• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hopefully this concept remains with DARPA and remains just a concept

Trev82

pilot

Can we please stop blending helos and fixed? I think one osprey is enough for the aviation community...

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
DARPA has been working on that same concept well back into the 1980s.

I remember seeing this thing as a kid:

X-Wing_ec86-33555-2.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looks like the love child of an MH-60 and a T-39.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Im actually surprised they arent looking at something more along the lines of "The 6th Day"... Compared to these other concepts that design seemed fairly feasible, with the exception that you would have to find a way to flip the retreating blade around when it transitions to fixed wing... but that said it seems like finding a way to do that would be more practical that having all the drag associated with the disk, or an unused rotor.

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
@SynixMan - My first thoughts exactly.

@HackerF15E - That thing reminds me of one of optimus prime with space shuttle attachments (from a really old episode).

@statesman - Gonna have to agree with you.

Trev82

pilot
Instead of flushing money into DARPA for farsighted, never put into production fantasies the Marine Corps could sure use that cheddar for something practical such as accelerating the production and already finished concept of the 53K so us young studs have a chance to fly one in the future

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Blended helos and fixed wing is the next step in aviation. The key will be to use new technologies to simplify, vice complicate, how we do it.

The disc rotor looks interesting, though I wonder how things such as how it counters torque and how they do the flight controls, e.g. unless that big center disc moves, how to they direct the thrust vector?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Instead of flushing money into DARPA for farsighted, never put into production fantasies the Marine Corps could sure use that cheddar for something practical such as accelerating the production and already finished concept of the 53K so us young studs have a chance to fly one in the future

Have you looked up anything DARPA has come up with?