• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hornet VS MiG-29

Status
Not open for further replies.

wali

I am posting this topic at this forum so maybe someone will reply.
I have recently watched the "RED OCTOBER" show on the Discovery Wings Channel. It was about US F/A-18's VS the German MiG-29's.
Is it really true that the Hornet is only a Slow Speed Dogfighter? Also, in one of the figths, a Hornet trying to catch up with a MiG in a vertical climb stalled and went out of control. What is the Thrust to Weight ratio of the Hornet? Another concern is that most American Hornetdrivers were instructor pilots, aren't they suppose to be the best of the best. Then why, in most sorties, they lost to the MiG-29's by either hitting the deck or losing control (Stalling). If the Hornet does have all the issues, are they addressed in the Super Hornet?
Maybe I am asking too much but I just want to know cause I have no clue how either one of the jet really performs in real life.
Thanks and I will appreciate any answers especially from any Hornetdriver.

Edited by - wali on 06/26/2002 16:01:27

wali

quote:
Tomcats would smoke both of them.

I hope you are talking about BVR when the Kitty is using its (non battle-tested) phoenix missles. I,honestly, don't think that a tomcat can take out a Hornet, a MiG-29, or even an F-15 in a closed-end dogfight (given that pilots are equally experienced)

Edited by - wali on 06/26/2002 16:50:09

RC

It takes a lot more maintenance to keep the Tomcat airworthy. The Tomcat is able to reach longer distances, engage multiple targets and destroy them all at the same time.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
How would a T-34 do against them? Damn, still in Primary! Okay nevermind.

Ed Williams

I think the T-34 would have the advantage if it weren't for the anti-camo paint job. Besides, i would love to see a mig or an 18 for that matter land on half a run way without a tail hook! The T-34 has so many up sides.
ed

Status
Not open for further replies.