• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Holster Styles for the Sandbox

sarnav

Second the Safari Land for the drop leg as it has a good safety system in place and it is easily adjustable. Only problems are cost compared to others, and like many have said, that a drop leg might be impractical. For the ultimate in gucci gear you could go with a vest with a cross draw style, dont know how it would work with body armor but it looks to be a favorite of many a gear whore. Try both on and see what is comfortable, and if you cant decide Steve had a good point-get both.

phrogpilot73

I've worn just about all of them. I recommend the Galco Miami Vice looking one... It's incredibly comfortable for long periods of time. It runs about $100, and I was trying to find it online but couldn't. I'll edit this when I can so you can get a link.

phrogpilot73

FlyinSpy said:
Given the degree of deep kimchi that senior elements of the Prowler community have gotten into recently for discussing too many operational details, I'm going to clam up on the when/where/why/what issue.

The question on holsters was not while airborne, but only while on the ground. I was out at DESERT TALON back in December, and heard mixed opinions from some of the Bagram guys concerning the holster issue. I may be fixated on #2 issues (childhood traumas....), but I have these visions of having to retrieve my weapon from the bottom of a well-used latrine. I've seen pics of guys with both rigs, and was wondering who preferred which and why.
Were you at DT as aircrew? I was there for the air officer portion of it...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
T.M.Gray said:
1) No, the article was written as if the det was over. It isn't. VAQ 141 is still there.
2) I have no info on VAQ 209.
You're missing the point - never mind.

Brett

Q-ball

Marine CH-53E Pilot
pilot
I second the GALCO leather shoulder holster. I used a Blackhawk drop holster for a few months last year, but it was a real pain in the butt. I switched to the GALCO about halfway through the deployment, and was happy I did. As far as dropping a deuce in the porta-johns, there is usually a little hook in there for you to hang your holster on.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Well, the majority of us seem to favor the shoulder rig -- what a surprise --- but I would go with a synthetic vice a leather setup for many reasons. Heat, sweat, cleaning, maintenance, $$$ cost, leather "stinks" when it repeatedly gets sweaty, etc., etc.

Also ... can you "carry" at any angle you desire ??? I.e., 45 degrees, or horizontal ??? Or is it militarily mandated that shoulder holsters will feature a vertical carry position only ??? All things to think about ....

40SH00BK_4.jpg
40SH00BK_2.jpg
40SH00BK_3.jpg

For example:

BlackHawk ANGLE DRAW SHOULDER HOLSTER

40SH00BK
BLACKHAWK® ANGLE DRAW SHOULDER HOLSTER
The ADSH allows for comfortable concealment on or off duty. It provides a quick and efficient draw due to its 45* set angle. Twin spare mag carriers provide extra ammo storage and balance out the rig. Wt: 11 oz.
• Dual retention thumb break
• Adjustable belt attachment strap
• Fully adjustable harness system
• Dual mag pouch with adjustable attachment strap
• Fully ambidextrous
• One size fits most small, medium and large frame weapons

SKU: 40SH00BK
Price: $54.95

phrogpilot73

Here's the one I carried:

ViewLargePic.asp

After 7 months in Iraq, no problems with sweat, stink, etc... Really well made holster. The SINGLE most comfortable holster I've ever worn... Fit well under flight gear, over body armor, around Al Asad. It truly can't be beat.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
phrogpilot73 said:

ViewLargePic.asp

After 7 months in Iraq, no problems with sweat, stink, etc... Really well made holster. The SINGLE most comfortable holster I've ever worn... Fit well under flight gear, over body armor, around Al Asad. It truly can't be beat.

Thanks for the gouge - I think the takeaway here is (once again) "you get what you pay for". The GALCO model seems to be the "Cadillac of Shoulder Holsters".

We were at DT back in December, but only for the first three (academic) days; no flying for us this time, other than the O/I to get there. Useful information, but I can officially cross Yuma off my list of "Future Retirement/Vacation Destinations"....

phrogpilot73

FlyinSpy said:
Thanks for the gouge - I think the takeaway here is (once again) "you get what you pay for". The GALCO model seems to be the "Cadillac of Shoulder Holsters".

We were at DT back in December, but only for the first three (academic) days; no flying for us this time, other than the O/I to get there. Useful information, but I can officially cross Yuma off my list of "Future Retirement/Vacation Destinations"....
It is. It felt like I wasn't wearing it most days. Very well balanced. Just make sure you get a lanyard, I saw one guy riding his bike down the hill and the thumb break got caught on his flight suit... I watched his pistol fall out and skid across the ground for a good 25 ft.

Tell me you at least checked out Hunter Steakhouse and Burgers & Beer while you were there. Yuma's not that bad - it was my 4th time there in about a year and a half, so I've learned my way around...

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
phrogpilot73 said:

ViewLargePic.asp

Follow-up to an old thread: Rep points to Phrogpilot for knowing what he is talking about - just got my sweet new like-new-used Galco Miami holster, and it really is comfortable. Way better than other stuff I've worn.

Tip: It pays to be a saavy Internet shopper.

List price: $180.
Shop around via Google: ~$130.
Ebay "buy it now": $125.
Sniping the low bid on a no-reserve Ebay auction for a sweet left-handed Sig model: $56. Not "priceless", but I love saving a buck....

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
"Cool Factor"

IMHO it doesn't get any better than this. Though it is impratical in the cockpit, nothing looks cooler.

saburo-sword.jpg

But if you want to carry a gun, vice a cool katana, then I'd not go with the thigh holster. I flew with a thigh holster and it worked better than putting my sidearm in the flare pouch on my SV-2, which didn't have a holster built in. It wasn't that great, however, as it was never that stable. More than good enough to fly with, however. I wasn't wearing a belt either, so I looped it through the bottom of my SV-2. The SV-2 preculded me from using a shoulder rig.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
phrogpilot73 said:
Tell me you at least checked out Hunter Steakhouse and Burgers & Beer while you were there. Yuma's not that bad - it was my 4th time there in about a year and a half, so I've learned my way around...

I've done 4 years in Yuma, numerous dets there as an FRS IP, and will be moving back there from my one year "good deal" in Okinawa in 44 and a wake-up. If anybody wants the gouge on where to go/what to do there on libbo, let me know.

Yuma is a great place to live and a sh!tty place to visit. It helps to be married as there is a SERIOUS ass deficit there (except Platinums). Great Mexican food, golf, hunting/shooting, and dirtbike riding.

As far as holsters go, I think that if you use anything but a shoulder holster overe there, you'll look like a gear-queer. I didn't have anything, so I made my gas-mask carrier into a modified backpack and used my issue green clip holder under my arm on the gas mask strap. It was ghetto, but it worked. Plus it provided me a place to stash my weapon when entering "Planet Jaber" , the only place in Kuwait that you were not allowed to bring a weapon. They never seemed to notice that (after kicking me out for having a pistol) I had somehow found some sort of armory to store my weapon in in the 30 seconds that it took for me to get back inside. Gotta love the air force MWR dudes. Can't get anything past them.

phrogpilot73

Harrier Dude said:
Yuma is a great place to live and a sh!tty place to visit. It helps to be married as there is a SERIOUS ass deficit there (except Platinums). Great Mexican food, golf, hunting/shooting, and dirtbike riding.
Ahhhh, Platinums... I have a stack of T-shirts that would make most people envious. Can you say "Extravaganza!" I didn't think it was a bad place to visit, chalk it up to the first time I went was as Tac Support for WTI. Spent alot of time checking the place out. Of course, for WTI it wasn't as fun - but still more fun being away from the command structure of the squadron.