• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Holy Shit....this dude is one lucky SOB!

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I think you can see the wind getting knocked out of that guy in the third picture. One lucky SOB.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I don't know what caused this crash but that's what the end of a stall spin looks like in a sailplane. Looks like this guy lived because he was lucky and because his sailplane's cockpit was strengthened beyond what is normal. (That wing hitting first may not have hurt either.)

One of my very good friends died years ago exactly like that. First flight in a one of a kind high performance homebuilt called an HP-18. It had a side stick when nothing else did, a T-tail and a wicked over the the top spin entry. A short restricted grass field, pilot with more money than skill, PIO on tow and an early release. Add a slow/low uncoordinated turn back to the field, an over the top entry and in just one short rotation he was dead.

Those are fantastic pictures but they damn sure give me the willies

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
No post fire crash . . . musta been out of gas . . .

ii only make this joke because he is expected to make a full recovery . . . :D

CAMike

None
Contributor
This dude is REALLY good, he didn't even have to re-pack his purple parachute.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I don't know what caused this crash but that's what the end of a stall spin looks like in a sailplane. Looks like this guy lived because he was lucky and because his sailplane's cockpit was strengthened beyond what is normal. (That wing hitting first may not have hurt either.)

One of my very good friends died years ago exactly like that. First flight in a one of a kind high performance homebuilt called an HP-18. It had a side stick when nothing else did, a T-tail and a wicked over the the top spin entry. A short restricted grass field, pilot with more money than skill, PIO on tow and an early release. Add a slow/low uncoordinated turn back to the field, an over the top entry and in just one short rotation he was dead.

Those are fantastic pictures but they damn sure give me the willies

I saw a guy go cross-controlled stall spin style flying along a ridge in TN a few years ago. He got banged up pretty good. It was a classic example of getting too low and trying to use the rudder to turn the airplane rather than stay coordinated. It looked similar to the above pics, except he went into pine trees. I agree, it gives me chills (and is a great reminder to stay coordinated and not try to "stretch" the glide).

ryan1234

don't want to Monday QB at all...but...

Gliders usually have a tremendous amount of adverse yaw... so for the average piston pilot who is used to dealing with gyro-precession, p-factor, etc and not too much adverse yaw.... combine that with a nose high turn and a slower airspeed.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
don't want to Monday QB at all...but...

Gliders usually have a tremendous amount of adverse yaw... .

Yup. Glider pilots get very good with the rudder pedals. On some aircraft you lead with rudder when initiating a turn. When you are thermalling in light lift (almost by definition "nose high turn and a slower airspeed") you are on the verge of a stall spin for much of your flight. That's why spin training is still an important part of the syllabus for a private glider ticket.

It's too bad there isn't any music on this video but below is a great example what a glider airshow routine looks like from the cockpit. The amazing part is the energy management. Lots of low stuff from 4:00 to the end. Very nice low pass at 4:45.

[video=google;-1558781621735840846]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1558781621735840846&hl=en&emb=1#[/video]

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the video, what does he have his left hand on?? I know he does not have a throttle, per se, but he sure is using it like one.

-ea6bflyr ;)

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
In the video, what does he have his left hand on?? I know he does not have a throttle, per se, but he sure is using it like one.

-ea6bflyr ;)
Only flown a couple kinds of gliders, but looks like spoilers; in case he has to put it down.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That makes sense....as you can tell, I know NOTHING about gliders. I'm assuming the other lever he was grabbing was the landing gear.

-ea6bflyr ;)