• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hospitalization?

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Back when I was filling out the medical form in my Recruiter's Office, ( I forget the term for it) I remember my OR stating something along the lines of "before you put 'Yes' for any question, consult me first". When I got to the question stating something along the lines of "have you been hospitalized?", or" have you ever been admitted to the hospital?", I told him that I did once go the hospital during college. The reason I went to the hospital was because I was sick after having moved into my college dorm, and I was nervous about college starting. The clinic at school gave me some generic medicine (I think I had the flu, I can't really remember), and that night, my heart was beating faster than normal (in hindsight, due to nerves), but I elected for the safety officer to take me to the local hospital to get everything checked out. I was looked at, and got an EKG, and there was nothing wrong with me. I did not stay overnight, and I was back in my room later that night.

Now here's where i'm torn: According to my recruiter and others i've consulted on this matter, going to the hospital, and being "Hospitalized/ Admitted to the Hospital are two different things, and that since I did not stay overnight I was not "admitted" and that I would not need to mention that anywhere.

I really do trust my recruiter, but almost every one of the documents he's had me sign has had some sort of warning about purposely leaving out information. I want to trust his judgment about this (he's a Senior Chief, so i'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about), but then again I do not want anything to be misconstrued as me lying and having anything stand in between me and getting to OCS.

I'm not the kind to hide information, but I also know that giving more info than is necessary can make life harder than it needs to be. I just want some feedback from you all as to how I should proceed.

Thanks!

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
You should be fine. Nothing to worry about with regards to this ER/hospital visit. Be upfront at MEPS and you should be good to go if there were no underlying major medical issues.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Ok, great! Just to clear something up then, does that medical form I signed (with all my initials next to everything), have to match what I say at MEPS? I know I'm going to have to sign that form all over again anyways, due to the fact that I had LASIK recently, but does MEPS "Override" that form? If anybody knows, please let me know!

Thanks again!

exNavyOffRec

I would not count this as hospitalization, realistically it was an after hours doctor appointment, I had a similar thing happened to me, I was sick I went to the branch medical clinic and when they listened to my chest they though they heard something so they hooked me up to a machine, nothing was wrong so I was given meds and sent on my way.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Ok, great! Just to clear something up then, does that medical form I signed (with all my initials next to everything), have to match what I say at MEPS? I know I'm going to have to sign that form all over again anyways, due to the fact that I had LASIK recently, but does MEPS "Override" that form? If anybody knows, please let me know!

Thanks again!

Just to add on, you should be fine. I have also been to the ER and was told the same thing as you were by my recruiter. You were not "hospitalized" or "admitted" just because you went to the hospital.

To address your above post specifically, yes and no. Should everything match? Yes. Will anyone notice if there are minor differences? No. Just answer truthfully and with common sense. Don't overthink it. Navy medical files are so big, you could find a contradiction in probably everyone's record if you looked hard enough.

If anyone ever challenged you on this issue, you would have your recruiter to back you up.