• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How are my chances?(Juvy history)

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
GroundStruck said:
Oh, one more thing before I head out for a group study session. Someone mentioned via PMs that volunteer work is helpful. Is this true? I divemaster for free for a local scuba shop since they are nice folks but it isn't exactly volunteer work. Should I start volunteering a few hours a week at a place I use to volunteer? I use to volunteer for a animal rehabilitation center since I got to be around awesome hawks and wild animals but they got a ton of middle and highschool students to do the busy work so I was no longer needed. Should I see if they need me for a few hours a week again? I know this can't be detrimental but will the people who make the selections ever see this and count it as a plus for me?
YES! I would do it for sure. As said anything positive that you do will be put on your app and seen. You might want to think of a few other ways to volunteer too. Even things like AIDS and Diabetes walks/marathons are positive things that show you stay fit year round and help others at the same time.

The board looks at how rounded a person is. All things help but they want you to have it all, so to speak. I did things that I didn't even think were mentionable and a talk with my ex's CWO, who wrote me a LOR, told me to mention them. Things like Toys-for-Tots work, Family Day with my ex's old unit, and help with large deployments and TAD's. I was just doing them because I was asked to help and always help the people in my life. He told me to put them down becuase they are great points to show I give my time freely to help others. It was only here or there but still mentionable on top of my other regular volunteer work like church and community things.

For some meaningful volunteer work, check by your local VA hospital...I know ours here in Jackson offers something called the Veteran's History Project, sponsored by the Smithsonian--you go in, sit and talk w/ vets and take down their stories (the VA PR/project coordinator person will give you the details). After you get the stories down, you get it sent in w/ any photos, etc, and it goes toward the project in the Smithsonian. Great program, helps to pass their experiences on to generations way past their own...Check it out if you're interested--www.LOC.gov/vets

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
GroundStruck said:
I've always known I've wanted to serve atleast one contract and now that I'm halfway through with a mechanical engineering degree I've decided I want to shoot to become a aviator.

GroundStruck said:
Right now I'm a 1st-semester sophomore.

These two statements conflict...where are you in your academic studies? That said, you can argue how much weight the GPA carries in your application, but look, a high GPA isn't going to hurt you, so do your best.

Sounds like you're trying for Marines, have you thought about the PLC program (given that you have enough summers left).

We've all done some stupid sh!t as minors, it just sounds like you were unfortunate enough to get caught. Best of luck in the application process.

GroundStruck

Thisguy said:
These two statements conflict...where are you in your academic studies? That said, you can argue how much weight the GPA carries in your application, but look, a high GPA isn't going to hurt you, so do your best.

Sounds like you're trying for Marines, have you thought about the PLC program (given that you have enough summers left).

We've all done some stupid sh!t as minors, it just sounds like you were unfortunate enough to get caught. Best of luck in the application process.

I'm not on track with most of the people I graduated high school with. I'm in my first semester of my sophomore year. I'm not completely halfway through. After this summer, I will be transferring(already accepted) into another college where I will be caught up and completing my engineering courses. I'm nearing the end of my 3rd full semester, which makes me a sophomore. Does this still sound better in my head still or did I get what I'm trying to say across?

Marines are what I'm trying to get into. PLC is what I intend on doing. I hope to do the 10-week course between my junior and senior year. Am I confusing some parts of PLC with OCS(OCC? What is the Marines course called?) Do PLC students go through the same selection process that potential OCS students that have already graduated college go through? I have atleast 1 summer between semesters left and I don't mind taking classes that wouldn't apply to my degree if I need to. I love history but I've already filled my requirements for it and any more would just be a GPA booster/time filler.

I didn't speak with the OSO for all that long...after he told me I need to get a copy of my court papers, I felt like I was wasting his time if my criminal history may turn out to be a instant disqualification. I may be able to get my court copies tomorrow so I may make the ride out to speak with him Wednesday, if I have time.

GroundStruck

BrandonJ1780 said:
For some meaningful volunteer work, check by your local VA hospital...I know ours here in Jackson offers something called the Veteran's History Project, sponsored by the Smithsonian--you go in, sit and talk w/ vets and take down their stories (the VA PR/project coordinator person will give you the details). After you get the stories down, you get it sent in w/ any photos, etc, and it goes toward the project in the Smithsonian. Great program, helps to pass their experiences on to generations way past their own...Check it out if you're interested--www.LOC.gov/vets

This sounds like a great program. I'd have to think about if I would want to participate in it though. My grandfather served in the Navy but he never served during wartime. He tells me a lot of funny stories and I don't want him to feel they have less of a meaning to me or his service was less important. I'm going to call up the place where I use to volunteer and see if they can put me to work for a few hours on Friday and Saturday afternoons.

batman527

Banned
HOORAH said:
Sure C's get degrees but for example I don't want a C surgeon cutting me open. Just some food for thought. :D

C's get degrees, but in all likelyhood, C's don't get medical school.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
GroundStruck said:
Marines are what I'm trying to get into. PLC is what I intend on doing. I hope to do the 10-week course between my junior and senior year. Am I confusing some parts of PLC with OCS(OCC? What is the Marines course called?) Do PLC students go through the same selection process that potential OCS students that have already graduated college go through?

There are three ways that you can go to OCS with the Marine Corps. 2 versions of PLC - 6 weeks one year, then 6 more later on - or 10 weeks PLC "combined". You do this one if you only have one summer left. The OCC is the third way. That is also 10 weeks long same as PLC combined, but this is for someone who has already received his degree. You will graduate OCC and commission there at the end. With the 2 PLC programs, you will graduate them, but will not commission until you get back home and finish college up. So to clear it up, any one of these three programs can be referred to as "OCS".

As for the process, it is the same for the most part. I believe that if you are going to OCC, you have to do certain things like the EPSQ and whatnot, but if you do PLC, you do them at a later time. But as far as the application process goes, you still need to take all the tests, exams, PFT, etc.

GroundStruck

Slammer2 said:
There are three ways that you can go to OCS with the Marine Corps. 2 versions of PLC - 6 weeks one year, then 6 more later on - or 10 weeks PLC "combined". You do this one if you only have one summer left. The OCC is the third way. That is also 10 weeks long same as PLC combined, but this is for someone who has already received his degree. You will graduate OCC and commission there at the end. With the 2 PLC programs, you will graduate them, but will not commission until you get back home and finish college up. So to clear it up, any one of these three programs can be referred to as "OCS".

As for the process, it is the same for the most part. I believe that if you are going to OCC, you have to do certain things like the EPSQ and whatnot, but if you do PLC, you do them at a later time. But as far as the application process goes, you still need to take all the tests, exams, PFT, etc.

I know that each path into comission will have the same requirements and minimums but is one way or the other less competitive? Say two potential aviators graduate with the same degree from the same college, with 100% identical credentials. One chooses the PLC route and one chooses the OCC route, will either candidate have a easier time making his way into a cockpit?

I have a presentation first thing in the morning so I'm headed to bed at the moment but I think I'll have some more questions tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. After hearing a few peoples experiences in this thread and in PM I feel I have a chance and thus have the motivation to continue busting my ass, both academically and physically.

Lawman

None
GroundStruck said:
Say two potential aviators graduate with the same degree from the same college, with 100% identical credentials. One chooses the PLC route and one chooses the OCC route, will either candidate have a easier time making his way into a cockpit?.

No, because they will both have to go the OCC option as college graduates and will both be going after air slots from the same pool of available slots. PLC is for people who wont have graduated for when they go to their summer training. OCC'ers can go whenever since they have already graduated or will have graduated by the time they can get through boards and everything else and be on their way to OCS.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
GroundStruck said:
I know that each path into comission will have the same requirements and minimums but is one way or the other less competitive? Say two potential aviators graduate with the same degree from the same college, with 100% identical credentials. One chooses the PLC route and one chooses the OCC route, will either candidate have a easier time making his way into a cockpit?

I have a presentation first thing in the morning so I'm headed to bed at the moment but I think I'll have some more questions tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. After hearing a few peoples experiences in this thread and in PM I feel I have a chance and thus have the motivation to continue busting my ass, both academically and physically.

Ok I see what you're asking. I think that the only difference is when you would class up for TBS. I believe that the academy guys get to fill up the classes first and the PLC guys last. This was explained to me a long time ago when I first started the application process and was a bit overwhelmed by all the new info so I may not remember correctly. But which route you take through OCS should not have any effect on your shot at flight school. Either way, you will be comissioned and begin your training.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I believe what you are asking is PLC or OCC more competitive? From what I understand PLC is a little less competitive because they send more people to OCS knowing that a certain number will not return for PLC senior i.e. complete the program. Either way the Marine Corps is more physically oriented so an awesome PFT can make up for other low areas in your package. As I understand it the Navy doesn't even look at your PRT scores until after you have been pro-reced for most communities. Can anyone confirm this?

ip568

None
The Naval Service has great respect for persistence. Don't take no for an answer. I had to apply three times before I got a vision waiver. Finally, the doctor wrote "Motivation +++++++++++++++++" on my physical exam form (I still have a copy of it). Four months later I got the waiver.

GroundStruck

ip568 said:
The Naval Service has great respect for persistence. Don't take no for an answer. I had to apply three times before I got a vision waiver. Finally, the doctor wrote "Motivation +++++++++++++++++" on my physical exam form (I still have a copy of it). Four months later I got the waiver.

I've had this question for a while but I guess it was never on my mind when I had the chance to ask it. Before I really discovered places to find answers to my aviation/ocs questions I assumed it was a one shot chance to get any waiver needed to get into ocs or flight school. How many times can a waiver be submitted if it continues to get turned down? How many times can a application be submitted to try to lock down a ocs guaranteed aviation slot? Once I've filled out all the paperwork needed, will I need to go through my OSO each time I try for a waiver or send in a application?

Also, how do they choose who gets vision waivers and who doesn't? If surgery goes well and you are 20/20 or atleast 20/40 wouldn't your prior condition be irrelevant?