• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HMX-1 MV-22

Yankee Uniform Tango
Didn't think they'd actually make these! No white top though :)

AAbnmwn.jpg

Rcp7R09.jpg

wInMvBD.jpg

KSmgylT.jpg

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd like to see the bling on the inside....the outside does look nice!

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I went into a Marine-1 H-3, I was very UNDERwhelmed with the cockpit. The cabin was nice, but was a bit less than I expected.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Seen both the VH-3 and the VH-60, both were pretty on the outside but not what I expected on the inside. Very plain indeed, just a couple of nice chairs is all they really had.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Interesting. I heard that HMX-1 received a bunch of Phrogs last year.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I was thinking of missions following AF1. I've seen pictures of a 60 being loaded into a C-17 for AF1 mission support.

From my experience with the HMX-1 guys the 60's normally travel on a C-17, the H-3 flies to the support site and the MX crew comes in on a C-130. We support them when they're in Cleveland.

helolumpy

pilot
Contributor
The H-3's remain east of the Rockies. Anything outside of that area will be H-60's.
To put the H-3 in a C-17/C-5, you have to take the rotor head off and that means an FCF after you get it put back together.
An H-60 can fit inside without needing an FCF on the back-end.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The H-3's remain east of the Rockies. Anything outside of that area will be H-60's.
To put the H-3 in a C-17/C-5, you have to take the rotor head off and that means an FCF after you get it put back together. An H-60 can fit inside without needing an FCF on the back-end.

I thought that was the main (or only?) reason they have H-60's, for missions further away from DC that require a helo easier to transport on C-5/17's.

helolumpy

pilot
Contributor
We had an HMX-1 det to support a POTUS visit and I got a tour of the H-3 and got to talk to the Det OIC, an O-4 which is where I got my info.

Additionally, it's tougher to come by H-3 parts these days. H-60 parts can be pretty much found at your local quickie-mart now....

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Huh, I thought that thing looked hideous, but then I think that of all the V-22s, so I guess I'm biased.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Come on, we're talking about rotorcraft here. Compared to her competition, the Osprey is downright glamorous-looking!

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
So, the question remains, do they get the requisite 5 to make 1 over at HMX?