• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HMX-1 platforms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tessone

Does anyone know if there is a trend concerning which platforms feed into HMX-1? Do they select pilots from all the rotary platforms to man spots in the squadron and receive training in the VH configuration choppers, or do they pull from a specific subset of rotary platforms?

--
Chris Tessone
http://www.polyglut.net/

Lt_SNA_USMC

I thought someone told me they pull from all platforms, but it's real competitive (obviously--you're flying the president). Like they only take those with tons of flight time, etc. Anyone know any rank requirements?
Lt. Williamson

Tessone

I'd be interesting in hearing them, too, as well as avg number of hours.

--
Chris Tessone

bigfig

HMX-1 primarily uses two helicopters for presidential transport: VH-3Ds (VIP version of the old navy S-3) and VH-60s (VIP version of the blackhawk). The VH-3 is the typical "Marine One" heli that makes all the newsreels. These are the 'whitetop' side of HMX-1.

There is also the 'greentop' side of HMX-1. These are the standard -53s and -46s, that work in support of presidential airlifts (i.e. carry secret service CAT teams or staff/press, etc) and I believe also support a lot of training down in Quantico. Also, the unit also has other aircraft for training/experiemental purposes (hence HM'X').

I have heard that the VH-3 training is contracted out, since the navy doesn't fly many of them (if any) anymore. My guess is that the pilots have to go through an extensive vetting process, and are mostly majors/lt cols flying the president around, but that is just a guess.

Hope that helps.

Tessone

I understand that the VH platform training has been contracted out, and I know the platforms on the greenside of HMX-1. What I'm interested in is finding out what platforms feed into HMX-1. Obviously, if you're flying around in an F-18, they're not going to choose you to fly Marine One, but that's an extreme case. I'm wondering if only -53 pilots are chosen (since that's the major platform on the greenside), or if they pull from all chopper communities (since everyone has to learn the VH models from the start anyway).

--
Chris Tessone

Tessone

Well, being in DC would be nice, high profile duty, a change in platform, being around spit-and-polish Marines all the time, best of the best (in rotary aviation, anyway). Is it that hard to understand?

--
Chris Tessone

Tessone

So what you're saying is people who want into HMX are crazy because you wouldn't want the duty?

I happen to like DC; your personal experience doesn't apply to everyone. As for enjoying being in HMX, read what Crowbar said. You really need to learn that you don't know everything, dude.

--
Chris Tessone

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The pilots selected for HMX can come from any rotary-wing MOS, though they are most frequently 46 or 53 pilots. I have met one former HMX pilot who was a huey guy, but it's rare. It isn't considered as career-enhancing for skid kids.

As far as the draw for HMX, I've tossed it around a lot, being a 46 guy. Downsides: VIP lifts are a pain. You can't bank too hard, lest his majesty spills his coffee; you have to touch down like a feather, etc. I have enough experience hauling lower-echelon VIPs, like flag Os and foreign muckety-mucks to realize that this part of the job would suck. Also, no tactical flying and little NVG time. You're gone a lot as well, but at least you're not on a damned ship!

Upsides: for assualt pilots, career enhancement--most assault squadron COs are either WTIs or HMX alums or both. Variety--ne gets to fly 3-4 different helos. I think that's pretty cool--you can say, "If it has rotors, I can fly it." Gear--good maintenance support, shiny clean birds, near 100% full mission capable (FMC) rates. Important job--yes, only 3-4 officers actually get to manipulate the controls with POTUS on board, but you're still performing a big service for the country, even if it's just the Undersecretary of Agriculture in the back that day. Quantico--I really like DC, but regardless, compared to most USMC bases, Q looks like Buckingham Palace. The day I checked into New River, I thought,"What, does the Bulgarian Air Force fly here? This place is a dump!"

Whether it's worth it depends on your PERSONAL PRIORITIES. I've been tossing the idea around a little, myself. 'Course HMX is a 4-year tour, and that would mean extending my commitment, which is another question entirely.

Phrogs phorever

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
They experiment with the operational evaluation of new helicopter components and equipment. That's a lot of what the "green side" does. If theres a new FLIR, rotor blade, whatever, they'll take it around for a few spins to see whether the fleet should buy it.

Phrogs phorever

Lt_SNA_USMC

Phrog: you like flying 46s? Have you looked at civilian helicopter jobs? Any comment on flying commercial helicopters? (law enforcement, EMS, etc) How would your military ratings/flight time translate to the civilian sector? Sorry I'm full of questions.
Lt. Williamson, USMC

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
I do like flying 46s. The assault support misson is one of the best.

I looked into flying helos commercially. If you want to do it, don't do it for the money. The best civilian helo jobs top out at about 80K, with most starting in the 30s to 40s. You can make better money in the military, especially with the aviation bonus.

The only law enforcement helo jobs that really float my boat are the federal ones--Customs, DEA, and FBI HRT support, and I am looking at those fairly seriously. One, the federal agencies all have tactical aspects to their flying, especially the Customs job. Two, most local LE helo jobs have you walking a beat for 1-3 years before you start flying. Three, most local police helo work consists of shining searchlights on suspects in bushes, which is neat, but not like FAST-roping troops on NVGs.

Helicopter EMS looked interesting at first--medevacing shock/trauma patients, etc., but if you look at the flying itself, it's mostly point A to point B 500 feet AGL and above. Again, why give up flying at 100' on NVGs?

Then there are the miscellaneous cats and dogs, like petroleum support (flying to oil rigs) and corporate flying. Again, the main challenge in both of those is contending with weather conditions and high priority flights. Military flying is still generally cooler.

This isn't to say that there aren't interesting opportunities out there. Saudi Arabia hires tandem-rotor pilots by the truckload to train their CH-47 pilots. Great pay, crappy location. A company called Dyn-Corp hires pilots to do contract counter-drug work for the State Dept in Colombia. You have to catch the right wave though, and probably not have a family, either.

The military will give you the ratings you need. If you take the FAA written tests w/in a certain time of getting your wings, you can get your single engine commercial airplane, your rotorcaft, and your commercial instrument ratings right off the bat. As far as competing for civilian jobs, you'll need a lot of hours. 1500 min total time, 1000 pilot-in-command is a baseline. Civil carriers won't hire with any less for insurance reasons. That's more than you'll have after one fleet tour, which means either more time in the fleet, or going to a "B" billet like instructing in flight school. Flight school duty will also get you qualed in the Bell 206, which is a very common bird on the outside.

Phrogs phorever

Lt_SNA_USMC

Great gouge phrog. Thanks. I assume you end up with about 1000 hours after flight school and your first tour, right? I plan to stay in the Marine Corps as long as possible.
Now B-billets-- you can IP for your B-billet? I think that would be great duty. You know anything about it? Is it hard to get it? It would be great especially if you could get to IP at inter/advanced in helos. How long is a tour as an IP?

Lt. "Full of Questions"

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
New River's a fine place to work. I like North Carolina. It's just that the physical condition of the base is pretty poor.

At the end of my first fleet tour, I had 1250 total hours, about 450 PIC. I'm a helo IP now--it's not that hard to get. It's either a 2 or 3 year tour--your choice.

Phrogs phorever

Status
Not open for further replies.