.

But that one detail is what keeps me from feeling like I've got it in the bag.

As as aside, please allow me to offer you an unsolicited piece of advice: even if you didn't have the arrest I would be cautious labeling anything with this business as "in the bag," almost or otherwise. Confidence is good, even required; overconfidence can lead to worse problems than you're looking at now.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
The ability to hold one's liquor in public is a gradable item in Naval Aviation. You can still get attrited as an O-5 if you are below MIF.

With that in mind, what is CTS? I would like to believe I am above MIF, but I think we should come up with an MPTS laying this out in detail. I can volunteer my services as guinea pig.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
BPeterson is right - Texas DPS has the strangest, most intensely enforced liquor laws in the country.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Public Intoxication in Texas, at an airport. Wasn't belligerent, cooperated fully, was arrested after field sobriety test and held for about 7 hours until I reached sobriety.

Pled nolo contendere to the charges because I couldn't appear in court on the date given (I live in Florida).

How much damage does it do to a SNA or NFO package?

What did your recruiter say?