• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Housing for NAS Whiting

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
This is mainly for the married guys coming out to Whiting for either primary or advanced Helos. Some of the things I've noticed about living out here.

Base Housing (actually located off-base, but easy 15 minute drive).
Pros:
Nice community
You're always surrounded by fellow flight students
The maintenance does a great job anytime you need them
No utility bills
Playground inside the complex
Easy access to cable, high-speed internet, etc.
Very pet-friendly

Cons:
The housing office - generally very nice, but if you call before 0800 or after 1515 most days, you will get a pre-recorded message telling you that the office is closed and that you should call back between 0700 and 1600 during regular business hours.
The rules are inconsistently enforced, at best.
Thin walls - You will know when your neighbors get up in the morning, and pray that they don't have a dog.
The pool - normally this would be a pro, but here the pool is open Memorial day to when school starts. The hours are 1000 to 1400, then 1500 to 1800. All swimmers are required to get out of the pool (even the 6" deep kiddie pool) for 15 minutes of every hour for "lifeguard break" (regardless of the number of lifeguards on duty). They also do not allow children to wear "water-wings"
Small units - the 2 bedroom unit (which is what you will get if you have 0 or 1 children) is less than 900 square feet. It actually isn't bad if you don't have any kids, because the spare bedroom can become an office, but if you have one child, forget it. Most of the 2 bedrooms are also completely uncarpeted.
Price - I know, you won't pay rent or utilities when living in base housing, but you will be forfeiting your BAH. In 2006 that means that you will be paying $1040 (O-1) or $1150 (O-2) for an 800+ sq. foot uncarpeted 2 bedroom duplex. For comparison, realize that the E-5 with 3 kids down the street is paying $1026 for his carpeted 4 bedroom with attached garage and screened porch. A 3 bedroom apartment at Governor's Gate in P'Cola (the nicest complex in town) will rent for between $1005 and $1110. Granted, that doesn't include utilities.

Living in Pensacola -
Pros:
Several nice apartment complexes to choose from
Near stores and malls
API is a shorter commute
Cons:
The drive - even if you live in eastern P'Cola you're looking at 45+ minutes to get to work everyday (in good traffic). So if you have a 0530 brief, you will have to leave your apartment by 0430 to give yourself enough time.

Living in Milton/Pace -
Pros:
Near the base
Some decent neighborhoods
Rental houses usually available
Cons:
Not near anything but the base (restaurants, malls, etc.)
Usual rental problems

Obviously, I live in housing and honestly have been fairly happy about it until I saw what BAH was going up to next year. I don't think the house we have is worth paying that much for. If I wasn't so close to being done I'd consider moving. I think now you can do better living on the economy. Just research before you do anything.

KimberlyD

My husband e-mailed me this so obviously he thinks it's important...

The 45+ minute commute, is it worth it? We're looking to buy in Pensacola or Cantonment & rent the house when we leave, we can buy some pretty spectacular homes on O1E w/ dep so obviously, it makes sense to buy but I have mapped all the addresses we like to the bases & in some cases it's 20 miles but 45 minutes! How does that work? Is traffic really bad there? We're coming fr Hampton Roads, have any advice on how it compares traffic wise? Thanks!

Crowbar

None
KimberlyD said:
We're looking to buy in Pensacola or Cantonment

We thought about buying in Cantonment. Turns out there is a paper mill in town (International Paper Company). Maybe you've lived somewhere with a paper mill, if not, do yourself a favor and visit first to check out the smell.

KimberlyD

Oh yuck, I remember summers in Charleston w/ the smell of the paper mill overpowering everything! Thanks for the heads up!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Cantonement is a pretty good hump. Being single, I wanted to live in P'cola and be closer to civilization, or what there is in P'cola. However, after Ivan and the I-10 bridge getting knocked down, traffic on Hwy 90 (primary means to at least start towards Whiting) is horrendous. So, I decided in the end, to live in Pace and shave an extra 10-15 minutes off the daily morning commute. From Pace, it's about 25-30 minutes in the morning and afternoon during traffic hours. Once the general group of idiots gets off the road after about 8:30, the trip speeds up by 5-10 minutes.

And as a comparison, as a student, I lived by the University and it took 35 minutes to get to Whiting. Now, that trip would take at least 40-45 minutes.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Because you don't pay rent, just utilities like phone or expanded cable.

VAmookie

Sly1978 said:
Most of the 2 bedrooms are also completely uncarpeted.
Price - I know, you won't pay rent or utilities when living in base housing, but you will be forfeiting your BAH. In 2006 that means that you will be paying $1040 (O-1) or $1150 (O-2) for an 800+ sq. foot uncarpeted 2 bedroom duplex. For comparison, realize that the E-5 with 3 kids down the street is paying $1026 for his carpeted 4 bedroom with attached garage and screened porch. A 3 bedroom apartment at Governor's Gate in P'Cola (the nicest complex in town) will rent for between $1005 and $1110. Granted, that doesn't include utilities.

Is he not saying that there is a rent cost associated with base housing? Or is he just saying the opporunity cost of base housing is that you dont get your BAH which is $1040 or $1150 in that area??

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
If you live in base housing you don't pay rent and you don't get BAH.

For those of you not interested/financially ready to buy a house, housing isn't a bad deal. We lived in housing at 4 different bases in the last 3 years and we just bought our first house this past Aug. Now I'm kicking myself for not buying at least another one at the past duty stations. Housing can be a pain in the butt. That being said, if you aren't buying, housing is definitely better than dealing with first/last months rent, deposits, utilities etc. Having pets makes finding a rental very interesting and all housing requires is that you have a max of 2 pets and they are up to date on shots.

Out of the 4 bases we were in housing, Milton was by FAR the friendliest and Corpus was about as unfriendly as you can get.

The way I see it, why give the Gov't your BAH (or a landlord) when you can use it to build equity

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
I will agree with E5B on the issue of pets. If you have pets (especially big dogs) housing is a very nice option. The other advantage I forgot to mention about housing (that he expressed) is that you don't have to worry about leases or deposits or any of that. You are in housing for as long as your orders keep you at Whiting. When you're done, you clean up the place and leave. That is nice. Like I said before, when I moved in in 2004, it was great. At that time BAH was $774 and trying to get a decent place in town for that was nearly impossible. However, now that the BAH has increased so dramatically, I don't think that it is worth it anymore.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I was stupid not to buy a house earlier, even when I wasn't married. It's better than sinking your money down a hole. Get a few housemates, and you've already cleared your mortgage.

KimberlyD

Okay so new question-I've found what I think is my perfect house, 4 BR/3 BA on 1/2 acre w/ 2 car detached garage, definitely affordable BUT it's 35 minutes fr NASP & 35 minutes fr Whiting (according to Mapquest). My husband insists that he's okay w/ the drive, he wants a nice house more. Is 35 minutes the norm there? Is that pretty much the price we pay to be near civilization? We're going down to Florida next Friday for 8 days of househunting but I think this might be the house so I want some input on the commute mostly so we're prepared. BTW-thanks again to the guy who mentioned the paper mill, that helped us rule out ab 5 houses!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
35 minutes is not a horrible commute by most standards. You can't have your cake and eat it too, as far as being able to be close to Whiting and Pensacola. I recommend being close to Whiting, because most SNA's will spend most of their time there. Besides, I have a 3BR, 2BA I'm tryig to sell in Milton!:eyebrows_

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
KimberlyD:

As phrog is saying, that's an average comute time to be near both. One thing to look at when you come down to visit will be where the house is in relation to Davis Hwy/I-10/I-110. Mapquest may say 35 minutes to NASP, and that might include the new traffic situation, but the few times I had to drive down to NASP (in Oct.), I would get hung up at Davis/I-10 for at least 10-15 minutes. After that, it moves, which may end up taking 35 minutes. If it's only a couple of months commute, it might not be that bad, and I'd probably live w/ it. But those couple of days driving down there (for various classes at the time) I think my blood pressure went through the roof.

In the end, though, it almost doesn't matter. Pensacola and traffic management just don't go together. ;)