• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Housing for NAS Whiting

KBayDog

Circle K said:
Must've missed that part in the move in packet...

Move to Whiting Pines... post on AW... have party thrown...

Yeah, same here. Apparently it's in the middle somewhere. My neighbors didn't get that memo; in fact, every house around me emptied within a month after my arrival. (Something about "winging" and they had to leave.) In any event, they left, new ones moved in, and peace has been restored to the galaxy.

As for me, "I moved to Whiting Pines, and all I got was Rare21's Lucky Bamboo."

If you feel bad, we'll throw a party for you, too. (I don't know who "we" are, but "we'll" make it happen.)

KimberlyD

We're kinda in... Where's the Party? Our stuff should be here by the 30th but our cats have moved in & made the place home!

hm2anderson

EP-3 NFO
All this by far one of the best threads found on here, it has relieved some of my biggest concerns as I anticipate my next PCS to API. But, I have some follow-up questions...

1) Is it "do-able" to live in WP during API? I heard married SNA's get orders to Primary @ Whiting and are TAD back to API first. I don't want to move the wife and kid twice! I also heard they will give you a barracks room @ API even if you have family in housing @ Whiting.

2) Am i eligible for a 3 bedroom @ WP? I'm an 01-E (over 10) w/ 1 child. As some have mentioned it would be nice to have that extra room to study in...

3) Where is the CDC (child development center) located? NASP or NASWF or both? Likewise any issues with CDC there i.e. wait time/pricing. I really hope we find daycare in the neighborhood as my wife won't be working but attending school about 15 hrs/wk. We've never had to put our child in CDC before and are nervous. We've heard great stories and horror stories.

4) Is there a community/junior college around Whiting? We plan on starting the wife in school to get her R.N. all prereq's are complete.

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
hm2anderson,

I can't help you with #1, but I'll try to help you with the rest. We've heard that the magic number for qualifying for a 3 bedroom with 1 child is over 7 years and even then, it depends on what they have open. Housing seems to have a lot of availability right now. You should call them... their # is 850-623-9726, they are open from 0730-1600 (not sure about weekend hours) email whiting_field@housing.navy.mil. If you want to look at the housing floorplans or see some pictures, go to https://www.housing.navy.mil/onestop/main.htm and look up Whiting Field NAS.

As for CDC, I know there is one at Whiting Field (just past the front gate to the left)... here is their info: http://www.naspensacola.navy.mil/mwr/whiting/cdc.htm Hours: Mon-Fri 0600-1800, phone # 623-7472. I found this info for NAS Pensacola Child Development Center: Phone: 850-452-6568/6806/6310.

My husband and I live in Whiting Pines and really like it here. The housing is a little small, but we're happy with it. We see ads by the mailboxes a lot for childcare. It seems like quite a few wives in the neighborhood watch children for a great price, so that might be worth checking out if you end up living here. I have a friend that watches one child during the week and she's amazing. She has a developmental psychology degree and is great with kids. If you'd like her info, let me know.

There are several colleges in the area, but the one closest to Whiting is Pensacola Junior College, located off of Hwy 90 & Avalon. They offer a RN-AS (Associate's degree in nursing). Here is a link to that program: http://www.pjc.edu/students/programs/prog_builder.asp?CATYRBOX=2006&MAJBOX=RN-AS&deptID=6745 or you can just go to http://www.pjc.edu and browse around. The University of West Florida has some locations in the Pensacola area. They have a location right next to the PJC location I listed above in Milton, but from my understanding, it's a horticultural branch and that's it. But if your wife is willing to go to Pensacola for classes and wants a BSN (bachelor's degree in nursing), The University of West Florida has a great nursing program. Here is their website: http://uwf.edu/nursing/

I'm currently completing my Bachelor's degree in nursing remote from Texas A&M University. Basically, I take my classes via the web and go back to Texas to perform my clinicals. This works well for me since we're constantly moving. I'd advise your wife to pay close attention to the pre-reqs for each school's nursing programs. One thing I've discovered is that they're almost all different and don't always transfer easily, especially out-of-state credits.

If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me.

Good luck!

KimberlyD

Okay, revival of an old thread. We moved in WP the 27th of January & moved out the 24th of May (Whiting orders were cancelled, we went to Corpus for Primary). I loved it in WP. I made great friends & had a blast. The house was definitely large enough (261 Doyle) & our neighbors were good. My daughters went to the CDC on Whiting, Mary is the director & she's fair & easy to talk to. I liked her quite a bit, she helped my daughters quite a bit by being understanding that it was hard on them moving & adjusting. Both my husband & I commuted to NASP every day, separately since he had to go in earlier than I did & I dropped the kids off at Whiting before going out to NASP, I also left later than he did. His commute wasn't bad at all, mine was a little harder since I traveled at peak traffic times but still not bad, I listened to a couple books on tape & it passed quickly. We loved our weekends there, Friday afternoons started w/ a party & on weekends, we usually rented a boat fr MWR & went out on the river. It was easy for my husband to study since the kids & I could take off for the park & have a blast for hours on end.