• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Sometimes military equipment ends up having to be used in roles it wasn't originally designed for because the assumption that it would never be put into such conditions was wrong. For example, the Abrams battle tank lacking the ability to fire the machine gun from inside of the tank, because it was assumed the tank would never end up in such a situation, then Iraq.

There was also that instance a couple of decades ago where a group of Apache helicopters got shot up heavily because someone messed up somewhere.

And of course also the "Blackhawk Down" disaster.

You're talking about this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_attack_on_Karbala

BT BT

I just worry about a screen shitting itself and that being a single failure mode. I'm sure Bell's engineers are thinking about it though.

Meyerkord

pilot
Looks to be quite the upgrade for the rotary wing world: replacing the 701 engine with the newly developing 901. The Army release says a 1,000 HP increase ?

This would a nice upgrade for the 60R. She’s a chunky girl.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
This would a nice upgrade for the 60R. She’s a chunky girl.
Except when the gas bill comes due. While I'm sure the rated sspecific fuel consumption of a new engine is better than a T700, engines generally burn more when running off design point (low-to-mid power). It's why we talk singling up for max range.

So, yeah, it might get a Romeo off the CVN and let Sierras land in all those stupid high LZs they've been balling it up in recently, but the fuel burn would increase, possibly to the point of notably less range in normal ops on normal days.

Also remember how often we're torque-limited, which is a transmission function, not helped by bigger engines.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
You're talking about this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_attack_on_Karbala

BT BT

I just worry about a screen shitting itself and that being a single failure mode. I'm sure Bell's engineers are thinking about it though.
Neither aircraft’s screens will be as big as the concept art. Think of those as priming the idea factory for future capabilities.

MILSPECs and military airworthiness standards are still in effect. They’ll be bigger than what most Navy/MC are used to, but will still be a screen with bezel keys around it.

Redundant modes are still required—touch screens will require bezels and/or track handles as backups for the foreseeable future.

And IFR capable aircraft will still always have standby flight displays on a separate bus.

Llarry

Would an MH-60R/S with T706 (2600 shp) or T901 (3000 shp) engines have the potential to extend the lives of the present H-60s significantly? It seems to me that one basic problem is that the DDG's hangars are sized for the H-60 and any alternative is unlikely to fit. Not to mention CVN spotting factor.

I did a quick look at the dimensions of the Sikorsky S-92 -- an MH-92 if you will -- and it is too long when folded for the USN's current hangars.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Would an MH-60R/S with T706 (2600 shp) or T901 (3000 shp) engines have the potential to extend the lives of the present H-60s significantly? It seems to me that one basic problem is that the DDG's hangars are sized for the H-60 and any alternative is unlikely to fit. Not to mention CVN spotting factor.

I did a quick look at the dimensions of the Sikorsky S-92 -- an MH-92 if you will -- and it is too long when folded for the USN's current hangars.
I believe the tail folds as well. The footprint is supposed be smaller than that of the Sea King S-61/H-3.

60fc7b3fd0f6ea3db7e56a23_-Sikorsky-CH-148-Cyclone--RCAF--1-.jpeg

1707766067585.png

Last edited: