• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hill Running at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

boy2marine03

This question is primarily directed towards those individuals who have been to and/or graduated from OCS. When on PT runs at OCS, how much hill running do you do? I'm also curious about the size of most of the hills that candidates run. Thanx.

Zeo

I'm not an OCS grad, but this is what a few ocs grads told me at marineocs.com.....

1. The Hills at OCS aren't that bad. It depends on the types of hills you are used to. The Jr's courses have a few short gradual hills and one very steep fairly short hill. Get used to running on hills if possible, it will help. I would reccomend running 4-5 days a week. Running 2-3 miles at your fastest pace a couple of times, and longer runs like you are doing at a slower pace. The shorter runs will help improve pft times and the long runs increase endurance. Endurance is key at OCS. Variation in routine is also important, don't run at the same pace for the same distance everyday because at OCS you wont. Mix it up and vary your running distances and pace.

2. Well, there are all kinds. Just lots of them. And yes, there are long and steep hills. You will find out on your first run after the pft, Da Nang is a son of a biatch. But its obviously not that bad or no one could do it right? Hey whatever motivates you to do it. Just remember while you are there, there have been many candidates before you and there will be many after you that have done it. Its all good stuff.

3. I graduated seniors this summer. I'd say to have plenty of hills in your running workout like the other candidates said. If you live in a flat area like myself in Central Florida, run up the slopes of parking garages. That's what I do at UCF.

4. makes sure you run with boots. The E-Course SUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

boy2marine03

Thanx. I appreciate the info. One more thing, do the SIs and Platoon Sergeants chew out the candidates that have trouble getting up the hills but never quit? I'm asking because I'm preparing myself for the worst.

Jonathan Williamson

Originally posted by boy2marine03
Thanx. I appreciate the info. One more thing, do the SIs and Platoon Sergeants chew out the candidates that have trouble getting up the hills but never quit? I'm asking because I'm preparing myself for the worst.

Ours did. DaNang does suck but once you run it 3 - 4 times it doesn't seem so bad.

jaerose

I heard the hill runs in Marine OCS make the curse of Sissyfus look easy =)

JR

FYI, Sissyfus was damned to push a boulder up a mountain for eternity.

Status
Not open for further replies.