• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hornet Engagements

Status
Not open for further replies.

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
Has there ever been any air-to-air engagements involving Hornets possibly during the first Iraqi war? Just wonderin'...

Thanks

Alex Fowler

There was some air-to-air combat in the Gulf War and some Allied planes (including CAPT Scott Speicher's I believe) were lost to enemy aircraft fire, none so far that I'm aware of in the war on terror (in either of the major campaigns or smaller actions in the Phillipines, Georgia, and Djibouti). The Ba'athists in Iraq had an air force but its pilots refused to take off (or may have never been ordered to do so in the first place) knowing that they would be shot out of the sky the minute they did so, and the Taliban didn't have an air force at all (a few rickety, 30-year-old Soviet helos I believe and that's about it).

Only a few countries have enough air power to even engage the US Naval aviation/Air Force in the skies (UK, France, Germany, Russia, PRC, ROC, the Koreas, Israel)--by that I mean they would be capable of engaging the US in a fight and one of their planes might possibly manage to shoot down a US aircraft before being itself shot down. And of these, obviously North Korea and China are the only ones there's any chance we'll be at war with anytime soon.

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
Originally posted by version2point0
yeah you really dont hear about air to air combat except for in the movies nowadays. does it still happen?

-v2.0

Yeah, kinda sucks huh? I shouldn't say that since I don't know the hell pilots must go/gone through in air-to-air combat.

Originally posted by Alex Fowler
There was some air-to-air combat in the Gulf War and some Allied planes (including CAPT Scott Speicher's I believe) were lost to enemy aircraft fire.

Yeah, I know that some thirty-five Iraqi MiG-29s (possibly other types) were shot down, and the majority of those kills were made by Eagles. I think it was like thirty-two Eagles kills and no loses. Hell, it could have been all thirty-five that they shot down.

Kulderas

I say we goto war with France...
eyebrows_125.gif

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
then we'll turn around and hit Canada; just to show them that Canadian bacon is really ham...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On the first day of the war two Hornets shot down one MIG-21 a piece in the first Navy strike of the war. CAPT Fox, a CAG now, got one and CDR Mongillo? got the other, he is going to be a Hornet skipper. I think the only other Navy kill of the war was an F-14 shooting down a helo towards the end of the war. USAF F-15's got 33 kills, a mix of Mirage F-1's and MIG-21's, 23's and 29's. A Saudi AF F-15 pilot got 2 F-1's after they went under USAF and an F-14 CAP's. After the war there were a few more kills, at least one by an F-16.

There were a few kills in the mid 90's by F-16's over Bosnia. In one instance they shot down 4 Super Galeb light attack jet trainers, the Yugoslav equivilant of the Hawk. That was an even fight. In Kosovo there were around 9? kills, most by F-15's against MIG-29's or 21's. A Dutch F-16 got a MIG-29 as well.

As for other aerial combat, how about Peru vs Ecuador? In 1995 they had some clashes during a border dispute and Ecuadorian Kfir's shot down 2 or 3 Peruvian Su-22's. Eritrea and Ethiopia had a full blown war over a border dispute with thousands dead on both sides in the late 90's. Eritrea had MIG-29's and Ethiopia had Su-27's. Mostly flown by former Soviet pilots, a few on each side were shot down. Talk about bizarre. There are still a few air clashes left, you just have to look really hard.

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
Originally posted by version2point0
that'll surprise the hell outta them :)

-v2.0

Haha, hell yeah!

Flash! Johnny-on-the-spot! That's way more information that I expected. Thanks a bunch.
thumbup_125.gif

airwinger

pilot
Little known fact is that Col "Rico" Rodriguez is the current high scoring fighter pilot. A former A-10 guy he ended up flying eagles, got 2 in Desert Storm then 2 more in the Kosovo campaign. He was featured in Wings of Fury(good read about dogfighting) Then I met an F-15 guy who said he had 4 kills. It's out on the web somewhere if you look.

Plus in 1994 Capt "Wilbur"Wright shot down 3 Galebs in Yugoslavia, his wingman apparently had some kind of problem and faild to get a kill. Later he(wingman) got shot down and is now infinitely more famous than the "Three kills" in a day fighterpilot.

semper fi

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
I have a picture of me sitting with an F-15 pilot. I think it was an F-15E. The Strike Eagles are tandem seated right?

zachary2777

Banned
F-15Es have two seats and are primarily used for air to ground. F-15Cs are single seat and are mostly air to air. C models will be replaced by the F-22 and I think the Es will be around for awhile.

-Zak

Status
Not open for further replies.