• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hornet Engagements

Status
Not open for further replies.

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
But the Raptor has air-to-ground capabilities right? You know, this whole thing with the Hornet taking on so many different roles (air-to-air, air-to-ground, electronic warfare, buddy tankers) is kinda funky. Keep one plane to one role, and build off of that. They call it multi-role. I call it craaazzaaay like nuts over-kill.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am pretty sure that Col Rodriguez only has 3 kills, two in the Gulf and one in Kosovo. I don't think any US pilots has got 4 kills since Vietnam, but I am not 100% sure.

I found this page when I did a Google search on aerial kills of the Gulf war.

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/insaloco/airkills2.html

A couple of good ones are the 2 A-10 helo kills and the EF-111 kill. The EF-111 was a manuever or "rocks" kill, the pilot dove down really low to avoid an F-1 and the Iraqi Mirage pilot followed him, but did not pull out in time.

Another pretty good site is this one, though it has a few inaccuracies. It takes at face value many claims that are dubious (Russian ones in Korea for example), but it appears to get the US ones right. It says that Col Rodriguez has 3 instead of 4 kills. It looks like he uses some official lists, he has links to some.

http://users.accesscomm.ca/magnusfamily/airaces1.htm

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
I just ordered "Black Aces High" by the guy who did "Wings of Fury" off of amazon.com. Shibby.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Lowslow,
The F-22 Raptor was origanilly going to be only a Air Supiority fighter, when they realized how much it cost along with the fact that there aren't too many guys out there who can stand up to us in the air now, they put hard points on the wings that allow the 22 to carry bombs. This makes it a multi-mission fighter now. The plan is for it to be able to go in stealth, take out anything in the air, land, refit with armament on the wings, and go back out and take out ground targets.

Ben

airwinger

pilot
Flash,
My bust, I looked further and Airforce.mil has him at 3 kills. I'm going to learn to avoid taking sea stories at face value.

My apologies sir,
airwinger

kevin

my question is how many of those air-air kills in desert storm were actually dogfights? im guessing if most were by f15's that probably none of them were close in engagements.

airwinger

pilot
One of LtCol Rodriguez's kills was a "manuevering kill" he and his wingman pounced on two Mig29's. His wingman killed the first guy pretty quick with an AIM-7. Then they bracketed the second guy his wingman high Rico low. The Mig did a split S from around 10 to 2000 feet but Rico kept in trail. The Mig tried another split S but was too low, hit the ground and morted.

HueyHornet75

pilot
airwinger,
what's with all those neat words you use like "split S", Mig, morted, and 2000 feet?
ha ha ha...have fun in Atlanta, bro
semper-
knuckle-dragging, slow moving, sleep under my TOW rocket-pods, wanna-be COBRA guy

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
The book just arrived today at my doorstep.

I'm already half-way done with it.
bouncy_125.gif

Ray

There is a big picture in the Kingsville ground training building all about the famous engagement between Col Toon, a north vietnamese or chinese pilot and an F-4 pilot (don't remember his name). Its a very interesting read, but I didn't understand it until after I was done with ACM. It seemed like a very long engagement with mulitple merges. All I know is I probably would have lost that fight.

Some planes can go pure nose low and pull out in 2000 feet, but not many. I think maybe a super hornet can since it has no alpha limit, but don't quote me on it. The T-45 sure as hell can't.

Just one more question, does FAC mean Fighter AirCraft? I don't think that question has been answered yet.

Yeah that's what I meant by FAC(lowslow's version).

And I thought it's been decided Colonel Toon/Tomb was a myth? Not to say Cunningham's achievement was any less, but the legendary NV ace story was supposedly entirely fictional.

Status
Not open for further replies.